Ash&Dave

Filing joint income tax after marrying a Canadian in the US

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys,

I'm a 2nd year resident and made only around $43,000 last year, I was about to file the taxes this year (under the married filing separate) option and saw a refund of only $30.00. My husband (who's from Canada) but has lived in the US for about 10 years prior to moving back to Canada in 2009 does have a valid SS number and has filed taxes before in the US.

The question that I have here is that Can we still file a joint return this year (with his income being zero for 2011) as he has just received the EAD last week. We haven't filed it yet, but we tried doing it jointly my refund went up to about $900.00.

I have been reading on IRS's website and I don't see any problem in us filing together, but I just thought I'd ask here hoping that some of you are in a similar situation and can perhaps share your experiences.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ashley

Were you married in 2011? Did he work at all in 2011? When did he arrive in the US?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Were you married in 2011? Did he work at all in 2011? When did he arrive in the US?

We got married in Nov 2011 (he arrived in Nov 2011 as well). We didn't file for AOS until Feb 2012 though. He worked in Canada in 2011 (but not in the US).

Thanks

He can be counted as a resident for tax purposes if you were married in 2011 but you will have to include his Canadian income. If he paid taxes on it in Canada he MIGHT not be taxed on it again.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I immigrated on a K1 in Oct 2011. I worked in Canada until that time and did not earn any USA income during 2011. I filed a tax return for both countries. I had a choice in 2011 to file either separately from my husband as a dual-status alien or file jointly with him as a resident for the entire year. You can only do dual-status once in the year you immigrate. I chose to do dual-status for 2011 in order to keep things simple and not pay tax in both countries. Mind you the tax treaty is pretty decent and chances are if you pay tax in Canada there isn't any leftover for the USA anyway. But I also got a cross-border accountant who deals with this stuff on an ongoing basis.

Hope that helps...

2011 - 2013 - K-1, AOS, Lifting COnditions

2013 - 2014 - GC approved

2024 - Instead of renewing, why not go the full monty? (They actually made it really easy to do this)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You may file married filing jointly with his income being zero for 2011. He was not a resident and just got his EAD, his Canadian income is only reported based on his US residence, and as stated, he is in the process.

Remember that the deadline is tomorrow. If you are not going to file by then, you need to request an extension. However, I do not know if there's a valid reason for one seeing that he has his SS.

If he were K1 during that time, my explanation may be incorrect. Check it out.

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You may file married filing jointly with his income being zero for 2011. He was not a resident and just got his EAD, his Canadian income is only reported based on his US residence, and as stated, he is in the process. Absolutely wrong.

Remember that the deadline is tomorrow. If you are not going to file by then, you need to request an extension. However, I do not know if there's a valid reason for one seeing that he has his SS.

If he were K1 during that time, my explanation may be incorrect. Check it out.

For 2011, the husband was not an LPR and therefore his income is not subject to US taxation. Being in the US on a non-immigrant K-1 visa does not subject him to US taxation either because a non-immigrant is not a US resident.

If he wants to file a joint US tax return with his wife, he does not list his income as zero. Essentially, he is volunteering to be taxed as a US resident. His income must be included on the joint tax return. He will also qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. His unearned income will be subject to US taxation.

If he doesn't want his Canadian income subject to US taxation, then he does not need to volunteer to be a US taxpayer. His wife can file as married filing separately.

P.S. No one needs a "valid reason" to file for an extension. Anyone can file for an extension. A person who files for an extension has until Oct. 15, 2012, to file. However, tax payments are due on April 17th. An extension does not allow a person to extend the time to send in the government's money to them. An extension is pay now and file paperwork later.

----------------

From the IRS; http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96734,00.html

U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad - Nonresident Alien Spouse

Election to File Joint Return

If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident as a U.S. resident. This includes situations in which one of you is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the tax year, but a resident alien at the end of the year, and the other is a nonresident alien at the end of the year.

If you make this choice, the following rules apply:

You and your spouse are treated, for income tax purposes, as residents for all tax years that the choice is in effect,

You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice, and

Each spouse must report his or her entire worldwide income on the joint income tax return

If you make this choice, you and your spouse are treated as residents for your entire tax year for the purpose of your federal individual income tax return, and for the purpose of withholding U.S. federal income tax from your wages.

However for the purpose of Chapter 3 withholding, you may still be treated as a nonresident alien. Refer to Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Corporations (Chapter 3 of the IRC) in Tax Withholding Types.

In addition, you may still be treated as a nonresident alien for the purpose of withholding Social Security and Medicare tax. Refer to Aliens Employed in the U.S. – Social Security Taxes.

Generally, neither you nor your spouse can claim tax treaty benefits as a resident of a foreign country for a tax year for which the choice is in effect and you are both taxed on worldwide income. However, the exception to the saving clause of a particular tax treaty might allow a resident alien to claim a tax treaty benefit on certain specified income. You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice, but you and your spouse can file joint or separate returns in later years.

Example:

Pat Smith has been a US citizen for many years. She is married to Norman, a nonresident alien. Pat and Norman make the choice to treat Norman as a resident alien by attaching a statement to their joint return. Pat and Norman must report their worldwide income for the year they make the choice and for all later years unless, the choice is ended or suspended. Although Pat and Norman must file a joint return for the year they make the choice, as long as one spouse is a US citizen or resident, they can file either joint or separate returns for later years.

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.