greatfargo

Petitioning for parents of a us citizen

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I got my USC and my mom has a non-immigrant visa. She came to the US in a previous non-immigrant visa but she did not come on her current visa. She was diagnosed with cancer last week and I hope to get her here the fastest way for proper treatment. She is over 65 so I want to get her Medicare ASAP. Any advice of the best way to do it will be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I got my USC and my mom has a non-immigrant visa. She came to the US in a previous non-immigrant visa but she did not come on her current visa. She was diagnosed with cancer last week and I hope to get her here the fastest way for proper treatment. She is over 65 so I want to get her Medicare ASAP. Any advice of the best way to do it will be appreciated.

Are you aware of the fact that she will not be eligible for Medicare and you will have to cover the treatment costs yourself ?

If you still want to bring her over for treatment, fastest way to do it would be to use her non-immigrant visa (assume it is B-2), if you want to get her here on immigrant one, than you need to file the I-130 petition and ask it to be expedited (still will take a while) - but that will not make her eligible for Medicare - as far as I know.

Edited by kzielu

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your mother is not going to qualify for Medicare or Social Security. She never paid into them, so she cannot benefit from them.

The US is not going to let your mother immigrate to the US for free medical treatment. Why would the US let in a foreign national and pay for her medical expenses when so many US citizens don't have medical insurance? It's not going to to happen.

Your mother will not qualify for Medicaid (or whatever it is called in your state) either. It's a means tested benefit that the sponsors (you and whoever eles signs an I-864 for your mother) will be liable for; i.e. meaning you pay the medical bills. In addition, new immigrants are not allowed to receive these benefits for the first 5 years of residency.

Your mother will most likely be deemed a potential public charge since she is unlikely to ever support herself in the US. Unless you can pay her medical bills, she is not going to get an immigration visa.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

1st of all let me hope for ur mother to get better & be well enshallah..about ur question, the embassy will not give her immigrant visa when they know her medical situation, but if u showed proof of enough assets to cover her medical bills and support her totally, in this case they "might" consider it...on the other hand the only ones qualified for medicare/medicade r USC -hell even my wife & she is usc didnt qualified for it-...unless u have a fortune buddy i suggest ur mother would get treatment in egypt its much much cheaper & egypt does have fine doctors & facilities...good luck n god bless

over & out

---------Don't just cross the line...BURN IT!----------

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She can come to the US for Medical Treatment using her B2 Visa.

She should not forget her credit cards.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.