Zamerica

Naturalization Interview Concern

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Hi- New to the forum. I am going in for my naturalization interview next week and I am nervous about one of the questions which I assume is asked for everyone. During my green card interview, I was asked if I had ever claimed to be a US citizen and I admitted that I had for employment purposes with a private company. The officer castigated me but approved the application. Now, if the question comes up again during the naturalization interview, will it complicate my application if I once again inform a different officer of the same information? I am assuming they have my answer recorded from the prior interview and perhaps that means that the issue is behind me but since I'll be under oath I do intend to tell the truth and hope that there are no consequences. I am curious if anyone in the forum has any experience or information on this. I seem to have read some horror stories on some other forums about this and it's making me a little nervous. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi- New to the forum. I am going in for my naturalization interview next week and I am nervous about one of the questions which I assume is asked for everyone. During my green card interview, I was asked if I had ever claimed to be a US citizen and I admitted that I had for employment purposes with a private company. The officer castigated me but approved the application. Now, if the question comes up again during the naturalization interview, will it complicate my application if I once again inform a different officer of the same information? I am assuming they have my answer recorded from the prior interview and perhaps that means that the issue is behind me but since I'll be under oath I do intend to tell the truth and hope that there are no consequences. I am curious if anyone in the forum has any experience or information on this. I seem to have read some horror stories on some other forums about this and it's making me a little nervous. Thanks!

I'm honestly shocked that it wasn't an issue for your green card interview. It can be a huge issue for your naturalization interview and one that may not be able to be overcome. I would definitely talk to a lawyer ASAP. You must be truthful, especially given that you've already informed them of the fact you've claimed to be a US citizen. Did you answer the question on the N-400 application truthfully?

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Timeline

I'm honestly shocked that it wasn't an issue for your green card interview. It can be a huge issue for your naturalization interview and one that may not be able to be overcome. I would definitely talk to a lawyer ASAP. You must be truthful, especially given that you've already informed them of the fact you've claimed to be a US citizen. Did you answer the question on the N-400 application truthfully?

Thanks for the response. I will definitely consult an attorney before going in. I answered No on the application with the intent of explaining it further during the interview if asked about it and referencing the fact that I disclosed it during the AOS interview and that I had not made that claim ever again. I'll updated once I have more information from an attorney.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So you lied on your application? Yes, perhaps consult an attorney.

Good luck, honesty is of course ALWAYS the best policy.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Hi Udella- That was definitely a mistake on my part. My take when I was preparing the application was that the slate was wiped clean after the AOS interview but as I was looking over the application this week I saw the "ever" part and figured I had not answered truthfully. I'll be answering the question honestly so hopefully the consequences are not severe.

Filed: Other Timeline

WHEN did that happen (the year), and did you fill out an I-9 form back then?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

WHEN did that happen (the year), and did you fill out an I-9 form back then?

It was in 2005 and yes I did fill out the old I-9 form which had citizen/national together. My understanding is employers are only required to keep the forms for 3 years? Please let me know if that makes a difference or not based on what you know.

You'll have to answer honestly if asked but its probably best to see a lawyer about this, especially since you've already admitted it.

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

First declaring you were a US citizen is a huge issue to begin with and can cause serious issues. Secondly lying on your interview about it is another huge issue. So now they are aware of it, I'd think you could be facing some serious issues during the interview. Talk to that lawyer for sure...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Voting is the key issue with the USCIS, several came on this board that were mistakenly issued a voters registration card when applying for a drivers' license. Most got that resolved. Recently a woman was here, but in her case, thought she checked that US citizen box when applying for a job, but came back after doing research, that she didn't.

USCIS seems to be a lot stricter, least in our experience in the naturalization process, difficult to say what your IO will do about it. Did you actually get that job by claiming to be a US citizen, was the company involved with military contracts? Still a lot of ifs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Here is another if, when Bush made an issue out of immigration, primarily to get our minds off of Iraq, State of Wisconsin passed a law where all employers were responsible for verifying your citizenship or other immigration status. Just seems like if that company that may have hired you didn't check your immigration status, they are really the ones at fault, or at least equally at fault.

Was ironic, high school never wanted proof my stepdaughter was an LPR, they collect more money from the city and state with more students. College was a different story, even with high tuition rates, they definitely wanted to see proof she was here legally.

Things to do:

1. Speak to a lawyer.

2. Correct that answer on your N-400 form during your interview even if the officer does not bring it up.

Since you were approved for the greencard, that fact is working for you. What was your excuse when you told this at your greencard interview?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, if he would have never mentioned that he did at one point claim to be a USC at his previous job, or where ever else, would USCIS have ever found out? Do employers forward the I-90s to them? Unless someone admits to it, how does USCIS know if anyone that files for USC has ever claimed anywhere to have been a USC?

D.O. LOS ANGELES

Sent: I-130, I-485, I-765 to Chicago Lockbox 3/30/07

RD: 04/02/07

ND: 04/09/07

Received Receipts: 04/12/07

Received FP NOA: 04/16/07

FP Appointment: 05/03/07

LUD 485 & 765: 05/04/07

Received INTERVIEW NOA: 05/14/07

Interview Date: 7/13/07 @ 10:35 AM (CANCELLED BY USCIS! 6/20/07)

LUD 765: 6/13/07 (Card Production Ordered)

LUD 485 & 130: 6/20/07

LUD 485 & 130: 6/21/07

Received EAD: 6/22/07

New Interview Date: 7/31/07 @ 10:40 AM APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh man... Making a false claim of U.S. citizenship to any person, whether a government official or private employer is against the law. Section 212(a)(6)©(ii) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended by the 1996 Immigration Act, The section 212(a)(6)©(ii) states inadmissible any alien who falsely claims to be a U.S. citizen for any purpose or benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act or any other federal or state law. If the person made this claim before September 1996 waiver are available. Your case was in 2005 then there are absolutely NO waivers for your case.You will face harsh consequences. Find a good lawyer asap.Good luck.

Edited by sandranj

You will be asked that but just be honest. In the meantime stop worrying. You would only be penalized if you lie. Everything will be okay. Just make a check list of everything that you should take with you and know the answers to the one hundred questions although you will only be asked 10. Once you get 6 right though, that's it. The officers are really nice and respectful. Try not to worry so much. All the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.