margmadness

USING AN IMMIGRATION LAWYER

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I LIVE IN LOUISIANA AND NEED AN IMMIGRATION LAWYER. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DONT HAVE $2500 TO PAY IN ONE PAYMENT FOR THE ALWYER SO I FOUND THIS OTHER LAW FRIM THAT LETS YOU PAY MONTHLYHAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF OR USED ICS?? http://www.advancedimmigration.com/

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER IMMIGRATION LAWYERS THAT LET YOU PAY MONTHLY WHILE STILL PROCESSING THE PAPERWORK FOR A FOREIGN SPOUSE TO GET A WORKING PERMIT AND GREEN CARD.

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP

THANKS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I gather you have already looked into filing the papers yourself and feel your situation is to complicated without the aid of a lawyer ??

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

The two important things I found in choosing a lawyer was that they had experience with the beneficiary's country and that they took time to know the details of my situation before agreeing to take my case. Does the lawyer you are looking at offer money back guarntee? That might speak to their ability to get the job done, knowing the facts of your case. You do not have to have a lawyer near you. Im in WA and my lawyer is in NY, but I'd recommend him to anyone.

BTW: Do you need a laywer because you feel you have an unusal case or are you just thinking to use one? I have found that most people are able to file with the help if VJ and it's users. I got an atty to circumvent potential red flags. Maybe you don't even need one.

Maggie

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM (SHE IS A BRITISH CITIZEN) I

Sunshine, first of all relax, once she files her I485 her overstay status will be forgiven,

Since she is married and you are a USC / legal resident.

For peace of mind and have a professional review your paper work. You can go to a Legal Document Assistant or paralegal, they charge anywhere from 500-$1000.00

The process is not that difficult.You can actually file your self it is not that difficult,

We filed oursleves it cost us less than $1000.00 that was including the cost of all filing fees and medical.

You can save $$ by not filing for Work permit.

My wife overstayed for Over 1 year before we filed her AOS package, we had our interview a few weeks ago and were approved.

As long as you file the correct forms with proper support documents it is not that hard to file.

Start by going to www.USCIS.gov

Your immigrant wife will file the following

I-485 Application to Adjust Status Filing Fee=$325

G325-A Biographic Information IN QUADRUPLET Filing Fee $0

I-693 Medical Examination done by USCIS approved Civil Surgeon Fee varies by Doctor

Civil Surgeon Locator

If Immigrant spouse wishes to work prior to receivng GC then she will also need to file

I-765 Employment Authorization Document Filing Fee= $180

The USC Spouse/ Sponsor will file the following concurrently

I-130 Petition for Alien Relative Filing Fee=$190w/ G325A

I-864 Affidavit of Support Filing fee -0

General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing

Relax dont worry too much and take adavantge of all those on this forum who have gone through the process with similiar circumstances as yours.

Edited by Addie_Goodvibes

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Filed: Timeline

You could file AOS as long as she did not have intent to remain when she entered the States.... there has been mamy people who have done this without the use of a lawyer.... could you not just go and have a chat with a lawyer to check your options without having to retain them....

Have a read of the guide here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

it may help you to decide which way to go.... all I would say is whatever you decide to do... do it as quickly as you can....

Kezzie

Timeline
THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM (SHE IS A BRITISH CITIZEN) I

Sunshine, first of all relax, once she files her I485 her overstay status will be forgiven,

Since she is married and you are a USC / legal resident.

For peace of mind and have a professional review your paper work. You can go to a Legal Document Assistant or paralegal, they charge anywhere from 500-$1000.00

The process is not that difficult.You can actually file your self it is not that difficult,

We filed oursleves it cost us less than $1000.00 that was including the cost of all filing fees and medical.

You can save $$ by not filing for Work permit.

My wife overstayed for Over 1 year before we filed her AOS package, we had our interview a few weeks ago and were approved.

As long as you file the correct forms with proper support documents it is not that hard to file.

Start by going to www.USCIS.gov

Your immigrant wife will file the following below are all Links!

I-485 Application to Adjust Status Filing Fee=$325 + $70 biometrics services fee

G325-A Biographic Information IN QUADRUPLET Filing Fee $0

I-693 Medical Examination done by USCIS approved Civil Surgeon Fee varies by Doctor $150-$300

Civil Surgeon Locator

If Immigrant spouse wishes to work prior to receivng GC then she will also need to file

I-765 Employment Authorization Document Filing Fee= $180

The USC Spouse/ Sponsor will file the following concurrently

I-130 Petition for Alien Relative Filing Fee=$190w/ G325A

I-864 Affidavit of Support Filing fee -$0

Estimated total cost $975.00 ( including costs of photos, printing and mailing application.

General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing

Relax dont worry too much and take adavantge of all those on this forum who have gone through the process with similiar circumstances as yours.

Edited by Addie_Goodvibes

gewelcome-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm

It is possible, and it's worth taking a look to see if you'd be comfortable filing yourself. If you're not, by all means use a lawyer, but you have a good community resource here.

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
I LIVE IN LOUISIANA AND NEED AN IMMIGRATION LAWYER. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DONT HAVE $2500 TO PAY IN ONE PAYMENT FOR THE ALWYER SO I FOUND THIS OTHER LAW FRIM THAT LETS YOU PAY MONTHLYHAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF OR USED ICS?? http://www.advancedimmigration.com/

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER IMMIGRATION LAWYERS THAT LET YOU PAY MONTHLY WHILE STILL PROCESSING THE PAPERWORK FOR A FOREIGN SPOUSE TO GET A WORKING PERMIT AND GREEN CARD.

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP

THANKS

I hired a lawyer. She does let me pay in installments. $500 one month, $500 the other. (I'm sure I could have worked out even lower monthly payments, for a longer period).

My wife is not in the USA (we're doing AOS through the embassy), but the point is, if you search around, you can find lawyers who will have payment options.

I am not familiar with that website, by the way. Can't help you there.

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

Timeline

As I mentioend before If you are not comfortable doing things yourself

look into hiring a Legal Document Assistant or a paralegal

They can prepare the correct paperwork for you and check for accuracy , also they can be sure you are filing the correct forms for your case.

Its worth looking into.

gewelcome-vi.gif

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.