one...two...tree

Talk of Solar Energy's Demise Greatly Exaggerated

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Rumors of solar power’s demise are greatly exaggerated, according to a study by a solar power trade organization. U.S. utilities doubled installations in 2011 from 2010, also demonstrating a demand shift away from household installations.The Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) this week published findings demonstrating growing solar power adoption by utility companies. Most of the growth happened in the eastern United States. Here are some of the details:

New solar power capacity increased 120 percent over 2010

Utilities are proactively owning and contracting for more solar power

More than 62,000 new interconnected PV systems were integrated by utilities in 2011

Notably, 39 percent of new solar projects were driven by utilities owning or contracting projects. There was a marked rise in public utilities buying in, and most installations were greater than 10 megawatts.

“This is a marked shift from a few years ago, when customer-owned, net-metered systems dominated installed solar generation,” says Julia Hamm, SEPA president and CEO.

“Today, utilities are taking a greater role in the expansion of solar power in the United States. Much of this dramatic growth took place not just in the Southwest, traditionally the leader in solar power, but also in eastern states, and it took place on the systems of municipal utilities and rural electric cooperatives, as well as investor-owned utilities.

The 10 biggest U.S. utilities added more than 1,000 megawatts of solar energy capacity to the grid last year. In total, more than 240 utilities surveyed added 1,500 megawatts of new solar, which is equivalent to almost six natural gas power plants, SEPA said.

SEPA is a non-profit organization that’s funded by membership dues and donations. Members include over 200 utility, electric service provider, manufacturer, installer, government, and researchers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Especially since Vermont has 12 new power plants lined up to burn TREES um, I mean "renewable biomass", which according to your links is actually "solar power" since the trees STORE energy collected from the sun and release it upon cutting them down and burning them. In the NE "solar power" is here to stay. Vermont is trying to catch up with our Neighbors NH and ME in the arena of TREE fired solar energy. Most of our schools are also heated by solar energy which was stored in TREES. Not tomention pellet stoves and TREE fired boilers to heat homes which are more and more popular every year. We have, at least up until now, plenty of trees.

But we may not need it since Vermont Yankee, the nuclear power plant, continues to operate without a license despite Vermont wanting it shut down. Nope, Obama's Department if Energy has done nothing to shut down the power plant, recently reloaded with fuel rods despite it running on an expired permit and with documented evidence of tritium leaks into our rivers. Way to go Obama!!! The state SUED to get it closed but Obama's federal agency FOUGHT in court to keep it open and the court rules that the FEDs have the authority to do so, but then reversed themselves on part of their decision, leaving the aging plant operating without a license. That's it, make sure Entergy Corporation is happy....here is another donation comin' at 'ya!

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

The3L.png

Aren't First Solar sitting on $400m of their own product and materials because there is no market for them?

All this and a brand new production facility in AZ that will be shuttered before it produces a thing.

Nurse? Nurse??!! Get the crash cart!

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Aren't First Solar sitting on $400m of their own product and materials because there is no market for them?

All this and a brand new production facility in AZ that will be shuttered before it produces a thing.

Nurse? Nurse??!! Get the crash cart!

The Chinese are underselling everyone worldwide. They have no real global competition because their government is heavily subsidizing the industry along with cheap labor. Solar Power is the future, it's just that the future may be paved by the Chinese. This is what they've done with just about all manufacturing. They've even tried it with the automobile, but so far have not succeeded yet. They are the Walmart of trade.

The Chinese are underselling everyone worldwide. They have no real global competition because their government is heavily subsidizing the industry along with cheap labor. Solar Power is the future, it's just that the future may be paved by the Chinese. This is what they've done with just about all manufacturing. They've even tried it with the automobile, but so far have not succeeded yet. They are the Walmart of trade.

Quite true. They will be the number one economy before long. I wonder when they final do get to the top if they will be more humane than they are today? Will peoples rights matter like they do in most of the first world?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quite true. They will be the number one economy before long. I wonder when they final do get to the top if they will be more humane than they are today? Will peoples rights matter like they do in most of the first world?

people have rights? According to China they have a different set of 'rights.'

We have a constitution that is supposed to 'protect' us from our Government. China does not.

Regardless, you only have as many rights as the person standing next to you allows you to have and vise versa.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!