J&P!

can I send my passport to India by post from London to reissue?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone!!

so here I am my K1 is approved, so happy but the US embassy called to let me know I have to get a new passport as my DOB is wrong.

we did make our lawyers aware about this but they didn't really take this seriously. anyways I have to send my passport to India so my family can get a new one issued for me. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Will I be able to send my passport by post from London to India, if yes which is the best way? and will it be a issue for my family to send me the passport back.

I hope some can help me. :help: :help: :help: :help:

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Send it with a courier service only. Like UPS, DHL, Fedex.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I wouldnt feel safe posting my passport anywhere! Cant you apply for a passport through the Indian Embassy here in the UK? When I get the states, I'll need a new passport within 2 years and rather than getting my parents to apply for one at home in the UK, I'll do it through the UK Embassy in Washington DC.

View my K1 -> ROC Timeline

*Filed I-129F - 21st October 2011* *Applied for SSN - 8th June 2012* *Filed I-751 (arrived) - 26th March 2015

*NOA1 - 28th October 2011* *Filed for AOS, EAD & AP - 26th June 2012* * Check cashed - 30th March 2015
*NOA2 (no RFE) - 26th January 2012* *AOS, EAD, & AP arrive at Chicago Lockbox - 28th June 2012* NOA1 - 26th March 2015 (arrived 3/4/15)

*Packet 3 sent - 27th February 2012* *Email notification of receipt - 3rd July 2012* *No biometrics letter - Service Request submitted 5/4/15
*Medical - February 28th 2012* *Check cashed - 7th July 2012* *Still no biometrics letter - 2nd Service Request submitted - 8/6/15
*Packet 4 received - 17th March 2012* *NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP - 9th July 2012* *Biometrics in Aurora, CO - 8th July 2015*
*Interview in London - 5th April 2012. APPROVED!!!* *Biometrics in Philadelphia (Drummond Road)- 7th August 2012*
*POE Newark, NJ - 16th May 2012 *Biometrics walk in at Philadelphia (Drummond Rd) - 25th July 2012*
*K1 process took 160 days* *Case Transfered to California Service Centre - 26th July 2012*
*SSN DENIED! - 17th August. 10 weeks after I applied!!*

*EAD/AP Approved - 28th August 2012* 59 days
*Married! - 1st June 2012* *EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
*EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
* Re-applied for SSN - 14th September 2012*
*Put in service request at 8mo/3days wait - 19th March 2013*

* AOS Approved!!! - 1st May 2013* Exactly 10 months after applying.

*Green card in hand - 6th May 2013

2yrdn5s0q.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I wouldnt feel safe posting my passport anywhere! Cant you apply for a passport through the Indian Embassy here in the UK? When I get the states, I'll need a new passport within 2 years and rather than getting my parents to apply for one at home in the UK, I'll do it through the UK Embassy in Washington DC.

I was about to ask the same thing. Most Embassies process passports for their citizens. You should be able to go to the Embassy of India in the UK and get it done there. I believe the information you need is here http://www.hcilondon.in/passport.php

I was about to ask the same thing. Most Embassies process passports for their citizens. You should be able to go to the Embassy of India in the UK and get it done there. I believe the information you need is here http://www.hcilondon.in/passport.php

True. but many times it can take ages for them to do it. Not necessarily their fault, but they have to interact with the issuing agency back in the home country. Too many hands, too many offices in between. If a problem comes up, you are at the mercy of a good communication framework: that is, someone needs to tell you that there is something wrong

I recall a case in which it took about 1 year, mostly because someone drop the ball and did no communicate the person needed the passport that there was a problem with the pictures and later on because there happened to be elections in that country and all agencies providing anything related to identification documents where on a 'freeze' for several months. Crazy? Yes, but each country has their own crazy bureaucracy. Just check how many things people report here about USCIS and DOS; and this is supposed to be the country of the high efficiency.

This is not a good time to save $.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wish I could do that, as its a change of DOB UK Indian embassy can not do anything I have to contact the local office in India who issued my passport. Its not a good situation to be in. in india I have to get a affidavite from a high court judge to be able to change my DOB :bonk:

Moreover according to the Law in India sending passport by post passport is illegal. I am so upset.

Edited by J&P!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.