Roxy8203

Info about returning to the UK

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone.

Right I'm not sure if anyone can give me some info on this as I suspect it's a bit unusual.

Ok, my US partner is just set it file our K1 application and get the ball rolling. He is military currently based in the UK( with me, I'm british).

He is being sent back to America soon to continue his service and is likely to deploy at the being of next year so my question is: is it possible for us to get married after having our K1 approved an then for me to return to the UK while he is deployed?

Looking at the info the application is likely to take 6-10 months and that would take us into the beginning of next year. I don't relish the though of us getting approved an me going over for him to then be sent away for 7 months and me be on my own in America where I know nobody and probably have no job.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Military Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

You would be able to return to the UK but you would be Denied Entry afterwards from the USA without an IR or CR-1 visa.

The only way around this is that once in the USA, ou would need to apply for adjustment of status and request advanced parole. The AP part takes around three months at the moment, and that would allow you to re-enter the USA after you've been in the UK, or wait until your AOS is fully processed and you receive your two year green card.

Since there is military involved you "might" be able to request an expedite but I'm unclear of the surroundings behind this

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You culd consider two options:

- request military expedite based on upcoming deployment. That would give you some time together, and hopefully you'll have your greencard by the time he leaves and you can find work in the USA, or go back to the UK for a few months (not too long, or you will loose your greencard).

- Delay the K1 process by taking your time sending in forms etc, and you have 6 months after approval to move, so you could arrange it to move to the USA after he comes back from deployment.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

If you get in the US shortly before he has to leave you can expedite your AOS and get your GC before he leaves or shortly after that which means you could go back to the UK for up to 6 months. So you would only have to be by yourself for a month or so. If you live on base I am sure you will meet a lot of people that are going through the same thing and will help the time go by faster. Does he have orders yet? Im askng because if he doesn't and you get married in the UK he would be able to extend his stay until youre good to go. Im not sure if thats possible if hes already recieved his orders.

Timeline

Thanks for the replys guys and girls. I guess it doesn't look as simple as I hoped, what a surprise! I was hoping I'd be able to keep my job and return after a short visit to get married ect but if the AOS takes 3 months I don't think that will be possible. He doesn't have his orders yet but they are 7 months late so due any day, just waiting on a couple signatures. And I'm not sure we are in the position to get married yet, money etc. I didn't realise that would postpone his return to America. I guess I'll just hope I can get a job once I'm over there properly and some hobbies to make his deployment go quicker, I suppose we'll have to see how it all pans out

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Why don't you just abandon the K-1 idea, get married before he leaves, visit him once or so while he's still stateside and then after he deploys, get started on the CR-1 visa process?? Less hassle, if you ask me.

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Timeline

It's all so complicated! I don't think we'd have time to plan any sort of wedding before he goes and it all seems so unromantic, although I think this whole thing has taken any romance out of it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

It's all so complicated! I don't think we'd have time to plan any sort of wedding before he goes and it all seems so unromantic, although I think this whole thing has taken any romance out of it!

Who says you have to have a wedding? Just get married :blush: You can always have a big weddingt later

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.