15 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, but since it's about AOS I decided to post it here.

I don't know much about asylum, but I have a friend who was granted asylum and submitted the AOS (I-485) about 2 years ago. However he hasn't received his green card yet. Is this normal? I understand most AOS cases take a few months. But how about AOS cases from asylum? Do they take longer? Thanks in advance!

F1 Discussion | F1 Poll | F1 Watch List

F1 ~ PD: 08SEP06 ~ Current! cool.png ~ AOS ~ Green Card!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Has your friend ever made an info pass appointment to find out whats going on with the case or called them?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Has your friend ever made an info pass appointment to find out whats going on with the case or called them?

I'm not quite sure, but he says that when he checks his case online it still shows something like "in process".

ETA: I wonder if this long wait is common for asylum AOS or not at all.

Edited by NevermindVz

Timeline

Yes, asylum takes a long time.

Thank you! I understand the asylum process is long and complex. But once asylum has been granted, how long does AOS usually take?

Timeline

According to USCIS Processing Times page (https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do) the times for "I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status - Based on grant of asylum more than 1 year ago" are:

Nebraska: 4 Months

Texas: September 2, 2011

Vermont: 4 Months

So it shouldn't usually take 2 years, right?

Timeline

According to USCIS Processing Times page (https://egov.uscis.g...sDisplayInit.do) the times for "I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status - Based on grant of asylum more than 1 year ago" are:

Nebraska: 4 Months

Texas: September 2, 2011

Vermont: 4 Months

So it shouldn't usually take 2 years, right?

Nebraska, Texas and Vermont do not process AOS. AOS is processed by the National Benefits Center in Missouri.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

I'm not quite sure, but he says that when he checks his case online it still shows something like "in process".

ETA: I wonder if this long wait is common for asylum AOS or not at all.

Really your friend needs to STOP looking at the online case status. That thing is never correct. Your friend needs to book an info pass right away and go speak to someone - see whats going on with the case. Or they need to call USCIS and put in a service request on their case to find out whats going on.

If they have done nothing but check the online status for 2 years they could have problems with their case and not even know about it.

Timeline

Nebraska, Texas and Vermont do not process AOS. AOS is processed by the National Benefits Center in Missouri.

Oh I see, thanks for sharing that. So why would they say "I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status - Based on grant of asylum more than 1 year ago" in the page for Nebraska, Texas and Vermont centers? So confusing.

Timeline

Really your friend needs to STOP looking at the online case status. That thing is never correct. Your friend needs to book an info pass right away and go speak to someone - see whats going on with the case. Or they need to call USCIS and put in a service request on their case to find out whats going on.

If they have done nothing but check the online status for 2 years they could have problems with their case and not even know about it.

I will tell him to do that asap. Thank you so much for all the info!

So, just to double-check, 2 years is not usual, even when doing AOS from asylum status, right?

I have some friends that are going through the same thing and still have not received their green card! and it has been 2 years for them also :(:wacko:

I have some friends that are going through the same thing and still have not received their green card! and it has been 2 years for them also :(:wacko:

28 Dec '11 - I-129F package sent

30 Dec '11 - NOA 1

24 May '12 - NOA 2

27 Jun '12 - NVC Received

29 Jun '12 - NVC left

08 Aug '12 - Interview

I don't think you are right :whistle: , Most of the marriage I-485 are processed by NBC, but I-485 could be processed by different service Centers based on the state that you reside.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Timeline

I don't think you are right :whistle: , Most of the marriage I-485 are processed by NBC, but I-485 could be processed by different service Centers based on the state that you reside.

Thank you for the clarification myafi1985. I was getting all confused.

Another similar case! Have they tried calling or doing an infopass? How could we know if this wait is common or not?

Edited by NevermindVz

• 7 years later...
Timeline

~~8 year old zombie thread locked to further replies. PLease start a new thread is you have questions of your own.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.