djones

Questions and Advise for K1 visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I’m Derek and my fiancé is a British Citizen. I am currently looking over the K1 visa. With my questions, I found this website. There seems to be a great community here, full of knowledgeable and experienced people.

I understand this process is long and precise, so I want to do everything right the first time to get a smooth approval and prevent any unnecessary delays. If I can learn from all of you and get any advice, that would be great

Our Story:

In 2004 my sister met Holly online in a forum when they were in high school. They became great friends, pin pals for 2 years before they met.

In 2006 Holly came to the United States to meet my sister. This is when I officially met Holly. She stayed at our house for a month. My sister and Holly remained great friends till this day. But I also kept in touch with Holly via Facebook and Skype.

In 2010 our friendship grew even closer.

In Feb of 2011 we were officially a couple.

In Feb of 2012 she came to the United States for our first year anniversary.

February 14, 2012 I proposed, and she became my beautiful fiancé.

She is back home (in England) while we get our papers in order for the K1 visa.

My questions:

1. For question 18 on the I-129F form, the box explaining how we met in person, I can fit a short explanation there. But is it recommended to provide more on an additional sheet of paper? Is it good to have a long detailed story or is keeping it short and simple on the form just fine? What do you recommend I write?

2. Proof of our bona fide relationship. I have record of daily calls and chat logs via Skype. I have email history and Facebook message history as well.

However, we don’t have any photos together. Reason being, in 2011 I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, although they are still unsure, as my stomach and intestines continue to have a mind of their own. Doctor’s are still trying to figure out what treatment plan is best for me. In February I had my gallbladder removed. Holly was here when I had the operation. But because of my sickness, I look like a skeleton and I don’t like my appearance. So I never took any photos of myself with Holly. We have tons of photos from our vacation but of only her in the places we visited. If only there was a way to prove that I took the photos.

So all I have are daily Skype calls and chat logs. And of course email and Facebook history. How many logs would you recommend I include with the I-129F package, perhaps a month of logs? And will this be sufficient enough since we do not have photos? Should I explain why we don’t have photos or would that be unnecessary?

I also have many tickets for events we went to, with the dates stamped during her vacation here, but they do not have our names. Would sending copies of these be pointless then?

3. Bellow is what I have gathered to send. Is there anything I am missing or should add to the packet for extra benefit? Any other advice you can give me? Thank you in advance!

My Packet:

My I-129 F Package includes:

Cover Letter

Check Payment in the amount of $340.00

I-129F form

*maybe* I-129F Supplement: Part B, Question 18, explanation of meeting in person

G-325A and passport style photo of me

G-325A and passport style photo of her

My Birth certificate copy or copy of my US Passport

My letter certifying intent to marry

Her letter certifying intent to marry

Proof of having met in person in the past two years (Feb 2012 flight ticket)

Proof of ongoing relationship (Skype call time and chat logs)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. For question 18 on the I-129F form, the box explaining how we met in person, I can fit a short explanation there. But is it recommended to provide more on an additional sheet of paper? Is it good to have a long detailed story or is keeping it short and simple on the form just fine? What do you recommend I write?

2. Proof of our bona fide relationship. I have record of daily calls and chat logs via Skype. I have email history and Facebook message history as well.

However, we don’t have any photos together. Reason being, in 2011 I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, although they are still unsure, as my stomach and intestines continue to have a mind of their own. Doctor’s are still trying to figure out what treatment plan is best for me. In February I had my gallbladder removed. Holly was here when I had the operation. But because of my sickness, I look like a skeleton and I don’t like my appearance. So I never took any photos of myself with Holly. We have tons of photos from our vacation but of only her in the places we visited. If only there was a way to prove that I took the photos.

So all I have are daily Skype calls and chat logs. And of course email and Facebook history. How many logs would you recommend I include with the I-129F package, perhaps a month of logs? And will this be sufficient enough since we do not have photos? Should I explain why we don’t have photos or would that be unnecessary?

I also have many tickets for events we went to, with the dates stamped during her vacation here, but they do not have our names. Would sending copies of these be pointless then?

I think you are grossly overdoing it, when I went to my interview they wanted one photo of us together.

Keep it simple.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

QUESTIONS:

1) This is really up to you, I really like your story that you wrote here on VJ witch is great on a additional sheet of paper!

2) Proof of a bona fide relationship is best with proof of Face-Time, Photos are the best, then airline tickets, passport stamps, phone records, Emails, etc!

3) looks good, just remember that if you send a photocopy of your Birth certificate to include both front and back!

Good Luck on your journey :thumbs:

USCIS

05/29/2011: Married

08/12/2011: Sent I-130 packet.

08/15/2011: NOA1, Priority Date

02/22/2012: NOA2 - Approved

02/25/2012: NOA2 - Received hard copy in mail

NVC

03/06/2012: NVC received

03/07/2012: NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned

03/08/2012: DS3032 sent by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Re-send DS3032 by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Received (2)Email with DS-3032 Kit and AOS Bill instructions

03/14/2012: AOS bill appears as PAID

03/16/2012: Mailed AOS package (I-864)USPS EXPRESS

03/16/2012: DS-3032 Accepted Via Beneficiary Email (Took 8 DAYS from 1st Email)

03/20/2012: IV bill invoiced & paid $404.00

03/21/2012: IV bill Payment reflecting PAID / AOS checklist received

03/30/2012: IV package DS-230 sent via USPS Priority

04/02/2012: IV package Delivered @ 11:55 am w/signature

04/12/2012: Re-Sent DS-230 Part 1 W/Photocopy of receipt from Hong Kong Police Via USPS EXPRESS

04/13/2012: DS-230 Part 1 package Delivered to NVC ATTN:DR @11:52am

04/17/2012: CASE COMPLETE (41 Days @NVC)

04/22/2012: Request Expedite

04/24/2012: Expedite Approved!(2days)

04/25/2012: Case sent to U.S. Consulate General in HONG KONG

Medical / US Consulate / POE:

04/30/2012: U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong received

05/16/2012: Interview Scheduled May 22, 2012

05/22/2012: Interview APPROVED!!!!!!

05/26/2012: Visa in Hand (9 months 11 days from NOA1)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I’m Derek and my fiancé is a British Citizen. I am currently looking over the K1 visa. With my questions, I found this website. There seems to be a great community here, full of knowledgeable and experienced people.

I understand this process is long and precise, so I want to do everything right the first time to get a smooth approval and prevent any unnecessary delays. If I can learn from all of you and get any advice, that would be great

Our Story:

In 2004 my sister met Holly online in a forum when they were in high school. They became great friends, pin pals for 2 years before they met.

In 2006 Holly came to the United States to meet my sister. This is when I officially met Holly. She stayed at our house for a month. My sister and Holly remained great friends till this day. But I also kept in touch with Holly via Facebook and Skype.

In 2010 our friendship grew even closer.

In Feb of 2011 we were officially a couple.

In Feb of 2012 she came to the United States for our first year anniversary.

February 14, 2012 I proposed, and she became my beautiful fiancé.

She is back home (in England) while we get our papers in order for the K1 visa.

My questions:

3. Bellow is what I have gathered to send. Is there anything I am missing or should add to the packet for extra benefit? Any other advice you can give me? Thank you in advance!

My Packet:

My I-129 F Package includes:

Cover Letter

Check Payment in the amount of $340.00

I-129F form

*maybe* I-129F Supplement: Part B, Question 18, explanation of meeting in person

G-325A and passport style photo of me

G-325A and passport style photo of her

My Birth certificate copy or copy of my US Passport

My letter certifying intent to marry

Her letter certifying intent to marry

Proof of having met in person in the past two years (Feb 2012 flight ticket)

Proof of ongoing relationship (Skype call time and chat logs)

I think it is best to meet again and get pics before you file your I-129. I think very likely you will get RFE or be denied.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I think it is best to meet again and get pics before you file your I-129. I think very likely you will get RFE or be denied.

I will have to agree with Paul. While pictures are considered secondary evidence, you need to send, at least, a few (3 or 4 at different places).

EDIT: It's my understanding that, at the interview stage, the British Consulate does not require much of pictures or even proof on going relationship, but the first ones to see the Petition are not from the British Consulate.. better safe than sorry

Edited by Celeste & C

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.