one...two...tree

Map shows the worst air in America

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Guess the air in LA is pretty damn good these days.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Those limp-wristed libruls got one thing right this time.

C'mon Fancypants.....you are smarter than this....

In contrast, residents of California, which is famed for its healthful lifestyle, are breathing some of the worst air.

California cities topped the list of U.S. cities with the worst air pollution, according to "State of the Air 2011," the American Lung Association's annual report on air quality, which was released April 27.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/heart/articles/2011/04/27/report-california-cities-have-worst-air-pollution-in-us

California is a massive fail on this issue.....limp-wirsted libruls screwed the pooch, as usual, and try to hide it with mmaps depicting a single aspect of air quality....

Belarus-240-animated-flag-gifs.gifUSA-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

http://health.usnews...pollution-in-us

California is a massive fail on this issue.....limp-wirsted libruls screwed the pooch, as usual, and try to hide it with mmaps depicting a single aspect of air quality....

California is the most populated state and has only a small, light brown circle on that map. Keep your conspiracy theories to yourself. Lets stick with facts.

...the Environmental Protection Agency's Toxic Release Inventory compiles information about air and water pollution in a form that can be easily searched to define local toxic profiles. (It's also a useful reminder this week, when air pollution is at its worst in many parts of the country because high heat triggers increased ozone and smog.) The facilities that generate our electricity are also our biggest sources of air pollution, including both smog and acid rain, and also mercury, which rains down and contaminates us through the fish we eat.

The Environmental Protection Agency recently announced new rules (which actually replace rules that were set in the George W. Bush Administration, but struck down in court) to reduce smog-forming air pollution from power plants in much of the country, and mercury from all coal-fired power plants. The House of Representatives, though, has considered measures that would undermine those and other pollution-reduction efforts by the EPA. The release of this report is designed at least in part to support the EPA's efforts against attacks from Congress.

So which states make the so-called "Toxic 20" list? Here they are, from worst to best:

1. Ohio
  2. Pennsylvania
  3. Florida
  4. Kentucky
  5. Maryland
  6. Indiana
  7. Michigan
  8. West Virginia
  9. Georgia
  10. North Carolina
  11. South Carolina
  12. Alabama
  13. Texas
  14. Virginia
  15. Tennessee
  16. Missouri
  17. Illinois
  18. Wisconsin
  19. New Hampshire
  20. Iowa

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/states-worst-air-pollution-0722#ixzz1qRKgEEdh

Timeline

California is the most populated state and has only a small, light brown circle on that map. Keep your conspiracy theories to yourself. Lets stick with facts.

Ok.....you aren't as smart as I thought. Your little map represents a single aspect of air quality. You have to be able to anylyze a little deeper than "little brown circles." This map represents only "air pollution from power plants " which California has largely avoided building, thus.....

•California imports more electricity from other States than any other State.

•In 2000 and 2001, California suffered an energy crisis characterized by electricity price instability and four major blackouts affecting millions of customers.

http://205.254.135.7/state/state-energy-profiles.cfm?sid=CA

Conspiracy theory? Don't be a dolt......my information comes from the same source as your "little circle map." The American Lung Association. Your read fu is weak.....

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Ok.....you aren't as smart as I thought. Your little map represents a single aspect of air quality. You have to be able to anylyze a little deeper than "little brown circles." This map represents only "air pollution from power plants " which California has largely avoided building, thus.....

•In 2000 and 2001, California suffered an energy crisis characterized by electricity price instability and four major blackouts affecting millions of customers.

http://205.254.135.7/state/state-energy-profiles.cfm?sid=CA

Conspiracy theory? Don't be a dolt......my information comes from the same source as your "little circle map." The American Lung Association. Your read fu is weak.....

Where has the OP been contrary to the article, specifically power plants? I do not see it. I don't really understand why you are attacking him personally.

Edited by Sousuke

Timeline

http://205.254.135.7...iles.cfm?sid=CA

lol...so California doesn't count because they're 'importanting' their energy. Wow, talk about a slippery slope.

Find a list that shows where California ranks in overall air quality.

Timeline

Where has the OP been contrary to the article, specifically power plants? I do not see it. I don't really understand why you are attacking him personally.

What the OP demonstrates is the causal relationship between air quality and power plants. It's irrelevant how much energy California imports from other states as the point is about coal plants and air pollution. The EPA recently announced air quality regulations for any new coal plants, which is similar to the regulations California put in place more than a decade ago, and now we can see the result.

Timeline

Adding some context to this... (See parts in bold below)

According to the NRDC, here are the 20 most toxic states, from worst to best:

1. Ohio
  2. Pennsylvania
  3. Florida
  4. Kentucky
  5. Maryland
  6. Indiana
  7. Michigan
  8. West Virginia
  9. Georgia
  10. North Carolina
  11. South Carolina
  12. Alabama
  13. Texas
  14. Virginia
  15. Tennessee
  16. Missouri
  17. Illinois
  18. Wisconsin
  19. New Hampshire
  20. Iowa

Overall, U.S. power plants emitted 771 million pounds of toxic chemicals in 2009, with the electric sector responsible for 49 percent of all industrial toxic air pollution that year, or 382 million pounds. [ Top 10 Alternative Energy Bets ]

Accounting for 12 percent of U.S. industrial air pollution, Ohio's power plants emitted 44.5 million pounds of harmful chemicals in 2009. For comparison, the 20th ranked state, Iowa, was responsible for just 1 percent of U.S. industrial air pollution, or 2.5 million pounds of harmful chemicals.

The researchers also looked specifically at mercury air pollution, finding Ohio and Pennsylvania also took the top two spots in this measure.

The EPA is attempting to revise its public health protections to make its Mercury and Air Toxics standard stricter, but lawmakers including House Energy and Commerce Committee chair Fred Upton (R-MI) have vowed to block the new measures. According to the EPA, the proposed standards would prevent up to 120,000 cases of childhood asthma each year and save 17,000 lives per year by 2015.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43831412/ns/us_news-environment/t/states-ranked-power-plant-pollution/#.T3N2vNl2OSo

Timeline

lol...so California doesn't count because they're 'importanting' their energy. Wow, talk about a slippery slope.

Find a list that shows where California ranks in overall air quality.

How about LA, which you claimed above as a example of liberal success.....or maybe the top 6:

The most polluted US cities

(By particle pollution)

1 Bakersfield, CA

2 Los Angeles, CA

2 Phoenix, AZ

2 Visalia, CA

5 Hanford, CA

6 Fresno, CA

http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

Timeline

How about LA, which you claimed above as a example of liberal success.....or maybe the top 6:

The most polluted US cities

(By particle pollution)

1 Bakersfield, CA

2 Los Angeles, CA

2 Phoenix, AZ

2 Visalia, CA

5 Hanford, CA

6 Fresno, CA

http://www.citymayor...d_uscities.html

Cities are the worst for air pollution - no one is arguing against that. You have to look at California's Clean Air Act and see whether or not those regulations had any impact on air quality. Clearly, the stricter regulations on coal power plants has had an impact as demonstrated by that map. So ask yourself why the Republicans want to try and block the EPA from adapting similar regulations on a national level?