4ever mine

adding my spouse to my health plan

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello, All:

My marriage took place in Jan. 2010. My husband entered the US on 02.14.2012. My employer would not add my husband in 2010 because he was not in the US even though my premium would not change. Now that my husband's here, my immdeiate boss told me that I missed the qualifying event to add him as you need to add him within thirty days of the marriage. I have another person in HR that submitted the paperwork to my insurance plan. My insurance plan is pushing it through, but now my immediate boss and the other person in HR at a road block. Should he be added to my health plan or do I need to remarry him in the US or wait for open enrollment? My immediate boss also indicated that if they do add him after the qualifying event deadline that they will have to do it for everyone. I feel lost and kin of upset because I know he can be added if my boss was to ssupport it.

Edited by 4ever mine

I'm not sure if the rules/regulations are different from employer to employer, but I am in a similar situation. My "husband" arrived a few weeks ago and my HR dept said that I had 30 days from the date of entry to the US to submit a change of benefits form, which I did immediately upon his arrival.

So if the rules are the same across the board, you do not have to wait until open enrollment, but in stead submit the change form within 30 days of his arrival to the US.

It sounds like someone in the company is hesitant on adding him on....which is strange since you said the premium wouldn't change.

Married: 6/17/11

I-130 Sent: 7/9/11

NOA1 : 7/14/11

I-129F Sent: 7/21/11

NOA1: 7/21/11

NOA2: 8/22/11

NVC Received: 8/24/11

NVC Left: 8/26/11

Consulate Received: 9/5/11

Packet 4 Received: 10/4/11

Medical Done: 11/7/11

Interview: 11/23/11

Approved: 11/23/11

Changed to CR1: 12/16/11

Medical Re-Done: 1/5/12

Waiting for Issuance of Visa.........

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hello, All:

My marriage took place in Jan. 2010. My husband entered the US on 02.14.2012. My employer would not add my husband in 2010 because he was not in the US even though my premium would not change. Now that my husband's here, my immdeiate boss told me that I missed the qualifying event to add him as you need to add him within thirty days of the marriage. I have another person in HR that submitted the paperwork to my insurance plan. My insurance plan is pushing it through, but now my immediate boss and the other person in HR at a road block. Should he be added to my health plan or do I need to remarry him in the US or wait for open enrollment? My immediate boss also indicated that if they do add him after the qualifying event deadline that they will have to do it for everyone. I feel lost and kin of upset because I know he can be added if my boss was to ssupport it.

From my understandng, you cannot legally "remarry" your spouse in the US as your marriage should already be legal and valid. Can't you just wait until the re-enrollment process comes along again & then add him to your insurance then after submitting the proper paperwork? Maybe obtain the health insurance information and contact the organization yourself for clarity. If you were told you could not add your spouse during the correct enrollment time due to his living residence and status not being "resident" or "citizen" of the US, maybe they have some provisions in place to assist such matters that neither the HR representative or your boss is aware of. I really hope this helps, but "remarrying" your already spouse is definitely NOT a solution to this.

event.png

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

This sounds like BS, I had the same problem. They arent looking at it from the angle of a qualifying life event that effects your SPOUSE. 30 days from entering the US on the visa should be fine, thats exactly what I had discovered in looking into it. Can an employer even roadblock that? It seems wrong to me.

08-27-2011 - I-130 package received by the Chicago Lockbox

08-30-2011 - Received electronic NOA

02-24-2012 - NOA2

03-06-2012 - Received first notification of NOA2 (in mail, website not updated and no txt/email)

Hello, All:

I added my husband to my health insurance within 30 days of our marriage, he's still living overseas. My premium increased and I later realized he'd be paying out of network to use it in Australia - even though I work for a Global company. I took him off my insurance, my employer informed me that I can add him back to my health insurance when he moves to the US. (our I-130 is still pending....5 months, 24 days). My husbands arrival to the US will be considered a life changing event - I'm sure I will have 30 days from the day he arrives to add him back on.

Good luck.

Timeline

I'm not sure if the rules/regulations are different from employer to employer, but I am in a similar situation. My "husband" arrived a few weeks ago and my HR dept said that I had 30 days from the date of entry to the US to submit a change of benefits form, which I did immediately upon his arrival.

So if the rules are the same across the board, you do not have to wait until open enrollment, but in stead submit the change form within 30 days of his arrival to the US.

It sounds like someone in the company is hesitant on adding him on....which is strange since you said the premium wouldn't change.

Based upon what I was told, it was not the health plan but it was my employer that would not add him in 2010. Now under new management, my boss is stating that if they do add him for me then they will have to do it for everyone. But I sat in the office and overheard the health plan representative say that they are pushing it through. I submitted my request to add him within the first week of his arrival. I feel discriminated against from my boss.

Timeline

This sounds like BS, I had the same problem. They arent looking at it from the angle of a qualifying life event that effects your SPOUSE. 30 days from entering the US on the visa should be fine, thats exactly what I had discovered in looking into it. Can an employer even roadblock that? It seems wrong to me.

I agree that they are not being reasonable.

Timeline

from my experience u can still add him at anytime as long his not working, if he was to work then u cannot.

Has to be done within 30 days from the day u married him :)

Edited by deepvision

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I added my husband while he was overseas but if the employer prevented the enrollment and now they are causing another roadblock you might look at the company's grievance procedures. You could also wait and add him when they have open enrollment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Read the rule for changing coverage at mid year. Usually you have to have a "qualifying event" there is a list , marriage,death of a spouse, age out of a child , birth of a child. If you spouse was emploued until he left/ or loss coverage he had there because he moved out of the area it may trigger a qualifying event. If you can't find one you may have to wait until the next annual enrollment.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Read the rule for changing coverage at mid year. Usually you have to have a "qualifying event" there is a list , marriage,death of a spouse, age out of a child , birth of a child. If you spouse was emploued until he left/ or loss coverage he had there because he moved out of the area it may trigger a qualifying event. If you can't find one you may have to wait until the next annual enrollment.

The problem is that the insurance will add him, but y new boss will not approve.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.