7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We still have a year before ROC, but the way the timing works we will have only filed two years jointly, we will be able to provide one tax transcript

(2011) but 2012 will just be filed so we will submit what we can (w-2s, copy of signed forms). 2010 I filed single, since we got married early 2011.

However I have seen a lot of people saying to include 3 years of taxes. Since it was only a two year GC for a majority of us, how can you provide 3 years?

Just trying to figure this out.

We have plenty of other co-mingling docs- credit card, joint car, joint bank account, life/health/car/rental insurance, rental agreement, photos, mail, ids, etc...

Any one out there who only filled with two years? (Its seems obvious to me)...

Thanks!

We still have a year before ROC, but the way the timing works we will have only filed two years jointly, we will be able to provide one tax transcript

(2011) but 2012 will just be filed so we will submit what we can (w-2s, copy of signed forms). 2010 I filed single, since we got married early 2011.

However I have seen a lot of people saying to include 3 years of taxes. Since it was only a two year GC for a majority of us, how can you provide 3 years?

We have plenty of other co-mingling docs- credit card, joint car, joint bank account, life/health/car/rental insurance, rental agreement, photos, mail, ids, etc...

Thanks!

Don't make mistake like many people does (including me) by not having joint bank account & credit account. You still have 1 year of time so below items most likely compensate your tax return issue:

1) Joint bank account statements (must)

2) Joint credit card statements (must)

3) Joint mortgage/ rent lease

4) Joint medical / dental / life insurance (almost a must)

5) Visit doctors frequently (assuming you have joint insurance) just for monthly check up & keep saving the bills that will be mailed to both of you.

6) Have the foreign spouses relatives send mails/card by postal service & keep saving the envelopes

7) Joint car insurance

8) Go to vacations. Doesn't have to be long or expensive. At least spend I would say 1 weekend in every 4 months in close by city/state & keep saving the hotel reservation & flight/train/bus booking confirmation.

9) If you like pets, get a dog or cat & get certificate from appropriate authority stating both of you are the pet owner.

10) Open AAA / Costco membership (If money is no issue)

12) Make sure both of you always have driver's license or state issued ID card with same address. (almost a must)

13) create a will (from wells fargo or talk to your bank). Add the spouse to your will

14) Sponsor an animal in local zoo (doesn't cost too much). Get joint certificate of sponsorship.

15) Shop online (ebay/amazon). Make sure to use spouse's name as recipient. Again, doesn't have to be anything expensive or too frequently. At least 1 item in every 2 month.

16) Gas, cable, electric bills in both names

17) Add spouse to your work emergency contract.

18) Take pictures together (possibly in different outlook,hair style) in every 2 months.

I wish someone had told me all this 1 year ago :( Good luck.

Edited by rosco_qa

Don't make mistake like many people does (including me) by not having joint bank account & credit account. You still have 1 year of time so below items most likely compensate your tax return issue:

1) Joint bank account statements (must)

2) Joint credit card statements (must)

3) Joint mortgage/ rent lease

4) Joint medical / dental / life insurance (almost a must)

5) Visit doctors frequently (assuming you have joint insurance) just for monthly check up & keep saving the bills that will be mailed to both of you.

6) Have the foreign spouses relatives send mails/card by postal service & keep saving the envelopes

7) Joint car insurance

8) Go to vacations. Doesn't have to be long or expensive. At least spend I would say 1 weekend in every 4 months in close by city/state & keep saving the hotel reservation & flight/train/bus booking confirmation.

9) If you like pets, get a dog or cat & get certificate from appropriate authority stating both of you are the pet owner.

10) Open AAA / Costco membership (If money is no issue)

12) Make sure both of you always have driver's license or state issued ID card with same address. (almost a must)

13) create a will (from wells fargo or talk to your bank). Add the spouse to your will

14) Sponsor an animal in local zoo (doesn't cost too much). Get joint certificate of sponsorship.

15) Shop online (ebay/amazon). Make sure to use spouse's name as recipient. Again, doesn't have to be anything expensive or too frequently. At least 1 item in every 2 month.

16) Gas, cable, electric bills in both names

17) Add spouse to your work emergency contract.

18) Take pictures together (possibly in different outlook,hair style) in every 2 months.

I wish someone had told me all this 1 year ago :( Good luck.

19) Get joint phone plan (I know T-Mobile has it. Figure it out). Always use your joint credit card, joint bank account (debit card) to bay bills (phone, gift, e.t.c)

20) The most powerful proof: Have a baby :)

Edited by rosco_qa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks!

You cannot provide what you do not have. The joint tax transcripts are for proof of living your lives as a married couple and co-mingling everything. You will provide them along with all your other evidence that spans the time of your marriage. Provide the transcripts that show you filed jointly, no matter how many years worth that might be for you as a couple.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Thanks!

You will be fine, even 2 years IRS Tax Transcripts are enough as long as you have other primary documents which show co-mingling finances during the span of marriage before the ROC.

Make sure they are IRS Tax Transcripts. Good luck !....

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks- we have plenty of other evidence to go along with them, I have been collecting since he got here- was just trying to figure out why so many people were talking about 3 years of transcripts. (I guess for spousal visa vs. K-1)

I filed with just 1 year of tax returns because this is all we had - we got married in Feb 2010, got GC in May 2010 and filed for ROC in Feb this year - we only had the 2010 transcript and had not filed 2011 yet because my husband is a shareholder and needed to wait for his K-1 form to be able to file and they provide that in the end of March. I included a brief explanation in our package that we were not married in 2009 and have not filed 2011 yet. I might get RFE'd, in which case I'll send them a copy of the 2011 return, which I now have but as of now, over 2 months after filing, they have not asked for anything else (I know sometimes it takes them months though, so it's still possible).

Edited by DaniG

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.