Iyawo Ijebu

Sending Gifts To Nigeria

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I purchased a few items to send to my fiacne in Nigeria. Box measured 24"X24"X24" and weighs 15 pounds, DHL (who has a shop behind my house in Nigeria) wants $2,700 :rofl: I might as well buy a roundtrip ticket and go deliver it myself adn with money left over, yes?

So what other way are you folks using?

Thanks.

Edited by Iyawo Ijebu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

So I purchased a few items to send to my fiacne in Nigeria. Box measured 24"X24"X24" and weighs 15 pounds, DHL (who has a shop behind my house in Nigeria) wants $2,700 :rofl: I might as well buy a roundtrip ticket and go deliver it myself adn with money left over, yes?

So what other way are you folks using?

Thanks.

WOW....Really? DHL wants 2,700 dollars for a 15 pound box? Did you try Fedex?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

15 lbs with FEDEX is about $400 to $500. I ent a laptop in 2010 10lbs and it cost $345 more than the laptop. UPS is no better.

USPS is ur cheapest route just maybe not the safest.

I would assume this is ur first care package. Things get stolen and never delivered (goes for mail too...post cards are best).

Try checking air freight companies in ur city and see how th*t goes if u don't know anyone traveling that can take it.

Yes sending stuff to Nigeria is ummm sometimey at best.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

We used the postal one rate box. about the size of a large shoe box, fixed price for as full as you can stuff if and keep it under the max weight. They all made it, I never sent anything too horribly valueable , only lost one item ( a Hallmark seasonal singing moving thing -when you press the spot and it wiggles and dances) It did cost a bit extra on the Nigeria side to bribe it out of the postal service. I always sent an inventory to him so he could bargin on the "fee"

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

6-10 days is off , more like a month but probably the slowness is on the Nigerian side. Yes he would pick it up from the local ( Lagos) post office. After the second one he had an agent that looked for his package and kept it safe - to ensure he was the one to collect the fees

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

try american airseacargo.

http://www.americanairseacargo.com/

LOL I saw the name and thought my husband sent this to me. Thanks for the information. I have two big packages One is 53 lbs yikes. But $248 really isn't bad price. Appreciate it.

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

can you break the stuff down to smaller packages? i send anything 4 pounds and under first class and register it. ive sent cell phones. digital cameras and designer shades...etc...i under value the stuff so it doesnt draw attention of anyone in usa or nigeria. Registered mail is honored in nigeria. They will secure the package...(as far as iv been told) :) u can track it all the way to the exit point of usa then once its registered in 9ja it shows up (most of the time) on their nigeria post site. takes about 2 weeks. but my packages to lagos get there quicker than to other areas of nigeria. i use the paper envelopes from post office. they are thick and padded with some time of paper shreds. (not the card board envelopes) Then u use paper tape to tape all seams. registered insists all seams are tapped with this type of tape. cause they stamp a symbal all along the edge to show if its been tampered with. lol I even bundle everything tightly and wrap with saran wrap over and over so that when anyone feels the envelope nothing is distinguishable or rattles. I use a sharpie to draw gridlines on the sarawrap and write (tamper lines) on it. Ive sent packages like this to ghana and nigeria. Nothing ever lost when i sent in such a way. registered mail is 11.90 for the service on top of the price per oz. I know this maybe seems like much but when i buy a gift i wanna make sure it gets to them and not into the hands of some thief.

Edited by FreeByrd

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Timeline

can you break the stuff down to smaller packages? i send anything 4 pounds and under first class and register it. ive sent cell phones. digital cameras and designer shades...etc...i under value the stuff so it doesnt draw attention of anyone in usa or nigeria. Registered mail is honored in nigeria. They will secure the package...(as far as iv been told) :) u can track it all the way to the exit point of usa then once its registered in 9ja it shows up (most of the time) on their nigeria post site. takes about 2 weeks. but my packages to lagos get there quicker than to other areas of nigeria. i use the paper envelopes from post office. they are thick and padded with some time of paper shreds. (not the card board envelopes) Then u use paper tape to tape all seams. registered insists all seams are tapped with this type of tape. cause they stamp a symbal all along the edge to show if its been tampered with. lol I even bundle everything tightly and wrap with saran wrap over and over so that when anyone feels the envelope nothing is distinguishable or rattles. I use a sharpie to draw gridlines on the sarawrap and write (tamper lines) on it. Ive sent packages like this to ghana and nigeria. Nothing ever lost when i sent in such a way. registered mail is 11.90 for the service on top of the price per oz. I know this maybe seems like much but when i buy a gift i wanna make sure it gets to them and not into the hands of some thief.

Thank you so much FreeByrd. I have only sent a cell phone and it was registered and got there fine. Mail no. Lol

Great idea nothing expensive I am sending just household goods. Sheets, blankets and air mattress and shoes hmmm. So I think I will break it down into smaller boxes. And pray Gods grace on it.

Thanks for the great tips.

ROC I-751

N-400

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thank you so much FreeByrd. I have only sent a cell phone and it was registered and got there fine. Mail no. Lol

Great idea nothing expensive I am sending just household goods. Sheets, blankets and air mattress and shoes hmmm. So I think I will break it down into smaller boxes. And pray Gods grace on it.

Thanks for the great tips.

yr welcome. sorry for all the misspells lol i did send a heavy book in one of those priority flat rate boxes. it got there fine..but wouldnt recommend if something is valuable because priority cant be registered. but its a cheaper way to send something heavy

Edited by FreeByrd

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Filed: Timeline

6-10 days is off , more like a month but probably the slowness is on the Nigerian side. Yes he would pick it up from the local ( Lagos) post office. After the second one he had an agent that looked for his package and kept it safe - to ensure he was the one to collect the fees

Still a bit confused, please bare with me.

So how did your significant know to go tot the postal center. What was the notification process?

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.