beejay

Stand alone I-130 for stepchild(ren)

1,280 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the response. Glad NVC caught that as it will make things much easier for you.

Sancruz congrats on the interview date! I am with you on the moment being bittersweet. My husband and I are nothing but excited but I feel for their mother as I know this wasn't an easy decision (years in the making) and it isn't going to be an easy transition.

We had a hiccup at the airport with some Philippine gov't requirements. They didn't want to let us board the plane with the consent form I had - they wanted the official one from a specific agency in the Philippines (DSWD). We had already fulfilled an exit orientation requirement for the Phil. gov't (CFO) and they had told us what we had would be fine. I had to get elevated to a few different people within the airline. I was insistent that the consent should work and if in doubt their mother was right outside security and they could talk to her themselves. They finally took me past security to speak with immigration who also wanted me to have the DSWD clearance but luckily the gate agent had gotten my stepdaughter and gone to get her mother in the drop off area to bring her back to immigration (who then had to sit in immigration holding her 3 month old for quite some time while everything got sorted out). The immigration guy still didn't want to let us through and was calling his boss on the phone. I kept saying isn't the point of the DSWD clearance to show we have permission and here is their mother giving permission. Anyway we eventually got through and their mother hung around until the plane took off just to make sure we didn't have any other problems. The reason I bring it up is she had to be really committed to go through all that business at the airport and it was still incredibly hard when it came time to say goodbye. Luckily over the years I feel we've built trust and respect for each other and she knows I'm going to do my best along with their father to provide a loving and supportive home for the kids. Still I could tell she was trying to be strong for the kids but I can't even imagine the feeling.

Welcome KatandFreddy! Thanks for joining our thread. Good luck on the process! We're there any questions you still needed to be answered? I think quite a few of them got answered.

Thank you! All the information has been really useful. Now it's just a matter of being patient and hope for the best! :)

Hi FaSa2008, how was your interview?

SerenityNow - thanks for making a wiki page! That info was long overdue! Hopefully we can all add and update it as we move along in the process.

I have to agree with you that it seems unlikely that you will have to wait for the greencard to apply for the passport. The stamp on the visa upon entry should prove the children were admitted on immigrant visas. We are going this week to apply (w/o greencards) so I will let you know how it goes.

*To anyone in a similar situation permission is needed from both parents of a minor (under 16) wanting to obtain a U.S. passport - unless the applying parent has sole legal custody and can prove it. If one parent does not have sole legal custody then the non immigrating parent needs to sign and notarize the consent form (DS3053) that will allow the minor to obtain a US passport. The consent form is only good for 3 months after it is signed so plan accordingly.

Just an update on us. The kids are finally here and we've been doing pretty well. We've spent our time going to lots of museums, seeing relatives, trying to balance new foods with familiar foods. Everywhere we go everyone wants to give them chocolate or ice cream or some kind of sweet - the kids are loving it. They will be starting school soon but for now we're just trying to enjoy the time together and get adjusted. They do think it's crazy cold here. I think they had no idea weather could ever be this cold. :) I have to say once we got on that first plane all the immigration hassles (even the stuff at the airport) just left my mind. Now that we've crossed the 'finish line' I've sort of forgotten the race. I feel like the real adventure begins now. :star:

Good luck to everyone!

I'm really happy your family is finally reunited! Best wishes! :)

Citizenship Event Date Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox CIS Office : Santa Ana CA Date Filed : 2013-05-15 NOA Date : 2013-05-20 Bio. Appt. : 2013-06-13 Interview Date : 2013-09-03 Approved : Yes Oath Ceremony : 2013-09-27 Comments :

3rs1cazbtpo05.png

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hello family,

After completing theI-130 process, with all the help I found here, I successful in bringing my husband to the US. I am now working on bringing his kids. We submitted the I-130 for the kids on November 16th and today we got an email that it has been approved and NOA 2 is on the way. However, only for one child, I am assuming since today is Saturday they just have not updated for the second child.

Whew, that hurdle jumped. However I am freaking out a bit because I forgot what is next. With my husband, I moved one step ahead of the process and was able to get the interview rather quickly. Now I am drawing a blank. I need to call on help from you nice people again. I am seriously having a panic attack. Someone please direct me to the next steps.

Yipee, from NOA 1 to NOA 2 in 69 days and are they working on Saturday? Good for them.

We are almost on the same schedule... applied Nov. 15, approved Jan 22 (a Sunday!). I also had completely blocked the process from when I did it for my husband. The best source I have found for the next stage are the NVC forums. Check out this link for NVC filers (mostly for spouse IR-1/CR-1s but the process is almost identical). The first post has so much information.

We had a hiccup at the airport with some Philippine gov't requirements. They didn't want to let us board the plane with the consent form I had - they wanted the official one from a specific agency in the Philippines (DSWD). We had already fulfilled an exit orientation requirement for the Phil. gov't (CFO) and they had told us what we had would be fine. I had to get elevated to a few different people within the airline. I was insistent that the consent should work and if in doubt their mother was right outside security and they could talk to her themselves. They finally took me past security to speak with immigration who also wanted me to have the DSWD clearance but luckily the gate agent had gotten my stepdaughter and gone to get her mother in the drop off area to bring her back to immigration (who then had to sit in immigration holding her 3 month old for quite some time while everything got sorted out). The immigration guy still didn't want to let us through and was calling his boss on the phone. I kept saying isn't the point of the DSWD clearance to show we have permission and here is their mother giving permission. Anyway we eventually got through and their mother hung around until the plane took off just to make sure we didn't have any other problems. The reason I bring it up is she had to be really committed to go through all that business at the airport and it was still incredibly hard when it came time to say goodbye. Luckily over the years I feel we've built trust and respect for each other and she knows I'm going to do my best along with their father to provide a loving and supportive home for the kids. Still I could tell she was trying to be strong for the kids but I can't even imagine the feeling.

SerenityNow - thanks for making a wiki page! That info was long overdue! Hopefully we can all add and update it as we move along in the process.

I have to agree with you that it seems unlikely that you will have to wait for the greencard to apply for the passport. The stamp on the visa upon entry should prove the children were admitted on immigrant visas. We are going this week to apply (w/o greencards) so I will let you know how it goes.

*To anyone in a similar situation permission is needed from both parents of a minor (under 16) wanting to obtain a U.S. passport - unless the applying parent has sole legal custody and can prove it. If one parent does not have sole legal custody then the non immigrating parent needs to sign and notarize the consent form (DS3053) that will allow the minor to obtain a US passport. The consent form is only good for 3 months after it is signed so plan accordingly.

Just an update on us. The kids are finally here and we've been doing pretty well. We've spent our time going to lots of museums, seeing relatives, trying to balance new foods with familiar foods. Everywhere we go everyone wants to give them chocolate or ice cream or some kind of sweet - the kids are loving it. They will be starting school soon but for now we're just trying to enjoy the time together and get adjusted. They do think it's crazy cold here. I think they had no idea weather could ever be this cold. :) I have to say once we got on that first plane all the immigration hassles (even the stuff at the airport) just left my mind. Now that we've crossed the 'finish line' I've sort of forgotten the race. I feel like the real adventure begins now. :star:

Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for the info on the consent letter. That part does worry me a bit. My husband's ex-wife has already prepared a notarized letter (we will include a copy with the DS-230) but I have no idea if it includes everything it needs to. I'm not sure if she could go to the airport when the time comes, so I don't know what we are going to do if there is a problem. I already warned my husband that we can NOT be on the 6 am flight out, that we need the afternoon flight and we need to go to the airport hours early to be able to sort out any problem...

My stepson just turned 16, so luckily we don't need the extra consent for the U.S. passport (It DID mean that we have to get a police/court certificate and made it hard to answer the question on the DS-230 about where he has lived for more than 6 months over the age of 16... uh, nowhere, he has only been 16 for 20 days... haha)

Ah, the wiki page. I was very active on the spouse wiki pages when they were initiated in 2008. I just feel like it is such a colossal waste of time to dig through all the threads, when most of us need approximately the same information. Like your experience with the I-864W, people can really learn from that... Mostly I complied what you guys have posted in this thread! Yes, I went through one weekend and read every single page. I hope others will contribute extensively.

Congratulations on your new life with the kids! That is so wonderful. I am surprised you still want to peek in here, haha. All of this is so stressful.

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

It seems we are on the same road. I wanted to do a timeline for this I-130 submission, but I could not figure out how to create a new timeline. Thanks so much for directing me to so much excellent information.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Timeline

Good luck to everyone!

Its great that things are going okay despite the hiccups.

This thread has helped a lot of persons, Thanks for starting it.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Thanks for the response. Glad NVC caught that as it will make things much easier for you.

Sancruz congrats on the interview date! I am with you on the moment being bittersweet. My husband and I are nothing but excited but I feel for their mother as I know this wasn't an easy decision (years in the making) and it isn't going to be an easy transition.

Welcome KatandFreddy! Thanks for joining our thread. Good luck on the process! We're there any questions you still needed to be answered? I think quite a few of them got answered.

Hi FaSa2008, how was your interview?

Good luck to everyone!

beejay, oh my goodness. I'm glad everything worked out at the airport and thank goodness the mom was able to be there. I hope we dont run into something like that. We also have a notarized letter from our biological mom. Like someone else mentioned the flights out of there are afternoon so we will make sure we are there early just in case they have any issues.

Im so glad this process is over for you and I hope the kids are adjusting well. Hopefully in a few short weeks I will be across that finish line also. We have 24 days unti our interview and the closer it gets the less sleep i seem to get. So anxious, nervous, excited, etc...

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hey beee jaaayyyyy

so glad all that frustration ended okay and you are enjoying sweets and ice cream with your kids LOL..how AWESOME..so they will be starting school mid semester? okay well they are young right?? i bet that will be a smooth transition..

velrich or any other jamaican filers? did you guys have any problems?? ive never seen where consent is even required by the immigration officers in Jamaica let alone a special form.. just wanna make sure that is still the norm..

im taking my time right now with NVC.. just sent in the AOS paperwork and will be paying the IV bill next week.

i am banking on the kids coming in the summertime and then starting school in the fall.. hopefully the processing times stay the way theyve been going..

good luck everyone!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

hey beee jaaayyyyy

so glad all that frustration ended okay and you are enjoying sweets and ice cream with your kids LOL..how AWESOME..so they will be starting school mid semester? okay well they are young right?? i bet that will be a smooth transition..

velrich or any other jamaican filers? did you guys have any problems?? ive never seen where consent is even required by the immigration officers in Jamaica let alone a special form.. just wanna make sure that is still the norm..

im taking my time right now with NVC.. just sent in the AOS paperwork and will be paying the IV bill next week.

i am banking on the kids coming in the summertime and then starting school in the fall.. hopefully the processing times stay the way theyve been going..

good luck everyone!!!!

I have spoken to some friends who have brought kids over recently from Ghana and they are telling me the same thing. Pretty much all they are presenting are notarized documents from the other parent, receipts from school fees, and other documents proving a relationship with the child and they had no problems at the interview or getting in the US.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Hi everyone,

This whole process is making me sick to my stomach. I officially hate USCIS. I cannot wait to be done with them. I sent in my I130 in July, and haven't heard anything since then. Originally, I was patient and not in a rush since I didn't expect her to come until after the school year, but things have changed. My step-daughter lives with her paternal grandmother, who has become ill. My hubby's siblings have convinced her to come to the US to tend to her health, but she is trying to wait until the step daughter situation is worked out. The siblings are pressuring her, and keep telling my hubby he needs to go to a lawyer etc. I keep telling them a lawyer will not help at this point and there's nothing we can do but wait. I actually believe that they think its our fault, or we haven't done something.

I told my hubby already that if anything happens to his mom in the meantime, it will be on his conscience so she needs to come whenever she is ready, but we don't know what to do with stepdaughter. My case hasn't been touched since its been accepted, and VSC keeps changing the processing time, so that they're still within processing time.

Im just frustrated.

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Timeline

Hi everyone,

This whole process is making me sick to my stomach. I officially hate USCIS. I cannot wait to be done with them. I sent in my I130 in July, and haven't heard anything since then. Originally, I was patient and not in a rush since I didn't expect her to come until after the school year, but things have changed. My step-daughter lives with her paternal grandmother, who has become ill. My hubby's siblings have convinced her to come to the US to tend to her health, but she is trying to wait until the step daughter situation is worked out. The siblings are pressuring her, and keep telling my hubby he needs to go to a lawyer etc. I keep telling them a lawyer will not help at this point and there's nothing we can do but wait. I actually believe that they think its our fault, or we haven't done something.

I told my hubby already that if anything happens to his mom in the meantime, it will be on his conscience so she needs to come whenever she is ready, but we don't know what to do with stepdaughter. My case hasn't been touched since its been accepted, and VSC keeps changing the processing time, so that they're still within processing time.

Im just frustrated.

This is a terrible situation! I know you are still within the official "processing time" but that is crazy that many of the people who applied after you and got sent to MSC are getting approved so quickly. I don't know anything about the expedite process, but maybe check in with the spouse I-130s forums, as I have noticed a few who have tried that... I believe you would contact a congressperson, not a lawyer... don't know if it would help, but it sounds like you have a good reason and maybe an inquiry would at least get your case looked at by a real person... I am really sorry to hear it is taking so long!!

The prelude - 2007
CR-1 - 2008
ROC - 2010-2011
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

This is a terrible situation! I know you are still within the official "processing time" but that is crazy that many of the people who applied after you and got sent to MSC are getting approved so quickly. I don't know anything about the expedite process, but maybe check in with the spouse I-130s forums, as I have noticed a few who have tried that... I believe you would contact a congressperson, not a lawyer... don't know if it would help, but it sounds like you have a good reason and maybe an inquiry would at least get your case looked at by a real person... I am really sorry to hear it is taking so long!!

Thanks SerenityNOW, I am really at my wits end. The most frustrating part is like you said, so many people who applied later are getting approvals. Ive seen people go from NOA1 to NOA2 in about 40 days. Everytime I try USCIS, I get nothing because I'm within "processing time" . I haven't tried Congressman, but I saw someone else say the Congressman said they couldn't do anything until they were over the processing time.

My stepdaughter is already 13, so shes getting to that difficult stage, and now they are considering leaving her to live with a friend. She doesn't need all the shifting around, she needs stability.

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks SerenityNOW, I am really at my wits end. The most frustrating part is like you said, so many people who applied later are getting approvals. Ive seen people go from NOA1 to NOA2 in about 40 days. Everytime I try USCIS, I get nothing because I'm within "processing time" . I haven't tried Congressman, but I saw someone else say the Congressman said they couldn't do anything until they were over the processing time.

My stepdaughter is already 13, so shes getting to that difficult stage, and now they are considering leaving her to live with a friend. She doesn't need all the shifting around, she needs stability.

Yes, try to get an expedite. From USCIS and NVC. I think it is a valid reason, as long as you can show proof of grandma's medical condition. GOOD LUCK!

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Timeline

My visa was issued today! Thank you for all your support.

Congratulations! When will you come to the US? Which state will you live in?

The prelude - 2007
CR-1 - 2008
ROC - 2010-2011
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.

IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

My visa was issued today! Thank you for all your support.

Wow! Congrats! I've been following your journey, as my son is being petitioned by my husband (the US Citizen). God Bless you! Enjoy being reunited with your mom! :)

Citizenship Event Date Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox CIS Office : Santa Ana CA Date Filed : 2013-05-15 NOA Date : 2013-05-20 Bio. Appt. : 2013-06-13 Interview Date : 2013-09-03 Approved : Yes Oath Ceremony : 2013-09-27 Comments :

3rs1cazbtpo05.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.