blackflash

Can my foriign family stay longer?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you have a valid reason, such as the birth of a grandchild, you can ask for an extension, giving them another 6 months, for a year total. It would mean them not coming back for quite a while afterwards though.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

If you have a valid reason, such as the birth of a grandchild, you can ask for an extension, giving them another 6 months, for a year total. It would mean them not coming back for quite a while afterwards though.

thank you very much what if We are moving there with our newborn and in acouple months we would like them to see him and help out while im working? and if appoved how long is a while for them not to come back?

Timeline

"Helping out" with the baby is usually considered work, and thus not allowed on a tourist visa, as that job could go to an American.

Keep in mind that the tourist visa is for visiting, not living or staying or working. Thus, if they are granted the extension and end up staying a year, they would need to stay outside of the US for at least a year before being granted entry again. Why don't they just come later and stay the 6 months allowed?

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

"Helping out" with the baby is usually considered work, and thus not allowed on a tourist visa, as that job could go to an American.

Keep in mind that the tourist visa is for visiting, not living or staying or working. Thus, if they are granted the extension and end up staying a year, they would need to stay outside of the US for at least a year before being granted entry again. Why don't they just come later and stay the 6 months allowed?

We are under the mpression you can only stay 90 days 6 months is perfect but from what i know they would have to go back after 90 days on a tourist visa. Where can i find infor about a 6 month visa and do they have to fill something out because now since there is an agreement wit italy and the u.s no paperwork is needed forbthe tourist visa

Timeline

Ah, I just realised you are from Italy. If you use the visa waiver program-0 not a tourist visa- then you are correct, 90 days is the most they can stay at one time, no extension. For the 6 months, they'd need to apply for a B2 tourist visa at the US embassy.

**** Moving from Bringing Family to Tourist Visa forum as OP doesn't intend parents to stay ****

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I want to know if once my wife gets her green card does her family have any way to stay longer on a tourist visa? we want to be able to see if she can do some paperwork to allow them to saty longer in the u.s is this possible?

tourist visas are not meant to be used for providing child care, even for a relative. Nor are they designed to allow people to live and work in the US of A. Tourist visas are for....tourism. Period. Few people outside the US are legitimate 'tourists' for 6 months to a year...few people have the resources of Bill Gates which would allow them to remain in a foreign country for an extended period of time without resorting to unauthorized employment....I will go out on a limb (a short one) and suggest your relatives are not in his financial category.

Hire a nanny.

Few people outside the US are legitimate 'tourists' for 6 months to a year...few people have the resources of Bill Gates which would allow them to remain in a foreign country for an extended period of time without resorting to unauthorized employment....

While I know nothing about the OP...I would like to say the above statement is far from the truth. Many many people from my country (Sweden) for instance go abroad for 4,5 or 6 months at a time...as tourists! Without having Bill Gates money ;) It's called saving and taking a leave from work (or if you are retired). Though most of these people tend to go to Thailand or the Caribeean and maybe not the US. But it depends where you have friends, where you can go...

I know though that most of my US friends are lucky if they can get 3 weeks off a year...so yes there are differences. I sincerly hope that US embassys are aware of this when they give out the visas :)

Timeline

tourist visas are not meant to be used for providing child care, even for a relative. Nor are they designed to allow people to live and work in the US of A. Tourist visas are for....tourism. Period. Few people outside the US are legitimate 'tourists' for 6 months to a year...few people have the resources of Bill Gates which would allow them to remain in a foreign country for an extended period of time without resorting to unauthorized employment....I will go out on a limb (a short one) and suggest your relatives are not in his financial category.

Hire a nanny.

the limb you went on is short indeed. they happen to be very well off and own condo on the beach, where will be staying till we find a place of our own. and i think if you were a grandma or grandpa you would jump at the chance to see your grandchildren whenever you can. "providing child care" is a stretch from what i am talking about. and seeing family who live in another country is a vacation for some people so before you just assume something about someone you know nothing about, ask yourself , does everybody's life suck as much as mine?

p.s. wou have no concept of money some people work hard and save well which allow them to do the things they really love and none of these people are anywhere near bill gates's wealth or own a fortune 500 company

hire a life coach.

the limb you went on is short indeed. they happen to be very well off and own condo on the beach, where will be staying till we find a place of our own. and i think if you were a grandma or grandpa you would jump at the chance to see your grandchildren whenever you can. "providing child care" is a stretch from what i am talking about. and seeing family who live in another country is a vacation for some people so before you just assume something about someone you know nothing about, ask yourself , does everybody's life suck as much as mine?

p.s. wou have no concept of money some people work hard and save well which allow them to do the things they really love and none of these people are anywhere near bill gates's wealth or own a fortune 500 company

hire a life coach.

You mentioned child care first, in spite of your 'vast wealth'...here's $5....buy a clue. Your parents do not have the resources to goof off for six months in ths country....without working....it would easily cost many thousands of dollars....and if they were really as well off as you claim, you would not be asking the question about their 'need' to camp out in my country changing diapers for several months to a year.

Timeline

You mentioned child care first, in spite of your 'vast wealth'...here's $5....buy a clue. Your parents do not have the resources to goof off for six months in ths country....without working....it would easily cost many thousands of dollars....and if they were really as well off as you claim, you would not be asking the question about their 'need' to camp out in my country changing diapers for several months to a year.

they own a company they dont have to work and thousands of dollars to some people is not alot of money. not everybody is in recession keep your 5 bucks.If you knew anything about family or better yet an Italian family you would understand why they want to stay to change diapers. keep your 5 bucks. dont bother replying unless you want to keep entertaining me with your vast knowledge. :bonk:

******Moving to ignorance is bliss******

Yet in spite of your claimed available largesse, you want to save a few dollars by having them babysit so you have to go to work???? Hmmm...what ..they are not enamoured with your business skills to have you work for or with them? Says a lot (mostly a little) about you.

BTW, let's test your 'vast knowledge' about our immigration law...why don't you read the INA (or have someone read it to you, since it contains several big words) and find that part that waives the requirements of a tourist visa for any Italian business owner, allowing them to do as they please as 'tourists' in the US of A? shouldn't take but a moment....good luck.

Timeline

Well finally you come around. No one said i was trying to save money. I guess its easier just to listen to yourself talk but anyway Thanks for the helpful information noah. It just takes a little push and pull out of you. Now i know why your a senior member : )

Edited by blackflash

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one member thread banned for badgering the op and hijacking the thread with drama.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Timeline

Black flesh . . .

the first thing I noticed that you were asking about an extension of your family members' tourist visas, when, as it turns out, they don't have tourists visas. So the whole back and forth of figuring out who has more money and who can afford what is pretty moot.

If your family members desire, they can apply for B2 visas at the nearest U.S. consulate, and in that case they can indeed apply for an extension of stay via USCIS form I-571 for another 6 months, which would give them up to 1 year of authorized stay in the U.S.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.