Georgiabound

Airfares and flights Aus to US

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello everyone :)

As my interview date is drawing nearer I decided to do some research regarding fares to the US.

While searching for one way flights and fares, I wanted to determine the price difference between one way and return fares,

and found that the return fares are cheaper.

So I got to thinking why would you pay more for a one way ticket, when a return is less expensive?

The return flight would not be used, so is this an okay thing to do or, would it create a problem with immigration?

What do you all think?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Most people (myself included) by a return as it's cheaper. the only issue is to make sure you cancel the return leg so that you don't accidentally end up on the manifest and have USCIS deny your AOS because they think you left prior to AP and abandoned your AOS (has happened before).

I've been looking into this myself, and I've found some one-way trips that are cheaper then return. I was just going to book one of those. I fly Delta, if that helps.

Rough Timeline
(I'm terrible with dates)

• Met online May 2008
  • Began dating August 2010
  • Met face to face July 2011
  • Became engaged October 2011
  • Filed Petition for Fiancé Visa October 2011
  • Approved case forward to Sydney Consulate February 2012 (with the wrong email address- caused a lot of stress trying fix)
  • Packet 3 sent to Consulate April 11 2012
  • Interview date sent back on April 18 2012 (according to them. I had to email to find out, which I got a reply to on April 26)
  • Interview scheduled for May 15 2012
  • Interview on May 15 2012: VISA APPROVED
  • Visa arrived in hand May 21 2012
  • Hopeful wedding date: July 7
  • Married July 7
  • Filed for AOS several days later
  • April 29, 2013: Immigration requested additional evidence (my medical)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Georgiabound,

Agreed - it makes no sense! Yesterday I booked my flights to the US and ended up purchasing a return flight on United via Expedia as this was $400-$500 cheaper than a one-way would have been!

I read somewhere (I think it was the Australian US embassy website) that it makes no difference to immigration whether you arrive with a one-way or a return flight.

Only problem with not getting on the second leg of the return journey means you forfeit the airpoints for that!

Cheers

skyenz

Hi and how wonderful to be at this stage of inquiry!

I flew Delta, booked my flight direct with them, and the one-way was cheaper than all the other options. I also was able to upgrade to economy plus, extra legroom. It was well worth the $150 to do it. The seats are wider and more spacious and the section is right up the front of economy, so when you get to LAX you're one of the first in the queue.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.