Jaylen Brit

If you could do it all again...

61 posts in this topic

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those who said they might've chosen the CR-1 route instead of the K-1...may I ask why?

We have not yet decided which route to pursue :/ and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I would have definately considered CR1. Being that it took over a year to get a stupid K1 then having to do AOS, I feel like we will never be finished.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I don't think we would have done anything differently, except maybe file for AOS/EAD/AP sooner after our wedding. We've both been pleased with how the K-1 process has worked in general.

I will say, for those who are bringing in a child or children on a K-2: every minute that I spent preparing for the arrival of my stepson (talking to his school, lining up other kids for him to meet and possibly make friends with, researching extra-curricular activities that are available and other ideas for trips, reading about the experiences of other immigrant kids and kids in general, etc...) has paid off in spades. So far, his transition has been amazingly smooth (knock on wood). Some experienced moms may do all this instinctively, but I felt like I really needed to be prepared for instant step-motherhood, and I am so glad I took the time... not just for his sake, but for the sake of our new marriage and my husband's transition as well.

(F)

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Looking back, we wouldn't have done anything differently.

Saying that though, while we were going through Nebraska with the I-129F...which took an amazing 200 days...we were sooooo frustrated and didn't have a good thought about the USCIS!

But from NVC to the London Embassy it was amazingly fast and no problems whatsoever, and the same goes for our AOS etc.

I am just so pleased that I didn't adjust from the VWP (the thought did cross our minds at one point) but I really don't think I could have stood the stress of not knowing if I was going to be sent back to the UK...that would have been very unsettling for us.

We think we did the right thing anyway :yes:

Jen

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

We aren't done with the process yet, by any means, but things have been moving along smoothly for us. *knock on wood* Being apart has been really crappy, but it's made our relationship stronger.

I guess if I could change anything, I would have gotten my divorce filed sooner, though money and the cooperation of the ex were issues out of my control. Danny got his visa on 23 January, and he's flying over in March, so he's got plenty of time to get stuff sorted before he moves. I'm glad that we gave ourselves LOTS of time as far as the wedding date. We filed the I-129F in July and planned for a June wedding, giving it nearly a year for processing.

I'm just really happy that we'll be able to start our new life together soon! 43 days! :D

(F)

Current Journey - Naturalization

25 Jun 2012 - Filed N-400

28 Jun 2012 - NOA

03 Jul 2012 - Biometrics Letter

30 Jul 2012 - Fingerprints in St Louis, MO

02 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 11 Sept 2012 in Kansas City, MO

08 Aug 2012 - Letter stating interview has been cancelled

09 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 18 Sept 2012 in Springfield, MO

18 Sept 2012 - Approved! Oath ceremony 10/12/12

There may be things I would have opted to do or not to do, in my life in general, but not regarding this issue. I wouldn't change a thing.

My phylosophy is that things happens for a reason, good or bad. Whatever happens, happens. There is always something to learn. Fate exists. I may seems strange or even naive for many people, especially people who don't know our background very well. We believe in fate and we believe in prophecies. Not many people, I suppose, see things the way we do.

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Anything people would have brought over - or not brought over?

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

I brought almost nothing. I can't think of anything I could have brought from there... There is nothing much in Guyana that I could use here anyway!! I always want to bring fruit from home, but it is illegal to bring any in the U.S. :lol:

For the story, one time, I brought these dead Morphos (it's a big blue butterfly which is quite famous in Guyana). A present of my father to his friend (such a good idea, isn't it? :hehe: ). My Dad catched a few and put them in a glass. Anyhow. Imagine the face of the officer opening my handbag at the customs, and asking me what I was doing, carrying these dead butterflies in these glasses??! :unsure:<_< Lucky me, I wasn't carrying dead green leaves from the canopy too :lol:

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

If we had known in advance the extent and direction of the timeline changes that were going to happen after we submitted our paperwork, we probably would have done the K-1 instead of the CR-1 and attempted K-3. But there was no way to know that in advance. The CR-1 ended up keeping us apart a little longer than a K-1 would have, but it was the best option given the facts that were available to us at the time, and we don't regret it at all. It's been very simple after arriving in the US, and it felt nice to be married while we were playing the waiting game.

Knowing what we know now, we wouldn't have gotten a lawyer. But knowing only what we knew at the start of the process, the lawyer did give us some helpful info and a feeling of security and confidence. I don't regret that decision, either.

I think maybe we would have brought a tostiarepas (a cooking appliance for making the Venezuelan national food). We'll probably try and bring one back on our next trip.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

This will put me in the minority on this thread, but I would have done nothing differently.

Damn, the Agent and I agree an aweful lot lately. Ditto. :thumbs:

I'm with this bunch too. :thumbs:

In the past we have both said, wish had done this and that....but in hindsight the way things are moving, we wouldnt change a thing. We have been lucky and our process has moved quickly even with us seemingly procrastinating with the stage we are at right now. We have our reasons. All going well I hope to have my CR-1 visa April/May. Thats 6/7 months in total from first mailing in petition. Not procrastinating the past month would probably have been a month earlier, but no complaints. Everything has its time. It has given us time to do other things we needed to do as well. We are glad now that we are doing the CR-1 so as not having to worry about all the hassle doing AOS in US. As much as we miss each other, we haven't rushed in doing things. Sometimes I've gotten frustrated even though I understand why we are procrastinating hahahaha lucky for me hubby has reasoning power and more patience. I'm more impulsive which is not always a good thing. Hmmmmmmmm procrastination crazy6no.gif

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The one thing I wish we could do differently was not hire a lawyer... he was a total waste of money and had no idea what he was doing and cost us a couple of RFE's :angry:

I found this site too late, we had already hired the lawyer :(

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only thing I would have done differently was to not move to the US during the time of year that I did. Between American Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the birth of our niece in January, it was a rough time of year (sentimental reasons) to up and move away from family. To deal with the emotions of all of that was hard, and I think it may have been a bit easier if I had moved in the summer or something like that.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only thing we would have done differently was not hire the lawyer that did nothing (not even file one document despite our haranguing him weekly) that cost us 6 months. Fortunately he refunded our $$ in full and we reported him to the BBB in his state.

On the flip side, we hit NSC and made it through in 47 days, so if we'd filed in summer 2004 we'd probably have been waiting that out at NSC anyway since wait times were longer then.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: Timeline

To those who said they might've chosen the CR-1 route instead of the K-1...may I ask why?

We have not yet decided which route to pursue :/ and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

There was a point in time, when I was starting the AOS process and trying to get all her documents done with DMV and SSA, that I thought I would have rather done CR1 and not K1. But not any more. It took a little effort, but what doesn't?

Not to hijack this thread...but I'm assuming you do the cr1, you don't need AP, AOS, or EAD because it encompasses them all...but it's a longer wait time to get your honey here?

you got it!

but you still have to deal with the DMV and SSA.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.