Chris V

Applying for K-1 Visa While On An F-1 Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm currently on an F-1 student visa to the United States, going to university down here. I'm just wondering if this would cause any problems if my fiancee files a K-1 visa application on my behalf...

1. While I'm already on an F-1 visa

2. While I'm already in the United States

I'm hoping to graduate in December, and my visa will expire and I will most likely be going back to Canada after that, but will it cause any problems if my fiancee files the application now, before my visa expires and before I leave the country?

It should not cause any problems for you currently, however you will likely need to return to your country for the processing to be completed. You should probably check with the time line in the service center that will handle your case to see if that will conflict with your school schedule. You don't want to return to your country before the school term is over.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You will probably have to go back to Canada before the package 3 arrives.

Like 1happyguy said, you need to check with your service center to get an ideal when that need to happen.

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Chris V

As your wish is to get married........have you looked into marrying in the US and adjusting status.......not having to leave the US once the F-1 has expired.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

I'm currently on an F-1 student visa to the United States, going to university down here. I'm just wondering if this would cause any problems if my fiancee files a K-1 visa application on my behalf...

1. While I'm already on an F-1 visa

2. While I'm already in the United States

I'm hoping to graduate in December, and my visa will expire and I will most likely be going back to Canada after that, but will it cause any problems if my fiancee files the application now, before my visa expires and before I leave the country?

I've often had several visas @ once, and had an active O2 when I applied for my K1. My lawyer did tell me that it wasn't a probelm.

Filed: Timeline

If you are planning to get married why not just marry and do AOS from within the USA that way you will not have to return to Canada to complete the K1...

Please see the link for full details of how you do this...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Kezzie

If you are planning to get married why not just marry and do AOS from within the USA that way you will not have to return to Canada to complete the K1...

Please see the link for full details of how you do this...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

Kezzie

:yes: I've more than once responded to people asking to convert from another visa/status (F-1, H1-b, TN-1) with holder already in US. Always, I've told them to get married (in US--exception with H1-b where due to dual-intent allowance, it is "safe" for holder to reenter US after marriage outside) and do AOS rightaway. Basically, converting to K-1 is a waste of both time and money (initial petition fee of $170 + travel costs + visa issuance fees) for such cases. (those on H1-b can save the AP and EAD fees also "safely"--not an option for those on TN-1).

Only one time, I got lambasted by a Limey (whom I informed "I've been on a TN-1 before and gotten a GC from that through Consular processing--and subsequently become a USC; I don't see in your profile that you're even Canadian--minimum eligiblity for TN-1, so I'll assume your comments are based on hearsay").

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.