UgiPletzet

10-year old marijuana use - inadmissable?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi.

I've just filed my Visa request forms, and have naively selected "Yes" for the drugs issue, with the explanation:

"Sporadic recreational use of marijuana. Last time was approximately 10 years ago".

I have never been indicted or convicted of anything.

My interview at the consulate is scheduled for 6 weeks from now (I'm an Israeli citizen, residing in Israel).

Will this make me inadmissible? How much trouble am I looking at?

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi.

I've just filed my Visa request forms, and have naively selected "Yes" for the drugs issue, with the explanation:

"Sporadic recreational use of marijuana. Last time was approximately 10 years ago".

My interview at the consulate is scheduled for 6 weeks from now (I'm an Israeli citizen, residing in Israel).

Thanks!

Hi,

I am pretty sure that they are going to deny you based on that answer. I am sorry to say. I guess you can file for what is called a waiver once you have been formally denied.

Hi.

Thanks!

Pretty much admitting to a drug use is applied under Section 212(a) (2) of the Immigration & Nationality Act (INA). Which is a lifetime ban for the visa. You will be able to appeal it, but you will need a really good lawyer to fight it over, and the chances are really slim of this getting overturned.

Good luck, please keep us updated.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Thanks for the (not so promising) replies.

This basically means that a large percentage of the applicants flat out lie in their application, right? I guess that was the way to go...

What about admitting to a single-time usage? Would that be somehow better? I saw some exception regarding that.

Thanks again.

This basically means that a large percentage of the applicants flat out lie in their application, right? I guess that was the way to go...

What about admitting to a single-time usage? Would that be somehow better? I saw some exception regarding that.

Thanks again.

I am sorry to be the bear of the bad news, but it is wat it is.

The law is clear admitting to it makes inadmissible. However you never know, what will hapen. I am sure there being cases when exceptions were made etc..., also lawyers might have a better chance by getting a visa. I guess you just have to wait and see.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

But should I do anything before my interview, or just show up, get my application (most probably) rejected, and continue from there?

There's not really much you can do at this point, other than looking into getting a lawyer for a possible waiver.

The law is clear on drug use, but from experience i know it's not a definite "no."

This is one of those "I know someone who.." And I may be comparing apples to oranges, but I have a good friend who was actually arrested for possession of marijuana, spent the night in jail and received a fine. He applied for a student visa a year later and was denied based on that. The embassy called him the next day and offered to approve the visa if he could pass a drug test. He did, was held up by CBP at the POE for about an hour and a half and then admitted.

Hopefully, the fact that this was 10 years ago, that you were honest and that didn't involve a more serious drug will play in your favor. Let us know what happens.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks again.

[/quote

Nothing is impossible so don't think that all hope is gone. Hire a good attorney and have a plan for your interview and what ever you do, don't lie so then you wont have a misrepresentation charge as well. I have seen people who have committed fraud get approvals. Good luck to you.

• 1 month later...

A short update after my consular interview a few days ago:

1. The controlled-substances thing was a complete non-issue. The officer didn't even mention it.

2. They do require additional checks because of my PhD research, and they asked me for my CV and some answers regarding what I do.

3. I will have an answer in 1-3 weeks, but I'm pretty confident that I'll get the visa, but it'll probably be valid for only one year.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the update, and good luck, si man!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good luck! :dance:

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

good luck and god speed!

"Family time is very precious and you should cherish every moment of it."

01/20/12 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/26/12 - NOA1 received and processing at Vermont.

06/28/12 - NOA2 announced on status check.

06/29/12 - NVC received case learned on 07/2/12.

06/30/12 - Hard copy NOA2 received.

07/09/12 - NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued.

07/16/12 - Receive and Sent DS-3032 via email.

07/17/12 - Mailed DS-3032 via mail, AOS bill received via email, paid online, Optin email sent.

07/18/12 - Optin accepted and new case number, AOS marked paid, emailed AOS packet.

07/24/12 - Assigned as Agent, IV Fee bill received via email, paid online.

07/25/12 - IV Fee marked paid, emailed IV packet.

07/31/12 - Emailed GZO Supplemental Packet 3.

08/02/12 - Case completed and commenced final review.

08/03/12 - Shipped all copies of forms/letters/documents to my wife - arriving on 8/9/12.

08/06/12 - Case completed final review.

08/09/12 - Appointment letter received via email interview date set 9/6/12.

08/14/12 - Medical exam done.

08/15/12 - Medical exam results all normal.

09/06/12 - Submitted required documents at the embassy and interview set next day at 0730.

09/07/12 - Visa approved, click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=10401 .

09/14/12 - Visa received on hand!

10/07/12 - Arrived at NYC! click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=15293

10/20/12 - Received welcome letter from USCIS.

10/25/12 - Green Card received!

"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions." - Sun-Tzu

04/27/13 - Submitted DS-160 online for parent-in-laws and sister-in-law.

05/01/13 - Paid DS-160 or MRV Fee Payments on CGI Stanley.

05/03/13 - Made appointment for 05/16/13 on CGI Stanley.

05/16/13 - Arrived at GUZ and impromptu notice on the front it was closed.

05/30/13 - B2 visa interview passed! Read review here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433263-b2-visa-was-approved-for-parentinlaw/ <p>

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." - ADM Hyman G. Rickover

08/08/14 - Mailed I-175 application.

08/11/14 - I-175 arrived at VSC.

08/18/14 - Received NOA1 with date 08/12/14.

08/27/14 - Received biometrics appointment for 09/09/14.

02/27/15 - GC in production from email notification.

03/02/15 - Received NOA2 with approval dated 02/25/15.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.