ConcordUser

Any thing else I need to do?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I am going through the list and see what else I need to do after the Oath Ceremony.

Applied and received the Passport.

Applied and waiting for the Passport Card.

Went to DMV and updated the status on Drivers License

Went to Social Security office and updated the status.

I'll goto City Hall and register to Vote.

What else do I have to do after the becoming the US Citizen?

I am going through the list and see what else I need to do after the Oath Ceremony.

That's sums it up pretty much.

I also informed my employer about my new citizenship and updated my I-9. Some argue it is unnecessary but I did it anyway since in my profession we file for patents and citizenship info is always asked. So they can just look it up from my files and I do not have to correct them all the time.

--

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think I will have to call dentist, doctors, etc because i'm changing my name.

If you're not changing your name I think you did everything right. :)

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Can someone please tell me what is a passport card? :unsure:

Think its about 30 bucks extra when applying for your US passport book, good for going to Canada or Mexico and about the same size as your green card they will take away. Some feel after naturalization, still have to carry a card of some type.

Employer was the first one my wife wanted to show her certificate to, with an about to expire EAD card, then the two year conditional card, than that crazy one year extension notice they didn't understand and with a $17,000 state fine for hiring an undocumented person, they way constantly hounding her. Once she show them her certificate, that was all history.

Same with my stepdaughter, but that was for her university, always treated second class, and with that certificate was eligible to become a foreign student.

Today, SS is first as they put that into a database the DOS may check first before issuing you a US Passport, even though they have your original naturalization certificate in front of them. Also, some reported having problems with SS because even if you go in there with your original certificate, the USCIS didn't update their database yet. That also sounds crazy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did you notify work that you are now a citizen? You need to make that update with your HR department and possibly fillout a new I9 indicating US citiznship. Bring your passport as proof.

Cheers

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Can someone please tell me what is a passport card? :unsure:

Passport card allows you to travel by land and sea but not air travel. This is used mostly for travel between canada, mexico, caribbean. It is not that expensive to get and easy to carry in your wallet. It can be very useful if you are living in a border state and one of the zealous cops stop you and ask for the proof of citizenship you can show it to them. Considering it is only $30 for a 10 year card, does not hurt to get one and keep it handy.

Timeline

Thank you. I will get one of those cause I live right on the border of Washington and Canada. I pop over to Canada sometimes to shop as their nearest town is closer than my nearest US town. Sounds crazy but that's the way it is here in the forest where I live.

Thanks again. :)

I understand. One of relatives live in a city close to Canada and they are lot more closer to canada than to another city in US. We go often to Montreal to visit since it is 3 hours away for us. I know another friend of mine who lives in Detroit and travel to Windsor, Canada all the time. It is worth getting the card to make the land travel much easier. Also it has RF chip built in and makes the validation at the borders much quicker. I have not used it yet so I am guessing the benefit of having RF chip in the card makes the verificaiton quicker.

I understand. One of relatives live in a city close to Canada and they are lot more closer to canada than to another city in US. We go often to Montreal to visit since it is 3 hours away for us. I know another friend of mine who lives in Detroit and travel to Windsor, Canada all the time. It is worth getting the card to make the land travel much easier. Also it has RF chip built in and makes the validation at the borders much quicker. I have not used it yet so I am guessing the benefit of having RF chip in the card makes the verificaiton quicker.

The RF chip is in the passport book as well. The card has the advantage that they do not need to flip it open :)

Timeline

How do you go about getting this card. IS there an option to get the card on the passport application?

Yes. When you apply for the passport there will be an option to apply for passport+passport card. Choose that option and they will send you both. They are processed at two different locations so you card card and passport come in seperate envelovopes from 2 different locations. You can download the passport application and take a look it. It is clealy explained in the passport application.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Yes. When you apply for the passport there will be an option to apply for passport+passport card. Choose that option and they will send you both. They are processed at two different locations so you card card and passport come in seperate envelovopes from 2 different locations. You can download the passport application and take a look it. It is clealy explained in the passport application.

If you already have your passport book, you are eligible to apply for the passport card by mail using Form DS-82. Still only $30.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.