26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

From your fiance's picture it appears he is from somewhere in the Middle East or Asia. His name is Mohammad. I suggest you mentally prepare yourself for AP.

AP = Administrative Processing. Background checks that the embassy runs on people with mostly Middle Eastern / Asian (India & Pakistan) heritage. This can take from a few weeks to many months.

AP starts *after* the visa interview. That is, you will be waiting about 5 months (average) for your NOA2. At least a few weeks to be re-routed through NVC to UK embassy and then few weeks to a month for your interview date based on how backlogged the UK embassy currently is.....then AP begins.

Sorry if I've severely depressed you. This is the cold hard truth.

It's entirely possible that you will get visa approval and he will be with you within 6 months. Just that with his heritage and name....there is a high probability that he will be put in AP.

Edited by sulhaq

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there, I see that we have the same NAO1 date of March 22nd so we should be going through this process a roughly the same time, although my case has complications so you just never know. When me and my boyfriend starting planning this process we tried to be realistic about it and have planned for one year from start to finish but also realize that it could be longer or shorter. I am expecting the NAO2 in August at the very earliest. Then I have allowed for time for the case to run its course through the NVC and on to the British Embassy which I understand is relatively quick compared to other embassys. But there could be delays at any point or a RFE so we have allowed around 3 months or so for that.

I am the UK beneficiary and I work full time here. I have not planned to leave my job until the end of February and we are aiming to have the visa and enter the US with a K1 in mid-March 2013. There is so much to plan and I am using the time carefully to prepare myself and my finances. I have moved back in with my parents so I can save as much money as I can. In the meantime I have visited my boyfriend for a week every 10 weeks and hope to do this until Christmas and then have my interview around early January. I am doing research about each stage of the process so that I am prepared for the next step and know how to collate the relevant paperwork. And I have also found it useful to read other peoples cases so see what complications they have had and how they dealt with them. As someone else said, you may have difficulties with your partner's muslim name so perhaps look into that to see what other's who have experienced this issue have said about it.

Try to get used to the relationship being long distance most of the time and try to find what works for you both. For me I wake up in England to a morning message from my boyfriend. Then I go to work and am occupied all day. I call my boyfriend when I get home and he is on his lunch break. Then we try to speak before I go to sleep but if not we send an email or two. The week days we don't get to talk for long but we have a good catchup on the weekend. We try not to talk about the visa until there is something we need to discuss. We don't say we miss each other everyday and how hard it is. We tell each other about the little things that have made up our day and try to say positive things. We talk about the future, like the kind of house we want to live in eventually and how we will merge our everyday lives, how we will pay the bills, health insurance etc. Until we get to 5 weeks before my next visit we try not to countdown, although I do that in my head lol! I think about how my attitude towards the waiting process effects him and vice versa. When one of us is a little pessamistic, the other brings us back.

As everyone has said, be patient. This is difficult I know but you really are only at the beginning. You must prepare yourself for some ups and downs in this process so that you can cope when things don't quite go according to plan. Keep focused on the bigger picture which is that once you have finished you will be together.

Good luck. :-)

VAWA

February 10, 2014 - NOA1 for I-360, I485 and I-765

March 14, 2014 - Biometrics

April 4, 2014 - Approval of I-360!

May 14, 2014 - Approval of EAD

June 23, 2014 - I-485 transferred to NBC

August 7, 2014 - Put in service request

September 23, 2014 - Interview - approved!

October 4, 2014 - Green card received

Total time:7 months 25 days

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Gaby,

Is your fiance from the Middle East? Is his parents from the Middle Eat/ Is he Muslim? Is he from Pakistan.

These are important questions because these men will usually go through AP (Administrative Processing) after his interview. This is where they do background checks and name checks at the FBI level.

Pakistan or Muslim men will go through AP up to 90% of the time. AP lasts anywhere from 2weeks till 2 years.

Good Luck

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: Timeline

The good news here is that you're going through Vermont Service Center.. In the last 7 - 8 months, Vermont has been significantly faster that California in processing petitions. The bad news is that you might want to mentally prepare for AP if he's of Middle Eastern/Pakistani/Indian origin (even if he's a UK citizen).

Find some way to spend your time. I know it's hard, but I learned from a prison show (Hard Time on Nat Geo) that the best thing to do when waiting is to make time work for you. Haha. I know it's not the same thing, but I was going crazy a month ago, until I listed down every possible positive thing that can possibly come from waiting. This is the time for planning, saving money and more planning. Also, realize that once this process is over it'll be a distant memory and an obstacle you were able to overcome. If anything, I think this process can often work to make the relationship even stronger.

Filed: Timeline

Hii everyone,

Today has been 1 month and 4 days since I rcvd the NOA1 and I am going crazy thinking how much longer this will take because I´ve seen ppl taking up to a year.... I am very desperate now thinking what should I do whether I can move or simply just continue working and waiting for any reply for them. I hope this process won´t take much longer. =(

Congratulations - we live in a world of instant gratification. I am right here waiting with you -- There are no other words to describe it but "IT SUCKS"

Timeline

Guys, be nice. She's a newbie.

Gaby, I understand your frustration. We all do. But its best to brace yourself for the long wait, think positive and fly to go see him as often as possible. I was just like you initially. After I turned in the application, I was expecting approval in 2 weeks. Then It hit me. THis thing takes MONTHS. I mailed my application at the end of January and I am shooting for August for my honey to be here. Of course I would want it to be sooner. Who doesnt?

Try to familiarize yourself with this process, read peoples stories and timelines as often as you can, make sure you have all your documents ready, brew a cup tea and CHILL.

ELSE YOU'LL GO CRAZY.

check out the UK forum, ask Nich-Nick any questions, we are a pretty close group and we are all in this together.

***hugs***

Feb 3, 2012 - I129F sent
Feb 6, 2012 - NoA1 Received
August 22, 2012 - NoA2 ( 198 days!!!!!)
Sept 6, 2012 - NVC Received Case
Sept 10, 2012 - London Received Case
Sept 15, 2012 - Packet 3 Received
Sept 20, 2012 - Medical
Oct 5, 2012 - All forms sent to the embassy
Nov 5, 2012 - Interview
Nov 5, 2012 - Administrative Processing crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifranting33va.gifcray5ol.gif

Love conquers all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Hii everyone,

Today has been 1 month and 4 days since I rcvd the NOA1 and I am going crazy thinking how much longer this will take because I´ve seen ppl taking up to a year.... I am very desperate now thinking what should I do whether I can move or simply just continue working and waiting for any reply for them. I hope this process won´t take much longer. =(

You are not alone. I'm also very desperate to hear good news of our NOA2. Hopefully with no RFE.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

patience...patience...patience..good luck on your journey !!! :)

Met online : 2009
Married : 07/28/2010

USCIS
Send I-130 : 06/08/2011
Touched : 06/13/2011
got a NOA1 by e-mail and SMS : 06/15/2011
got "I-797C" hard copy of NOA1 : 06/20/2011
got RFE "I-797E" : 10/15/2011
RFE Reply : 12/15/2011
Touched : 12/16/2011
I-130 Approved : 12/20/2011
got "I-797" hard copy of NOA2 : 12/24/2011
Your I-130 was approved in 183 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC
NVC Case Number : 01/13/2012
Pay "$88" AOS Bill and e-mailed DS-3032 : 02/08/2012
Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted : 02/09/2012
AOS Fee Shows PAID : 02/09/2012
IV fee invoiced "$404" : 02/10/2012
IV fee invoiced "$230" : 04/18/2012
Pay "$230" IV Bill : 04/30/2012
IV Fee Shows PAID : 05/02/2012
Send AOS and IV packet : 06/09/2012
AOS and IV packet Received : 06/22/2012
Case completed at NVC : 06/29/2012

Interview Date : 08/28/2012 "Denied"

Case Reaffirmed : 07/16/2013

Second interview - Approved : 10/24/2013

Visa Issued : 10/29/2013

Visa in hand : 10/31/2013

For more details please visit my timeline

485.gif

Hi Gaby,

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you have a long road ahead of you. I don't mean to be negative, but I just want you to be aware of what lies ahead (I was very naive in the beginning and thought we would be done in 6 months :blush: ). You are much stronger than you think, and this journey will show you that. It will test your patience, but you will get through it. If being overly optimistic helps you get through it, go for it...just don't be naive like I was...

Although they quote 5 months, that is for the USCIS process alone...and from what I've been reading it seems to be taking longer for some (more like 8 months as of lately). After that you should expect at least another couple of months w/NVC (make sure you are prepared to have forms sent the minute they request them - research and do everything you can ahead of time and it will save you a lot of time). Then, it may take you another month or two after NVC to finally get your interview. Considering your fiance's name is Muhammed, I would prepare yourself for AP. My husband's name is Adnan Ahmed Mohamedy (common name) and he is a UK citizen (born in UK and lives in UK now) but he is moroccan and grew up there. We have been in AP for the last 6 months. I didn't even know AP existed until we got placed in it after the interview. I'm sharing my story and happy to answer any questions so that you are not blindsided like I was and can have realistic expectations about this process.

I know right now it seems like an eternity away, but you CAN do this...as far as a support system - use this site...everyone here is very supportive and have really helped me get through some bad days. I am also in NYC if you need anything I'm happy to help! Find something to throw yourself into...for me it was work. Also, try to visit him as often as you can as he cannot visit you here. That is my biggest regret, I was too wrapped up w/work and worried about $$ and now it has been almost a year and a half since we have seen each other. I am going to visit next month, finally! I would have never thought I could get through this, but somehow we are still going strong. I wish you strength and patience and that you get through this quickly! Good Luck! :thumbs:

God delays but doesn't forget.

event.png

Timeline

Thank you very much for your encouraging message.. Indeed I am planning to visit him in UK for my Birthday.. But I know now about the AP cuz he is from Pakistan and that made me even more depressed... God has a reason for everything... But sometimes can´t understand how all this happened!:(

The pain is terrible, but do have Skype and Webcam. Instead of quitting, SAVE your money and travel to him as often as you can (you will need those proofs anyway that you met and continue to have a relationship after you NOA1).

I have made trips back to the Philippines (7500 miles one way from San Diego) for a 3 day weekend trip (people think I am crazy for wasting money, but when you miss someone that much, money is less important).

Save money. Webcam each day. Think of your happy future. It is all worth it in the end. Don't do anything that will mess up the K1 process.

Ye2qm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.