Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

If i get the fiancé visa can I then work?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Mexico

Hi I have a girlfriend in united states, I am trying to be with her; if me and her get engaged can we then get the fiancé visa? How long does it take? Am I then able to work and live in united states? Any feedback is appreciated thank you

If you are engaged and ready to get married within 90 days of entering the US with a fiance(e) visa, then yes, your USC fiancee could send off a petition for you to begin the process. No, you cannot work right away when entering with a K-1. You would have to file for your adjustment of status first and obtain an Employment Authorization Document(EAD). That, plus a social security number will allow you to work while waiting on your green card.

See this chart to compare visa types: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

This is the guide for the K-1 visa: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

K-1 is just a ticket to the US based on a future marriage (within 90 days of entry) and immigrant intent. By itself, it is a non-immigrant visa. After the marriage, there is another step, filing for Adjustment of Status (this also costs $1070). Doing this will eventually make you a Permanent Resident - you don't permanently live in the US on a K-1 visa. Once you are a permanent resident, you can work and travel and live in the US. In case the Adjustment of Status takes a while to be approved, there are interim benefits (Employment and Travel permission) that you can apply for with the AOS package. These take about 3 months to be approved. Plan on being jobless for a few months once you enter the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...