Kayb

Help n-600

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My application was denied because they said I didn't proof legal custody because they are requiring a court order which there wasn't. What other forms of proof of legal custody will they accept??? I applied for my passport and got it but they(uscis) tell me I also need a certificate of citizenship because my US passport does not proof citizenship.

My application was denied because they said I didn't proof legal custody because they are requiring a court order which there wasn't. What other forms of proof of legal custody will they accept??? I applied for my passport and got it but they(uscis) tell me I also need a certificate of citizenship because my US passport does not proof citizenship.

Please provide more detail about your case. For whom is the N-600? Son, daughter? Here in the US as LPR? etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

they are requiring a court order

If they are requiring a court order there is no way around what they require. You will have to get one.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Sorry N600 for myself through my father, but there was no court order when my parents divorced. I remained with my mother and then later joined my father where he then filed for permanent residence for me. Is it really true that I cant use my us passport as proof of citizenship. I was able to apply

for and get my us passport.

Sorry N600 for myself through my father, but there was no court order when my parents divorced. I remained with my mother and then later joined my father where he then filed for permanent residence for me. Is it really true that I cant use my us passport as proof of citizenship. I was able to apply

for and get my us passport.

Why do you need the N600 when you already got your US passport? Do you have problems in getting your US passport renewed?

--

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am not an expert in this but I certainly always thought a US passport confirmed citizenship (unless you lied during the process of getting it). Then again, the government agency who issues passports is not the USCIS...

- How did you get your passport and when?

- Why is the USCIS interested in your citizenship (are you petitioning for someone)?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Really not much to go on, make believe someone else typed this post and see if you can understand it. Gather the DOS gave you a passport based on your supplied evidence, they only want proof that your single parent bringing you here either has permission to get your passport from your biological parent or has a divorce paper where they can show full custody of you.

But this only applies if you are under the age of 16 years old? So that tells me without that proof you are over 16 years of age. But if you automatically became a naturalized citizen through your parent, that tells me you are under the age of 18 years old. But seems you are dealing with a hard head on this issue with some idiot at the USCIS, and believe me, they have plenty of those.

Without that proof of sole custody and/or permission from the biological parent, you would have never received your green card in the first place during your AOS stage when first coming here. We needed both to bring my stepdaughter here, really needed that court order from permission of her biological father to come here or her country would never let her leave. Not only that, but a second letter was required from him, notarized and all that with the exact flight number or else they wouldn't let her board the plane. This is because she was under the age of 18. But fortunately for her, she was not only under the age of 18, but also under the age of 21, so I could petition for her. Her brother was barely over the age of 21 and I could not petition for him. Eight years later and we still are waiting for word, my wife had to petition for him. So much for those crazy basterds running this country without knowledge of congress making these rules to keeping a family together. Every age has a different law!

I can see why you want to apply for the N-600, would be a once in a lifetime application, and your citizenship will be stored in the social security database that was just recently formed. But in the same light, you would never be here unless that parent had proof that brought you here had that proof of sole custody and even a court order giving that permission from your other parent to bring you here. And the USCIS should have all that information in your super thick file. But for the most part, they are too lazy to look it up, so you have to supply it again, and even again.

Another weird thing when dealing with different governmental agencies and to the best of my knowledge, when applying for a US passport with the DOS, you do not have to surrender your green card, but do with the N-600. So you should still have it. In the case of my stepdaughter, she barely turned 18 when they finally got around to awarding citizenship to her mother, she was not automatically a US citizen at that point. And wait to wait the full five years. You should still have your green card, and can do the same thing by waiting the full five years. Then you don't need all that proof.

All a question of dates with the USCIS.

I can see why you want to apply for the N-600, would be a once in a lifetime application, and your citizenship will be stored in the social security database that was just recently formed.

As far as I know, once you go to the Social Security Administration (SSA) with your US passport, they update your social security number (SSN) with your new citizenship info. That info then propagates (or should propagate) to the database and to the E-Verify system.

Timeline

So I have my us passport and was able to get everything updated (ss, job, DL etc). I went to uscis to see if there was other document that I can give in place of a court order for proof of legal custody so that I could appeal my application. When they found out that I applied for and received my passport they were upset because they said that if I can't prove to them legal custody then how did I prove it to the passport agency. (although passport agency only asked for my birth certificate, my father's naturalization certificate, divorce decree from my parents, my green card and proof of legal entry into the us). They basically accused me of fraud, threatened to take away my passport and file for a motion to have my passport revoked. They said that if I continue to use my pp that I could go to jail. My green card expired and they said that I should have renewed it because having a us pp is not a proof of citizenship. I just don't know what to do now??

So I have my us passport and was able to get everything updated (ss, job, DL etc). I went to uscis to see if there was other document that I can give in place of a court order for proof of legal custody so that I could appeal my application. When they found out that I applied for and received my passport they were upset because they said that if I can't prove to them legal custody then how did I prove it to the passport agency. (although passport agency only asked for my birth certificate, my father's naturalization certificate, divorce decree from my parents, my green card and proof of legal entry into the us). They basically accused me of fraud, threatened to take away my passport and file for a motion to have my passport revoked. They said that if I continue to use my pp that I could go to jail. My green card expired and they said that I should have renewed it because having a us pp is not a proof of citizenship. I just don't know what to do now??

Looks like you have a complex case and I doubt that this can be addressed in this forum. I would suggest that you speak to an immigration lawyer immediately.

Timeline

Thanks guys sorry I wasn't clear at first, I am meeting with a lawyer next week. I spoke was the passport agency and they told me that they grant citizenship separate from uscis and that while they (uscis) cannot revoke my pp, they can request that the agency checks to make sure that I filled out everything truthfully and accurately and that if they (pp agency) finds that I did everything correctly then I have nothing to worry about. They also said that I can continue use my passport as proof.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
I spoke was the passport agency and they told me that they grant citizenship separate from uscis and that while they (uscis) cannot revoke my pp, they can request that the agency checks to make sure that I filled out everything truthfully and accurately and that if they (pp agency) finds that I did everything correctly then I have nothing to worry about. They also said that I can continue use my passport as proof.

The only thing I have issue with in this statement is the idea that the State Department (which the Official US Passport Agencies as found here are a part of) doesn't really Grant Citizenship.

What they do is recognize that you have a valid claim to it and therefore will issue you a passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.