Mithra

MENA class of 04-08 ladies

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm sorta Class of 08. We actually applied in April 2008. But this is a new screen name, my old one is inactive but I'm sure many of you would remember me B-)

Who are you?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

People! I know! I guess it is about time for that once yearly check in. Nothing much has changed since last year. Or even 3 years ago. Married going on too many years. Husband has been a US citizen for 3 years. Squeaky is still the most adorable fat cat in the world. I still work too much.

The only real exciting thing is that I went on umrah a month ago. T didn't have the necessary time off, so I jumped through a loophole that allows under 45 female converts to make umrah without a mahram. It was an amazing experience, despite the troubles. About halfway through, on our last day in Makkah, I missed a step in the Haram and fell at 3 am. Being a stubborn midwesterner, I continued on my way and sat until fajr time. When I stood up, I realized I had made a big mistake. Hobbled back to the hotel (thank God we had one literally right outside the haram) and found one of the bazillion doctors in my tour group. Rather than waste the last day in Makkah in the hospital, we decided just to watch it and re-evaluate the next day. Next day, after having half a dozen doctors poke at it, the verdict was that it couldn't be broken, since I was walking around without screaming in pain.

Fast foward to home, I go to the doctor just to be on the safe side. Um yeah, I walked all over Medina on a broken foot :/ I got a walking cast last week and alhamdulilah it was literally the best day of my life. You don't realize how wonderful it is to be able to get around until you can't.

The other downer part of my adventure was that the Saudis almost didn't let me go home since I didn't have a mahram with me. Um yeah no, you give me a visa, you let me in, now you tell the airline to issue me my freakin tickets and let me go home! I was rather undignified and reduced myself to a tearful mess at the airport. In my defense, it was 4 am, I hadn't slept in 24 hours and they pulled me out of line without letting me grab anyone from my tour group for help. Next time, I'll make sure to bring a mahram.

But despite it all, I really really miss Makkah and Medina. I wouldn't ever want to live there, but there was just so much sakina in the air in the 2 mosques that I could sit there forever.

I haven't been blogging much - no time or energy after work - but I do have a tumblr. Been doing short little things on umrah, in case anyone is interested - http://umms.tumblr.com/tagged/umrah

One of the highlights of the trip was being invited to dinner at Sh. Abdullah bin Bayyah's house. Alas, it was late at night by the time he started to talk, and my foot was killing me (having broken it earlier that day). But alhamdulilah, the talk is on youtube - at 42 seconds in, there's a head in a hot pink hijab that may or may not be UmmS.

Let's see, what else? I took a sewing class, and once my foot is better, I plan on attempting to make some costumes. Star Wars and Doctor Who. Still a geek at heart. And I've been doing cross stitch

tumblr_m0r5cjwk9l1r6qymio1_500.pngtumblr_lycvofKK8N1r6qymio1_500.png

And finally, it wouldn't be a complete post unless I put up a picture of my cat. Here she is trying to steal my dates, despite the fact she knows she doesn't like them.

tumblr_m2ovcq0HSi1r6qymio1_500.png

And, from yesterday, sitting on clean laundry and my star wars novel. She has good taste

tumblr_m39lpkbZmF1r6qymio1_500.png

Edited by UmmSqueakster

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Umm Squeaky :luv: So nice to see you... and glad your foot is better !

Also saw Mommy2ZaidnSalma in the thread that got locked... looks like quite a few peeps from the olden days are dropping by :thumbs:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

People! I know! I guess it is about time for that once yearly check in. Nothing much has changed since last year. Or even 3 years ago. Married going on too many years. Husband has been a US citizen for 3 years. Squeaky is still the most adorable fat cat in the world. I still work too much.

The only real exciting thing is that I went on umrah a month ago. T didn't have the necessary time off, so I jumped through a loophole that allows under 45 female converts to make umrah without a mahram. It was an amazing experience, despite the troubles. About halfway through, on our last day in Makkah, I missed a step in the Haram and fell at 3 am. Being a stubborn midwesterner, I continued on my way and sat until fajr time. When I stood up, I realized I had made a big mistake. Hobbled back to the hotel (thank God we had one literally right outside the haram) and found one of the bazillion doctors in my tour group. Rather than waste the last day in Makkah in the hospital, we decided just to watch it and re-evaluate the next day. Next day, after having half a dozen doctors poke at it, the verdict was that it couldn't be broken, since I was walking around without screaming in pain.

Fast foward to home, I go to the doctor just to be on the safe side. Um yeah, I walked all over Medina on a broken foot :/ I got a walking cast last week and alhamdulilah it was literally the best day of my life. You don't realize how wonderful it is to be able to get around until you can't.

The other downer part of my adventure was that the Saudis almost didn't let me go home since I didn't have a mahram with me. Um yeah no, you give me a visa, you let me in, now you tell the airline to issue me my freakin tickets and let me go home! I was rather undignified and reduced myself to a tearful mess at the airport. In my defense, it was 4 am, I hadn't slept in 24 hours and they pulled me out of line without letting me grab anyone from my tour group for help. Next time, I'll make sure to bring a mahram.

But despite it all, I really really miss Makkah and Medina. I wouldn't ever want to live there, but there was just so much sakina in the air in the 2 mosques that I could sit there forever.

I haven't been blogging much - no time or energy after work - but I do have a tumblr. Been doing short little things on umrah, in case anyone is interested - http://umms.tumblr.com/tagged/umrah

One of the highlights of the trip was being invited to dinner at Sh. Abdullah bin Bayyah's house. Alas, it was late at night by the time he started to talk, and my foot was killing me (having broken it earlier that day). But alhamdulilah, the talk is on youtube - at 42 seconds in, there's a head in a hot pink hijab that may or may not be UmmS.

Let's see, what else? I took a sewing class, and once my foot is better, I plan on attempting to make some costumes. Star Wars and Doctor Who. Still a geek at heart. And I've been doing cross stitch

tumblr_m0r5cjwk9l1r6qymio1_500.pngtumblr_lycvofKK8N1r6qymio1_500.png

And finally, it wouldn't be a complete post unless I put up a picture of my cat. Here she is trying to steal my dates, despite the fact she knows she doesn't like them.

tumblr_m2ovcq0HSi1r6qymio1_500.png

And, from yesterday, sitting on clean laundry and my star wars novel. She has good taste

tumblr_m39lpkbZmF1r6qymio1_500.png

Ahhhh, Rahma! My orange-kitteh living friend! Girl, so glad to know you're

well. Congrats on your trip...how amazing for you! This wasn't your Hajj, was it? I always imagine going to Mecca is like going to Rome for us practicing Catholics. So holy, you couldn't pick a better place to be.

I'll have to check out your tumblr some day...I need an orange kitteh fix.

Peace be with you. :)

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

I go out shopping for a couple of hours with my sister n law & bam! a thread gets locked!

It's just like old times :dance:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good to see everyone

Ahhhh, Rahma! My orange-kitteh living friend! Girl, so glad to know you're

well. Congrats on your trip...how amazing for you! This wasn't your Hajj, was it? I always imagine going to Mecca is like going to Rome for us practicing Catholics. So holy, you couldn't pick a better place to be.

I'll have to check out your tumblr some day...I need an orange kitteh fix.

Peace be with you. :)

Hajj is the major pilgrimage, this was the minor one, umrah. People usually perform the umrah with their hajj, but it can also be done outside of the hajj season as well. Instead of being a multiple day affair that includes the movements outside of Makkah, umrah is limited to the Haram (the mosque where the kaaba, the black cube is). You circle the kaaba 7 times, drink from the well of zam zam and then make 7 circuits between the mountains (hills, mounds really) of Safa and Marwa. It can all be done in a few hours or less, so the rest of the time is spent in prayer and contemplation, and visiting of other significant and historic sites. It was an amazing experience, one that I really can't describe. It's the place we face when we pray every day, and the place where the Prophet (saws) and his companions lived. I've tried to describe it, but I really can't, other than to say there are no words.

Pictures on flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/76868981@N04/

More orange kitty available upon request :luv:

tumblr_m30j0wkT9x1r6qymio1_500.pngtumblr_m2y8ztbSDN1r6qymio1_500.pngtumblr_m2u68rEu0B1r6qymio1_500.png

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.