hopefulguy

Petition Filed by a US Citizen Vs a Permanent Resident

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

My step dad filed a petition for me on July2008 I-130 unmarried children of U.S. citizens over age of 21. I'm from the philippines. He is a US citizen. The petition was already approved and was forwarded to NVC last year. My mom didn't file for citizenship yet. She's still a permanent resident of America. My question is, Can my stepdad or my mom file an affidavit to change my petitioner? Instead of my step dad petitioning me, she will be the one who will petition me. Correct me if I'm wrong, if my petitioner is my mom my waiting period will be decreased right? From F1 it will become F2B right? Please help me understand things.... Can we still change my petitioner without going back from the scratch?

I would highly appreciate your answers.. Godbless

Filed: Timeline

If your mom petitioned you, yes you should be on F2B category and the waiting time usually from 8-12 years .... If your F1 waiting time is 15-18 years depends with the NVC.... F2B. category in the Philippines is faster than F1.

Not sure if you can change your peitioner since its already approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi,

My step dad filed a petition for me on July2008 I-130 unmarried children of U.S. citizens over age of 21. I'm from the philippines. He is a US citizen. The petition was already approved and was forwarded to NVC last year. My mom didn't file for citizenship yet. She's still a permanent resident of America. My question is, Can my stepdad or my mom file an affidavit to change my petitioner? Instead of my step dad petitioning me, she will be the one who will petition me. Correct me if I'm wrong, if my petitioner is my mom my waiting period will be decreased right? From F1 it will become F2B right? Please help me understand things.... Can we still change my petitioner without going back from the scratch?

I would highly appreciate your answers.. Godbless

hi,

no, that;s not how it works. your mom has to file a separate petition, a person can have more than one petition on their behalf at the same time, it will start as zero.

how old were you when they married? You have had to be under 18 when they married? Why has your stepdad file for a petition for you over 21?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I agree with aleful. Your step-dad could only file for you if he married your mom before you were 18. If that were actually the case then why did he wait until you were over 21 before filing a petition for you?

It's not possible to change the petitioner on any petition. Beneficiaries can usually preserve a priority date if their visa category is converted because of age or marriage, but they can't carry a priority date from one petition over to a completely different petition.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

first,your step father can not file on your behave, only blood parents can.

Second, your mother can only file if she is a citizen, but I have heard of people filing

for their children since they were awaiting taking the test. It a little jump on the

filing ... in hopes of passing the Citizen Test.

If you have Citizen Penoy on your T.V. you need to watch it .. this question comes up a lot on there.

or read Michaei Garfinkal Attorney (his Filipino) and has a web site.

GOOD LUCK

HAHAH he usually tells them it is easier to find a AMERICAN to marry .. the time is so much shorter.vices

single 15 years married 5 months ....now I know what peaks and valleys are in life. LOVE my wife hehehe

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

first,your step father can not file on your behave, only blood parents can. WRONG. A US citizen stepparent (no blood relation) can file for a stepchild if the legal relationship was established before the stepchild's 18th birthday (i.e. US citizen married legal parent before the stepchild's 18th birthday.

Second, your mother can only file if she is a citizen, but I have heard of people filing

for their children since they were awaiting taking the test. It a little jump on the

filing ... in hopes of passing the Citizen Test. WRONG. An LPR can file for unmarried children regardless of age.

If you have Citizen Penoy on your T.V. you need to watch it .. this question comes up a lot on there.

or read Michaei Garfinkal Attorney (his Filipino) and has a web site.

GOOD LUCK

HAHAH he usually tells them it is easier to find a AMERICAN to marry .. the time is so much shorter.vices

You do not have all the facts such as if the US citizen stepfather married mom before the OP's 18th birthday. You are making grossing wrong statements without all the facts.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I AGREE.

My stepmom petitioned me before I turned 18. She is a USC.

Your step-mom could have petitioned for you after you were 18, as well. As long as she married your dad before you were 18 then she has a legal relationship to you that makes her eligible to file a petition for you.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.