L+T

Official Resident

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

At what point in the process do you become a resident?

The reason I ask is my fiancee can drive using her foreign license for 1 year upon entry or until she becomes resident of state (at which time will need local license).

Your fiancee will become a conditional permanent resident after receiving her 2-year Green Card, after you marry and apply for Adjustment of Status. In some states she can apply for a driver's license after receiving her Employment Authorization card.

Our Journey begins

Met online in March 2009. Started dating through Skype in September 2009. Met in person on 03/14/2010. After many visits, both ways, Nate proposes to Liz on 8/10/2010.

Our K-1 Journey
K1 Visa processed at Vermont, approved in 106 days. Approved at CDJ on 19/09/2011
Our AOS Journey from K

Applied for AOS on 12/27/2011

-AP/EAD combo card processed at Vermont, approved in 86 days. Approved on 3/22/2012; Card Received 3/30/2012

-GC processed at Vermont, approved in 268 days. Approved on 9/20/2012; Card Received on 9/26/2012
Our RoC Journey

08/30/2014: Sent package to Lockbox

09/02/2014: Package Received in Chicago

09/05/2014: Received NOA1 (Extension letter for 1 year)

11/30/2014: Called USCIS, Biometrics appointment not received yet. Appointment letter never delivered to correct address.

12/05/2014: Finally receive Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

12/30/2014: Biometrics taken in El Paso, Texas ASC

05/08/2015: Approval notice received by email and text

05/10/2015: Approval notice received by mail

05/15/2015: GC in hand

-RoC processed at Vermont, approved in 248 days

Our Citizenship Journey

06/20/2015: Will be able to early file N-400

Timeline

Thank you both, my state, massachusetts (or better know to me as taxachusetts) does not accept international DL, only Foreign License. It is good for 1 year as visitor, but void as resident of state, and state license is then required.

It appears from answer this would be at AOS approval... correct? Here is pretty liberal and i don't think there is any limit on how soon she could get one... pending SS card as ID, but issue is passing the test, and perhaps putting off AOS until she passes, if needed.

thx in advance if anyone has any more information on this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Try going to the DMV, your fiancee will most likely get a driver's license valid until the i-94 expires. She might have to have SSN before, I know my state(Indiana) required that - the rest of the documents were provided by my then fiance through signing an affidavit.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

your question is about state residency that is something different in every state. usually after 90 days your considered a resident of that state. and must change all docs to that state for there tax basics. same if you move to different state. now i would estimate after your married for 90 days she can get local dl and such.

good luck

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Timeline

your question is about state residency that is something different in every state. usually after 90 days your considered a resident of that state. and must change all docs to that state for there tax basics. same if you move to different state. now i would estimate after your married for 90 days she can get local dl and such.

good luck

Thank you. I am starting to think technically you are not a resident unless you are allowed to work. (how can you be a resident if you are not allowed to work in the state, right??). so i think the foreign license should be good until work authorization (at least for my state). thank you all for advice. any more knowledge about this is appreciated...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

At what point in the process do you become a resident?

The reason I ask is my fiancee can drive using her foreign license for 1 year upon entry or until she becomes resident of state (at which time will need local license).

Depends on your state. Her immigration status is not the same as her state residency. Vermont considers her residency to begin the moment she enters the state with the intent to live here. They will give her a drivers license if she shows she can remain in the US legally for 90 days or more. They consider getting married and filing for AOS to meet this requirement. A foreign or international license is valid for 60 days only in Vermont. For resident tuition at state schools she must live here for one year to be consdiered a "resident", for fishing and hunting licenses some form of ID to shows residency is all that is required...a checking account in her name with a Vermont address.

In other words, it all varies by state and for purpose. Immigration status applies ONLY to immmigration issues. Most of the issues that face us each day are not immigration issues and have separate requirements. Check with the appropriate state agencies, universities, etc.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you. I am starting to think technically you are not a resident unless you are allowed to work. (how can you be a resident if you are not allowed to work in the state, right??). so i think the foreign license should be good until work authorization (at least for my state). thank you all for advice. any more knowledge about this is appreciated...

I am not aware of any states that tie residency to the ability to work or even to immigration status. You need to separate those things in your mind. Many states give "resident" college tuition to people illegally present in the USA. Do not mix them. Immigration staus is not a state issue.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Try going to the DMV, your fiancee will most likely get a driver's license valid until the i-94 expires. She might have to have SSN before, I know my state(Indiana) required that - the rest of the documents were provided by my then fiance through signing an affidavit.

I'm from Indiana too and I looked at the Indiana DMV website but it was so confusing to me on what they require. My fiance wants to get his driver's license when we get to the US, so does he only need the SSN or something else as well? He currently doesn't have a driver's license in his home country (parents never paid for it and we don't want to waste the money now).

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm from Indiana too and I looked at the Indiana DMV website but it was so confusing to me on what they require. My fiance wants to get his driver's license when we get to the US, so does he only need the SSN or something else as well? He currently doesn't have a driver's license in his home country (parents never paid for it and we don't want to waste the money now).

You'll probably go the same route as I did then. Getting state ID - you can sign an affidavit on his behalf and you'll have to show the documents required. However as far as I remember, I had to have SSN before applying. It took 4 days from applying for SSN until receiving it. I brought passport with i94 and visa in, ssn and then the envelope the ssn came in - it has the US address on.

My husband brought 5 letters from banks, work etc. with 2 months apart to show he had his address there. Then his driver's license, birth certificate and ssn. I think that was about it. They copied everything and had him sign the affidavit afterwards. A week later, the state ID was in the mailbox.

After getting the state ID your fiance can take the written test and off he goes driving - he has to have somebody in the car with a valid license) for 6 months before getting the driver's license. If nobody can be in the car with him at all times, I'd recommend getting him a 50cc scooter so he gets familiar with traffic(doesn't require a license when below 50cc).

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.