snowbum

i130 & i485 separate filing

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Howdy, I am a US citizen, married an F1 visa holder and we are planning to apply for AOS. My wife's F1 will expire in the next few months and she is applying for a 1 year extension through OPT (optional practical training). I've read a number of posts on here about filing the i130 and i485 and I understand that the best route is to file those concurrently. However, I'm leaving the US for 1 year and will not be able to return for the interview if it occurs while I am gone, which, from my understanding would result in rejection of our application.

My questions is: should I go ahead and start my i130 now, and file the i485 as soon as we receive approval for the i130? Or, should we hold off and file both as soon as I return?

Advantage to filing separately would be that my wife could apply for her EAD and travel authorization after she files the i485 which might happen before I return.

Also, would there still be an interview if the i130 and i485 are filed separately? I assume so but am just curious.

Thanks for the advise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from AOS from Family visa to AOS from Student visa as OP's wife came on a F1 *****

Is she planning on going with you? If so, you'd be better off waiting a while, then filing for a spousal visa from out of country. Unless she plans on re-enrolling in colege and getting another F1, she cannot come back after a year abroad, even if married to you and even if you have filed the I-130.

If you file for AOS, she will need to stay at least until everything is done, which could be several months, plus she shouldn't be out of the country for more than 6 months once she has the greencard. If she is not going with you/ plans to only visit a couple of times for a couple of weeks, file now, but it will be a huge red flag if a wife of a newly married couple stays in the USA alone for a year.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Hi Penguin, thanks for your response. She will remain in the US completing her OPT authorized employment. As we understand it, she can't actually leave the US during this period, until she's filed her i485 and received a travel authorization. We understand that me being out of the country while she is still here won't help our application- that's one of the big reasons for delaying the submission of the concurrent i130/i1485 application, or submitting the i130 and 1485 separately. It's a bit of a unique situation, but we appreciate the feedback.

Filing the I-130 separately before filing the I-485 won't really do you any good. It doesn't give her status, it doesn't make her eligible for the EAD or AP, and it will mainly just slow up the entire process.

If she is starting her OPT now, and her OPT period will mostly coincide with your time abroad, I would say the most sensible option would be for you two to file the AOS paperwork just before her OPT expires, and once you are within a couple of months from returning to the US. You will have to be here for the interview, but not before. However, you two should definitely keep in mind that living not only apart, but in different countries for the 12 months preceding the AOS filing will definitely be a red flag, and you should collect plenty of evidence of your relationship and marriage throughout that whole period. It would also obviously be good if she can visit you/you can visit her at least a couple of times during that period, and that you have evidence of those visits.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Or you could not leave the country for a year...At least before you AOS...this is a life altering event, you want to take chances with it?

First come love, them comes marriage, them comes hubby leaving home for a year?

Edited by jdh

July 2005 - met my awesome, hot, amazing love in Lousiana.
July 2006 - Married said love and moved to Canada.
June 2011 - Entered US to visit family, decided to stay.
Feb. 2012 - Sent paperwork to Chicago.

May 2012 - Received green card.

Day 0 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox - 02/27/2012
Day 2 - UPS Tracking Confirmation - 02/29/2012
Day 4 - NOA Emails Received - 03/02/2012
Day 7 - All Checks Cashed - 03/05/2012
Day 11 - Hard Copy NOA's Received - 03/09/2012
Day 11 - Biometrics Appointment Received - 03/09/2012
--------- - Booked for - 04/03/2012 (day 36)
Day 35 - Early Biometricts Walk-in - 04/02/2012
Day 44 - Received Appointment Letter - 04/11/2012
Day 58 - EAD Approval Online - 04/25/2012
Day 63 - EAD in the mail - 04/30/2012
Day 65 - EAD in hand - 05/02/2012
Day 77 - AOS Interview - 05/14/2012
Day 77 - AOS Approved!
Day 84 - Green Card In Hand - 05/21/2012

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Turkey
Timeline

I have a similar situation with him . My wife also has a student visa . But my question is little different that this.
I am having trouble to find a sponsor since my income is not enough for last years tax returns, but I have started to make decent money since Jan,2o13 .

I am so desperate now to find a sponsor . What's your suggestions ? Please , THANKS>

I have a similar situation with him . My wife also has a student visa . But my question is little different that this.

I am having trouble to find a sponsor since my income is not enough for last years tax returns, but I have started to make decent money since Jan,2o13 .

I am so desperate now to find a sponsor . What's your suggestions ? Please , THANKS>

Please start your own thread. Your situation is totally different and this thread is over a year old.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.