one...two...tree

Supreme Court to Decide on Arizona's SB1070

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

And it looks like the government choked again. Even Sotamayer was disdainful.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor told Verrilli that the government's argument that "systematic enforcement" might violate federal law was "not selling."

This is from MSNBC.

"The justices strongly suggested Wednesday they are not buying the Obama administration's argument that the state exceeded its authority when it made the records check part of SB 1070, the state law aimed at driving illegal immigrants out of Arizona."

MSNBC

Local law enforcement can already check someone's immigration status if they've been arrested. SB1070 goes beyond that by giving authority for local law enforcement to detain anyone they pull over who they reasonably believe is here illegally. You can be detained indefinitely, without any bail or right to legal counsel.

Why it is unconstitutional:

- Requiring a police officer to make a reasonable attempt to check the immigration status of those they have stopped;

- Forbidding police from releasing anyone they have arrested until that person's immigration status is determined;

- Making it a violation of Arizona law for anyone not a citizen to fail to carry federally issued documentation;

- Creating a new state crime for trying to secure work while not a legal resident;

- Allowing police to make warrantless arrests if there is a belief the person has committed an offense that allows them to be removed from the United States.

Regardless of your views on immigration, SB1070 clearly infringes upon our constitutional protections, which should make anyone take pause, especially to those who have immigrant spouses.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You've got the luxury of not having experienced what billions of people have experienced. The luxury of never having lived anywhere but in a free and prosperous country. Not because you're so fcuking brave and not because you worked so fcuking hard to get there but because of where you happened to be born. You merely display the arrogance of a well-fed who is disgusted by the table manners of the starving. That, indeed, is pathetic!

Please. I don't need to experience what one has experienced to know/understand their pain. Their pain is their own. They might be born into something, but they ultimately make the choice on how to live or how not to live. They come here because it's the easy way out. Just as those who stay there usually end up doing so because they committ themselves to a life of servtitude in the government military/police, etc.. and the others they're just happy being told how to live their lives. The few that are left to rebel are squashed by those who have made the committment to their government.

The millions who leave their home nations are the ones who are pathetic because they leave behind their friends and sometimes family to live the life they are running away from. So be it as a part of human nature. Take away the ease of getting into this country (and despite what some say, it's pretty damn easy if tens of millions can do it) and you'll force the hand of those who would attempt to come here. You'd be amazed at what people can accomplish in numbers when backed into a corner. They'll achieve 1 of 2 things: Properity or Death.

Can the police access a database to determine if a person is illegal based on name and address alone?

figuring that the person if legally driving would have a license tied to that address, then yeah.

If you don't have an ID and your address/name doesn't come up in the database, it's pretty safe to assume that A) you stole someone's identity or B) you'r an illegal.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Please. I don't need to experience what one has experienced to know/understand their pain. Their pain is their own. They might be born into something, but they ultimately make the choice on how to live or how not to live. They come here because it's the easy way out. Just as those who stay there usually end up doing so because they committ themselves to a life of servtitude in the government military/police, etc.. and the others they're just happy being told how to live their lives. The few that are left to rebel are squashed by those who have made the committment to their government.

The millions who leave their home nations are the ones who are pathetic because they leave behind their friends and sometimes family to live the life they are running away from. So be it as a part of human nature. Take away the ease of getting into this country (and despite what some say, it's pretty damn easy if tens of millions can do it) and you'll force the hand of those who would attempt to come here. You'd be amazed at what people can accomplish in numbers when backed into a corner. They'll achieve 1 of 2 things: Properity or Death.

figuring that the person if legally driving would have a license tied to that address, then yeah.

If you don't have an ID and your address/name doesn't come up in the database, it's pretty safe to assume that A) you stole someone's identity or B) you'r an illegal.

Eh? How is that? I carry no ID all the time when walking about my area. Guess i'm illegal.

Timeline

Eh? How is that? I carry no ID all the time when walking about my area. Guess i'm illegal.

If you were to give your name/address though, you'd be easily pulled up (this is after you've already been breaking the law however in one form or another).

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Timeline

There is theory and then there's reality. I've lived under authoritarian government deprived of my freedom. And yes, I actively participated in overthrowing that regime. And yes, there were what you might consider martyrs and no, I wasn't one of them. You may think that I lived a cowardly life for some time. But then, you have not experienced what I have experienced and you have no way of knowing what you would or wouldn't have done if you had been born where I was born and raised where I was raised. You just don't know. Because you never had to even seriously think about fighting for your freedom. You were afforded your freedom at birth. It's easy to make heroic statements while being utterly ignorant of the realities that so many people on this planet still face.

Familiarize yourself with what actually marked the beginning of the end of the East German regime - it was the massive defection and departure of East Germans via other Eastern Block countries (mainly Hungary and Czechoslovakia) once their borders became more open. The fall of the wall only sealed the deal - both for the end of East German regime and the end of the artificial separation of Germany. Not closing and tightening borders brought the regime down but the opening of them.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Timeline

If you were to give your name/address though, you'd be easily pulled up (this is after you've already been breaking the law however in one form or another).

Are you sure about that? If i've moved recently I wouldn't. I'm not sure how quickly the police database updates itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 3-6 month shadow.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What Congress is failing to do is address the actual source of the problem - employers offering jobs to those not authorized to work here. Go after the motivation for illegal migrants to come here in the first place. That would be a cure for rather than management of the symptoms of the disease.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

The government could pass a law today and they would self deport beginning tomorrow and they (congress) knows it. Apply a TAX to anyone that hires an illegal, seize property to pay the tax. No jobs, they go home. Read USA Today for Monday. It is already happening in some areas. Deporting them is not the problem. The government WANTS an underclass to be exploited and provide a way for employers to avoid laws. Both parties want this.

I came here to get a read on what the SCOTUS will do.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Are you sure about that? If i've moved recently I wouldn't. I'm not sure how quickly the police database updates itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 3-6 month shadow.

Most PDs are on a national database these days. If you have your previous address, they can find you.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That's a silly argument. Try a 12 foot ladder on this wall:

wall.gif

I could dig through that.

You'd have to start digging a mile away, otherwise you'd be seen by surveillance cameras.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline
You'd have to start digging a mile away, otherwise you'd be seen by surveillance cameras.

Have you ever been to the wall museum at old Checkpoint Charlie? You'd be surprised what kind of 12 ft ladders so to speak people invented. If you're ever in Berlin, you should go and see it.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Have you ever been to the wall museum at old Checkpoint Charlie? You'd be surprised what kind of 12 ft ladders so to speak people invented. If you're ever in Berlin, you should go and see it.

I'll check it out.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Most PDs are on a national database these days. If you have your previous address, they can find you.

We'll just have to disagree. I'm already unhappy with the interior Federal Highway Checkpoints where you have to show your papers all in the name of "protecting the border".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So OK I see this is going to be another case of Obama looking stupid just before the election. His Solicitor General got spanked pretty hard.

So prior to the election we are going to have the health care law shot down AND SCOTUS saying the states can enforce immigration law because the Feds won't. Way to go Obama!

Carry on.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla