Sveta & Ron

leaving country

49 posts in this topic

i hope with almost 1 hour transfer have time get some flowers also gary you never had problem get flowers thru kiev? i wonder if customs will be tighter since the bombings and the euro2012 coming very soon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know if you have your heart set on Amsterdam ... Singapore has nearly daily nonstop service between Moscow and Houston.

KLM is nice, but Singapore earns its reputation as the best airline in the world, based on my experience.

No visa issues for her with Moscow. Of course, you might need a visa. And there's a hotel conveniently located next to Domodedovo if you need it.

Just another option.

I second that vote for Singapore. They had amazing food, provided socks to everyone, and had a nice selection of movies on their DVR for the flight.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i hope with almost 1 hour transfer have time get some flowers also gary you never had problem get flowers thru kiev? i wonder if customs will be tighter since the bombings and the euro2012 coming very soon

Never had problems with the flowers. They looked at them for "dirt". If they had been live plants with soil attached maybe a problem, but not cut flowers. You know what they say...

Tulips today...Two Lips tonight! :thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have heard gret things about Singapore airlines. I KNOW KLM, CSA and Lufthansa are excellent. I fly out of JFK and Singapore has never been the cheapest to get to Moscow or Kiev. The last couple years only Aerosvit and Aeroflot compete for that spot. Sorry, but there is NOTHING they will do for you on an airplane for 11 hours that I willing to pay an extra $400-500 for...especially not when I have to buy 4 tickets every year for the summer and 3 for winter.

The cheapest is ALWAYS JFK-KBP or JFK-MOW or DOM. Sometimes with a stop, sometimes not. I then buy my own tickets to JFK or drive, depends on the situation. If 3 of us are going I drive. But if only one was going then flying is the best.

We then fly JetBlue to JFK or other people could use Southwest or another low cost airline to get to JFK

And a 1 hour layover would scare me at any airport except Amsterdam. They got it together!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I always do Aeroflot from JFK to Moscow and then SPb. It's the easiest and cheapest. I also have had trouble in the past with non-Russian airlines not being able to read my visa, since my visa is only in Russian. They just don't know what to do with it. I had a serious problem with a checkin lady at Newark and since then I've stuck to Aeroflot.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I always do Aeroflot from JFK to Moscow and then SPb. It's the easiest and cheapest. I also have had trouble in the past with non-Russian airlines not being able to read my visa, since my visa is only in Russian. They just don't know what to do with it. I had a serious problem with a checkin lady at Newark and since then I've stuck to Aeroflot.

Has Sheremetyevo been changed to have easier access between the domestic and international terminals? If you aren't familiar with the airports and don't speak Russian, you can end up spending a lot on a cab. There is a free bus but it wasn't easy to find when I was there. I ended up asking around and catching the bus at an unmarked stop. Even though my wife is Russian and familiar with the airport (to an extent) she avoids it so she can get her baggage checked through to the final destination.

I have typically found comparable deals on other routes through Paris, Frankfurt, and Helsinki (on AirFrance, Lufthansa, and FinnAir respectively). I have never had a problem with someone reading my visa.

Timeline

Has Sheremetyevo been changed to have easier access between the domestic and international terminals? If you aren't familiar with the airports and don't speak Russian, you can end up spending a lot on a cab. There is a free bus but it wasn't easy to find when I was there. I ended up asking around and catching the bus at an unmarked stop. Even though my wife is Russian and familiar with the airport (to an extent) she avoids it so she can get her baggage checked through to the final destination.

I have typically found comparable deals on other routes through Paris, Frankfurt, and Helsinki (on AirFrance, Lufthansa, and FinnAir respectively). I have never had a problem with someone reading my visa.

yup, Aeroflot has its own terminal now. It's all in one building so it's just a question of taking an elevator--no cabs necessary. And I have a student visa that is multi-entry and a separate piece of paper, all in Russian, no English at all. With a regular tourist/business visa, this will not be a problem.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Ron,

The trip should be pretty smooth until you reach Houston. She will have to go through all of that customs stuff and checking her visa and it could take a lot longer than you expect. You should carry as much of the baggage yourself and leave her only the paperwork and small carry on. If you car is at the airport just drop the bags in the car and come back for her. You will probably still have lots of time.

A word of caution leaving Ukraine. They are a lot less strict on what you can carry on, so if you have anything that is packed in liquid or liquids themselves, then make sure you pack them in the check bags. I lost six cans of caviar in Amsterdam because they (OMG) are packed in liquid. :angry:

Having your POE as Houston is a smart move. It could be 2 hours or more for her to clear customs depending upon the crew working, the overall makeup of your passenger list and other factors.

I also like KLM and the way they treat you. Have a great flight.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yea, they fixed it. Those cab drivers scammed me - drove me from one side of the airport to the other... for $20! I guess it wasn't so bad.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, we go to Novosibirsk, and if one needs to go to the interior of Russia, Singapore is a really good bet. Their costs from Houston are competitive with incremental cost we experience in getting to a coast, east or west. Better yet, Aeroflot, Delta or the rest force us into a *long* layover in Sheremetyevo and, consequently, back-to-back overnight flights. Singapore goes to Domodedovo and that airport offers convenient evening connections to the interior of Russia. The Singapore connection cuts off 6 hours of travel time. We arrive at midnight rather than 6 am.

Then, after that, Singapore really does early their consistent first place standing as the world's best airline. That's something a US (or Russian) airline won't be in the running for, as far as I can see, for a very long time.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know if you have your heart set on Amsterdam ... Singapore has nearly daily nonstop service between Moscow and Houston.

KLM is nice, but Singapore earns its reputation as the best airline in the world, based on my experience.

No visa issues for her with Moscow. Of course, you might need a visa. And there's a hotel conveniently located next to Domodedovo if you need it.

Just another option.

Shhhhhhhh novotul! -- Not so loud about Singapore Airlines! I kinda like having an empty seat next to me when I take that flight! :lol:

But seriously, Singapore Airlines' service is consistently rated among the best in the world for a reason. Their economy class puts any US based carrier's business class to shame.

Their IAH-DME fare is among the least expensive you can find for any route going to Russia from the southern US.

And one BIG advantage for a K-1 (or CR-1) traveling to the US -- it's one of the last airlines that STILL allows you to bring TWO bags for free.

Edited by Rob_Lesya

Timeline

Shhhhhhhh novotul! -- Not so loud about Singapore Airlines! I kinda like having an empty seat next to me when I take that flight! :lol:

But seriously, Singapore Airlines' service is consistently rated among the best in the world for a reason. Their economy class puts any US based carrier's business class to shame.

Their IAH-DME fare is among the least expensive you can find for any route going to Russia from the southern US.

And one BIG advantage for a K-1 (or CR-1) traveling to the US -- it's one of the last airlines that STILL allows you to bring TWO bags for free.

I've never travelled internationally without being allowed two bags. It's only on domestic routes that most airlines have either no free checked baggage or just one bag.

Первый блин комом.

Ron,

The trip should be pretty smooth until you reach Houston. She will have to go through all of that customs stuff and checking her visa and it could take a lot longer than you expect. You should carry as much of the baggage yourself and leave her only the paperwork and small carry on. If you car is at the airport just drop the bags in the car and come back for her. You will probably still have lots of time.

A word of caution leaving Ukraine. They are a lot less strict on what you can carry on, so if you have anything that is packed in liquid or liquids themselves, then make sure you pack them in the check bags. I lost six cans of caviar in Amsterdam because they (OMG) are packed in liquid. :angry:

Having your POE as Houston is a smart move. It could be 2 hours or more for her to clear customs depending upon the crew working, the overall makeup of your passenger list and other factors.

I also like KLM and the way they treat you. Have a great flight.

[/quot

if i understand correct you mean me carry the carry on baggage? so she not have to during cbp review? guess not be a problem me claim all the checked bags as we thinking would be about 4 large checked bags as klm allows me 2 per ticket this trip i just made my carryon was 5 pounds over and the counter lady checked it free so had 3 checked bags this trip mostly gifts came back one 25 pound bag seem weird left houston with almost 200 pounds just thinking how much people here in texas will stare once sveta is here as she looks really nice i know most ukraine ladies place alot in how they look i am glad she choise be with me

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.