worldtravel

Prevent immigrant from obtaining removal of conditions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My daughter helped her husband obtain his green card. It is time for him to file for removal of conditions. Unfortunately her husband was physically and emotionally abusive to her and she finally woke up and divorced him. According to what I have read, he still has a good chance of being approved for extension of his green card. I would like to report him to USCIS and hopefully prevent him from staying in the US. I'm sorry if I sound vindictive, but this jerk doesn't deserve to stay here.

Any advice? Should I write a letter or call? I sponsored him to come here - should I contact USCIS or should my daughter?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

If he got criminal charges for the abuse, it would not be that easy for him to get a permanent green card. Other than that, I don't know - anything that has the potential to show that the marriage was not bona fide while it lasted could hurt his case but that would be more lack of things, such as joint financial documents, living together (joint lease, mortgage), etc. Not sure if you/daughter could send an affidavit to USCIS describing the situation and what that would do - maybe other VJ-ers could shed some light.

Anyway, at least he's out of your life and your daughter is moving on - that's the important thing, even if he somehow gets to stay in the US for now. He'll probably get in trouble for something else if he indeed is what you describe him to be. Sounds like he's not worth your attention, I'm sure you could spend your time better than to worry about him!

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

He might be a jerk but that doesn't make the marriage fake. If she has proof the marriage was fake then she stands a chance of stopping him from ROCing. If he gets charged with domestic violence there's a chance it will stop him from ROCing.

BUT... as much as I appreciate you want to support your daughter, and that's great, you have no right to decide whether he gets to live here or not. Just like you wouldn't have the right to tell an ex who was American that he can't live in the same town. Just because her ex-husband is an immigrant doesn't mean his status is any of your, or your daughters concern. That is completely irrelevant and he should be treated like any other jerk who lives in the US.

Submit the statements of abuse to ICE or USCIS. Have him charged with abuse/assault (if you have evidence). But his immigration status isn't your or her concern and it's considered abuse to try and use someone's status again them.

... and he should be treated like any other jerk who lives in the US.

I like how you put it :lol: Jerks should never be special :thumbs:

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

He might be a jerk but that doesn't make the marriage fake. If she has proof the marriage was fake then she stands a chance of stopping him from ROCing. If he gets charged with domestic violence there's a chance it will stop him from ROCing.

BUT... as much as I appreciate you want to support your daughter, and that's great, you have no right to decide whether he gets to live here or not. Just like you wouldn't have the right to tell an ex who was American that he can't live in the same town. Just because her ex-husband is an immigrant doesn't mean his status is any of your, or your daughters concern. That is completely irrelevant and he should be treated like any other jerk who lives in the US.

Submit the statements of abuse to ICE or USCIS. Have him charged with abuse/assault (if you have evidence). But his immigration status isn't your or her concern and it's considered abuse to try and use someone's status again them.

:thumbs:

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.