tivolierin

Time limits of tourist visas for family members

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi all!

My husband has his permanent residency and is originally from South Africa. My mother-in-law wants to come to the US for one year to help out with caring for the twins girls we just welcomed. Does the US give tourist visas for a duration of 1 year? Has anyone else had experience in bringing over inlaws for a similar length of stay - and if so, any advise for us?

Thanks so much!!!

Erin

Filed: Timeline
Hi all!

My husband has his permanent residency and is originally from South Africa. My mother-in-law wants to come to the US for one year to help out with caring for the twins girls we just welcomed. Does the US give tourist visas for a duration of 1 year? Has anyone else had experience in bringing over inlaws for a similar length of stay - and if so, any advise for us?

Thanks so much!!!

Erin

B1/B2 or tourist visa would be the wrong visa if this is the purpose of her visit, unless she could qualify for a temporary work visa (I-129). There is a visa for aliens that serve as home caregivers/guardians, but I believe that is restricted to individuals that have been in that post already, in the home country.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The chances of a work visa are so low that probably best forgotten.

She could apply for a visitors visa, B2.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi all!

Thanks so much!!!

Erin

Hello,

The tourist visa is generally granted for six months time and it is extendable for another six months, but highly unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...

IT depends on the country, Specially with relatives like Mom and Dad it's much easier for them to get a visa to come to see their kids, IT's alll about luck and what consulate, some are generous with 10 years visas, others will limit it to 6 months or so, But i guess it has to do on how you word the invitation letter. On the invitation letter to my sister in Law i noted that she's very closed to my wife, she has a stable job there, she brought her documentation from her job, and ALSO that's the catch we request A MULITPLE ENTRY visa, since we expect her to come over on a regular basis. We got luck and she got a 10 year multiple B2 Visas. Good luck

Hi all!

Thanks so much!!!

Erin

Hello,

The tourist visa is generally granted for six months time and it is extendable for another six months, but highly unlikely.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not really. It does depend on the consulate of course but many parents have been denied tourist visas to come to their children's weddings. Very little weight, if any, is given to the reason for the visit - it all comes down to proving ties to the home country/lack of immigrant intent and the whim of the officer at the POE.

Erin,

A B2 visa does not determine how long the holder can be in the USA - the CBP officer who grants entry at the POE makes that decision. Six months is the longest stay that a CBP officer can grant. However, an extension of stay can be applied for once the visitor has been admitted.

In my experience, which is not with South Africa, the reason that you are stating for your mother-in-law's visit is a sure bet for the visa application to be denied. Anyone who has the freedom to spend a year in the USA, or even 6 months, can spend longer. It may be very difficult for such person to demonstrate a compelling reason to leave the USA. On the other hand, taking care of one's grandchildren can be a compelling reason for a woman to stay on indefinitely.

Yodrak

Hi all!

Thanks so much!!!

Erin

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Well...

Here I come again thinking that there are ways around to everything.

If she applies for a visitors/tourist visa, she does not have to say at the embassy that she is intending to be here for 6 months or more. My mother is a retired teacher, and she's not working right now, all she has is her pension.

She applied for a tourist visa to come to the US for my wedding, aside from her pension, she took the appartment deeds, and showed documentation to prove ties to the country. Also, me and my dad provided her with financial documentation and letters stating that we were covering for her expenses here in the US. Also, I gave her a letter where I explained that I had just had obtained my K1 visa, and I was moving to the US, and that my wedding was such and such day, and signed the letter including my A # (from my visa) and all the details from the visa. She was approved.

Now the reason behind my story. My mom is 57 years old. And last time she came to the US (just about a month ago) the CBP stamped her passport and told her that she could stay in the US a maximum of 6 months.

Now, I know that dumping the price of the ticket is not easy, but I plan that whenever we decide to have our children, my mom is going to be able to stay with me for at least 6 months, she could go back and then after a couple of months, I could try and send her the ticket again for her to come (if she wants to).

So, I guess what I am saying is try the B1/B2 visa, show ties to your home country, and then (depending on her age) she might be able to stay for at least 6 months. I know some people have requested extensions of their B1/B2 visas, but then they have problems when try try to come back. So, I dont reccomend that.

Good luck with her visa, and congratulations on the twins!!

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.