Cristy

Do you take your shoes off

When you enter a home do you take your shoes off?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. When you enter a home do you take your shoes off?

• I am non USC and always do
    • I am non USC and never do
    • I am non USC and sometimes do
    • I am USC and always do
    • I am USC and never do
    • I am USC and sometimes do
    • I don't wear shoes or I don't have feet
  2. 2. Why don't you take them off?

• I told you I do take them off
    • Too lazy to take them off, just going to put them on again
    • My feet stink
    • My socks are dirty
    • I am inconsiderate
    • My floors are dirty and I don't want to get my feet dirty
    • Shoes make my feet feel happy
  3. 3. Would you be more inclined to take them off if....

• Again, I told you I do take mine off
    • I was at someone elses home
    • The floor was just washed
    • My wife/husband yelled at me to do it
    • I had Velcro shoes or slip ons
    • I had nowhere else to go
    • There were slippers waiting for me to put on

80 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Debi does not care if you think it rude, you come in, your shoes go off. Even the repair people!

K-3 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2002-09-28

I-130 Sent : 2004-06-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2004-06-29

Re-entry to U.S. Denied:2005-12-31

I-130 Approval : 2006-03-09

NVC Received : 2006-05-02

Your I-130 was approved in 646 days.

NVC Packet complete 2006-09-14

Interview : 2006-11-01

Visa: 2006-11-02

POE: 2006-11-02

Arrived at home: 2006-11-04

Welcome Letter: 2006-11-24

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

LOL...this is interesting!

I don't take mine off the minute I come in my own door. But we've hardwood floors so I usually take them off soon after coming in.

As far as going to someone else's house, I look for 'signs' - like if the host or hostess answers the door in sock feet, or if all the shoes of the family are by the door.

I never thought of asking what the homeowner would like me to do.

I always take my shoes off and have quite a collection in my foyer. I hate shoes with a passion and have even been known to leave them in the car and walk into my house. :blush:

Hubby on the other hand has a pair of *house* shoes. they are only worn indoors, and only when he is walking around on the tile, once on the carpet, shoes come back off! :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
When I'm in my own house, my shoes come off the minute I'm in the door. If I am at someone's house I keep them on. I think it's rude to take your shoes off in someone else's home.

Ditto

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
LOL...this is interesting!

I don't take mine off the minute I come in my own door. But we've hardwood floors so I usually take them off soon after coming in.

As far as going to someone else's house, I look for 'signs' - like if the host or hostess answers the door in sock feet, or if all the shoes of the family are by the door.

I never thought of asking what the homeowner would like me to do.

I also look for signs when I go to some one else's house...is there bright white carpet? Are all their shoes at the door?

If I don't know the person well, I ask if I should take off my shoes. Most people say I don't need to.

I usually take my shoes off when I get home, just because I'd rather not have shoes on (not for any cleanliness purposes).

But I hardly know anyone that requires shoes off in their house. I can only remember one person who was adamant about it. Must be just who you know. I am not required to take off my shoes at any of my friends' or relatives' houses. In fact, I only feel comfortable taking off my shoes at good friends' houses or at family's houses---to be comfortable, not to keep their floors clean. :P

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In our own home, yes my son and I take our shoes off. My husband doesn't though (he owned the house before we came along) and his family doesn't when they visit. When we (son and I) have gone to other people's homes (including inlaw's) they thought it was odd that we were taking our shoes off and insisted we keep our shoes on. Now I'm dreading the day when we get new carpeting and in walk the inlaw's with their shoes on especially in bad weather.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I was growing up, shoes were off and that was that. I mean that's what socks and slippers are for. My mom always offers slippers to visitors. Coming here, where everyone wears shoes throughout their houses drives me crazy. It takes everything I have not to say something about it.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
When I'm in my own house, my shoes come off the minute I'm in the door. If I am at someone's house I keep them on. I think it's rude to take your shoes off in someone else's home.

my thoughts exactly :thumbs:

Edited by Savanphil

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

See and I can think of nothing more rude than leaving your shoes on to go in someone elses home. I take it as a slap in the face when someone does it. Now I have to clean up after you? I think not.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Having been in a relationship with a Japanese person and exposure to that culture, it has become mandatory in my house. Shoes are filthy. If the ladies spent some time in mens room they would probably make it mandatory as well!

Feb. 2005 - Met in Brazil the first time

May. 2005 - Visited Brazil

Aug. 2005 - Visited Brazil

10/30/05 - Mailed I129F

11/09/05 - NOA1

Nov. 2005 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/02/06 - NOA2

Feb. 2006 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/24/06 - Packet received at NVC

03/20/06 - Fiance received packet 3 from consulate

04/26/06 - Fiance received appointment letter

05/09/06 - I flew to Rio

5/10/06 - Met fiance at airport

5/11/06 - Medical exam in Rio

05/12/06 - Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!!

05/17/06 - Received visa in Rio

07/20/06 - POE Miami

10/16/06 - Married!!!!

01/10/07 - Sent AOS and EAD application

01/17/07 - NOA - Receipt

02/02/07 - Biometric appointment

02/09/07 - NOA - Transfer of case to California center

03/22/07 - EAD approved

05/10/07 - AOS approved!!!!

Eulalia and Bill

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think it's funny and kinda tacky to take your shoes off when you go to someone's house. That's how I was raised though..... how nice would it look? All dressed up, legs crossed, having a interesting conversation, barefoot.... :no:

But I'll do that if I notice that's the "norm" in that place. Don't want to upset anyone. hehe

At home, I always have my flip-flops on though. I live right next to the third largest mining company in the world... so even if we clean our house 3 times a day, our feet still get kinda dirty. :P

Edited by MrMrsKnight

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I think people usually have enough common sense that if they just walked through mud and rain in your yard, they will take off their shoes in your house or will wipe them off completely on a front mat.

We don't require people to take their shoes off in our house. Our carpets/tile never get dirty because people wear shoes in here. I walk barefoot in my house a lot and my feet don't get dirty from the floor.

I didn't know the shoes on or off thing was such a touchy subject for some and some people are so passionate about it. :lol: It's kind of funny. I don't think it's rude whether you keep them on or take them off. Do what makes you happy. If it really bothers you that people keep their shoes on, kindly ask them to remove their shoes at your house. I've been asked to remove my shoes before, no big deal. Of course if someone is worrying about their feet stinking, they will feel very uncomfortable. :P

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Such a biased poll! The only reason that I might possibly not remove my shoes is that I am rude, inconsiderate, my feet smell or my socks are dirty? How about "I just don't"? I don't necessarily remove my suit jacket either, why must my shoes be removed?

Of course if I go to someone's house and they ask me to remove my shoes, I do. Or if we arrive together and they take their shoes off as they enter, I do the same. But I don't think it's rude or inconsiderate of me not to do so if no one tells me it's expected.

Why are you really frustrated about this? If you want people to remove their shoes when they enter your house, ask them to do so. Sheesh.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Such a biased poll! The only reason that I might possibly not remove my shoes is that I am rude, inconsiderate, my feet smell or my socks are dirty? How about "I just don't"? I don't necessarily remove my suit jacket either, why must my shoes be removed?

Of course if I go to someone's house and they ask me to remove my shoes, I do. Or if we arrive together and they take their shoes off as they enter, I do the same. But I don't think it's rude or inconsiderate of me not to do so if no one tells me it's expected.

Why are you really frustrated about this? If you want people to remove their shoes when they enter your house, ask them to do so. Sheesh.

Er...it's just a poll you know. Yes, the OP obviously has had problems in the past due to people not taking off their shoes (which I personally can understand btw), but it certainly ain't worth YOU getting your knickers in a twist.... :)

Pssst...smelly feet!! :lol:

Edited by mags