leeanne

AOS application after K1 visa has expired

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can you please advise me if it is ok to apply for a green card after my K1 visa has expired? The filing fee is a big amount that we still do not have it this time and my visa is nearly expired..Did it happen already? What would be the consequences? Please advise. thanks

Filed: Country:
Timeline

You don't have to AOS before your I-94 expires but you must get married to the petitioner before the I-94 expires.

You can file AOS anytime after you're married.

Timeline

Can you please advise me if it is ok to apply for a green card after my K1 visa has expired? The filing fee is a big amount that we still do not have it this time and my visa is nearly expired..Did it happen already? What would be the consequences? Please advise. thanks

thank you so much. Am I still considered a legal alien here even if my K1 visa has expired before filing AOS?

Filed: Timeline

thank you so much. Am I still considered a legal alien here even if my K1 visa has expired before filing AOS?

Look at the date on your I-94 that you got when you entered--this is your period of approved stay. Technically, if you stay past this date without adjusting status, you are considered out-of-status. However, this is generally forgiven for spouses of U.S. citizens as long as you later adjust status, so you should still be able to file the forms at a later date. You shouldn't leave the U.S. until you apply for adjustment of status and receive a Green Card (or advance parole), or you probably will not be allowed back in.

Timeline

Please help me. My I-94 will soon be expiring but we still cannot file for AOS since we dont have enough money for the payment. What will happen? Can I still stay in the US? I am married already to my petitioner. Please advise. Thanks..

You're an out of status alien until you adjust status after your I-94 expires. The problem with not adjusting status is you may not be able to get a drivers license, ID card, Social Security number, etc... until after you adjust. You will not get deported. If you were to get picked up and found to be out of status, you would be brought before a judge who would order you to adjust your status, and then you better get it done. So you're kind of in a legal grey zone of immigration law. Partly considered here legally, but without any of the benefits of being here legally until you adjust status.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Timeline

You're an out of status alien until you adjust status after your I-94 expires. The problem with not adjusting status is you may not be able to get a drivers license, ID card, Social Security number, etc... until after you adjust. You will not get deported. If you were to get picked up and found to be out of status, you would be brought before a judge who would order you to adjust your status, and then you better get it done. So you're kind of in a legal grey zone of immigration law. Partly considered here legally, but without any of the benefits of being here legally until you adjust status.

Sort of correct, but you can get an EAD even before the adjustment of status is complete, and you can use an EAD to get a SSN, DL, ID card, etc.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your K1 merely got you to the U.S., you no longer have a valid visa - it served its purpose at the POE. You are a legal alien, you were entered the U.S. legally. However, your status is in 'limbo' until you file for AOS - you certainly do not want to get caught up in a immigration check point.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

See the other thread you started, your questions have been answered there. Maybe the mods will merge your two threads.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Sort of correct, but you can get an EAD even before the adjustment of status is complete, and you can use an EAD to get a SSN, DL, ID card, etc.

Yes, but it will cost even more. Additional $380 for filing for EAD without AOS at the same time.

I guess you could for some of it, but I have heard of some states refusing to give the DL or ID unless you have the green card. I think it was South Carolina I looked up for someone questioning the requirements, but I'm not 100% sure now. My own state doesn't appear to care if you're here legally. At least they never checked my wife for anything other than asking for an ID. She used her passport but they didn't check the I-94 or ask for any immigration documents to show she's here legally.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.