TRKCKL11

favorite things you'll miss from canada

229 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Some things I took a strong liking to in Canada and now miss in the states. Pilsners, Coffee Crips (it makes a nice light snack), all the Cadbury chocolates.

BTW, I've had pineapple pop in the states. I think it was Safeway brand.

FRESH ONTARIO APPLES!!!...but we did get one batch of Ontario apples at the local WalMart here in NW Ohio ...but they didn't last long...Seems like there just isn't enough fresh fruit to go around...I miss all the roadside markets in Ontario...They are few and far between here.

Oh!!!! and government sponsored health insurance!!! All those Canucks whining back home about wait times ought to come and get a taste of private health insurance here in the U.S......It's enough to put you out of house and home. :(

John~~~Ontario, Canada*********Ruth~~~Ohio, U.S.A

The never-ending story of the visajourney of this Canadian/American couple can be found by clicking HERE

AOS was officially approved via email notice from USCIS on August 10th/2005, 622 days from the filing of the I-130 in Nebraska on November 26/2003, the very first day that we started our immigration journey.

Received 10 year green card on August 15/2005.

Our thanks to the creators of visajourney and all those here who helped us along the way..May God bless you and strengthen you on your visajourney....and now life goes on.

(Jeremiah 29:11-13)" For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I already had to get over my missing things when I moved from Montreal to Vancouver. I have been missing decent poutine and bagels and smoked meat and pizza and roast chicken for 11 years, so no adjustment to make moving to the USA!

However, Vancouver does have a decent Jewish bakery, so though the bagels aren't quite to Montreal standards, they are still a fix. And the rest of the baked goods are good. So this is going to be my number one thing... the lack of a jewish bakery. That is going to kill me.

As for the shoe thing, I also find it weird that people walk in with their boots and sneakers on, but I am not as big on the removing shoes thing as most Canadians. In fact, I complain about it a lot here! Especially if I have dressed up for a party or dinner... I hate being asked to remove my heels and walk around in stocking feet. Sorry, you should never expect that of a guest! A wipe yes, but not all outfits are ok without shoes. Also, sometimes it is too cold to take your shoes off!

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ooo - I am in heaven right now! A VJ friend who travelled back to Canada recently for a visit picked me up a can of Tim Horton's coffee at my request. Well, it arrived in the mail today and I just had my first Timmie's in 2 1/2 years. Yum:-). Even the smell is nicer than the typical American coffee which smells bitter beside it. Ok - going to go and have another cup!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a can of Tims and it doesnt tatse the same at all. I have fooled around with amt of grinds to use, just doesnt come close. I think it has something to do with the cream.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its hard to make it the same.

1: You need to use a lot of it, like 1 1/2 tbsp per cup

2: Water can not be boiling. 180 - 190 deg max

3: Make it strong drip is ok but pour water slowly.

4: Use 18% cream.

I have made it sort of close but not exactly the same. I think to make it exact you need to get an old lady in a brown dress to make it.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Timeline
Its hard to make it the same.

1: You need to use a lot of it, like 1 1/2 tbsp per cup

2: Water can not be boiling. 180 - 190 deg max

3: Make it strong drip is ok but pour water slowly.

4: Use 18% cream.

I have made it sort of close but not exactly the same. I think to make it exact you need to get an old lady in a brown dress to make it.

Hehehe, well I did make it a little stronger and I always use real cream and our coffee pot doesn't boil it - so it sure tasted pretty close to me - enough that I was able to sit back and sigh "ah, Timmies!". Thanks for the formula - now I know I will get it right all the time:-).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline
I already had to get over my missing things when I moved from Montreal to Vancouver. I have been missing decent poutine and bagels and smoked meat and pizza and roast chicken for 11 years, so no adjustment to make moving to the USA!

However, Vancouver does have a decent Jewish bakery, so though the bagels aren't quite to Montreal standards, they are still a fix. And the rest of the baked goods are good. So this is going to be my number one thing... the lack of a jewish bakery. That is going to kill me.

As for the shoe thing, I also find it weird that people walk in with their boots and sneakers on, but I am not as big on the removing shoes thing as most Canadians. In fact, I complain about it a lot here! Especially if I have dressed up for a party or dinner... I hate being asked to remove my heels and walk around in stocking feet. Sorry, you should never expect that of a guest! A wipe yes, but not all outfits are ok without shoes. Also, sometimes it is too cold to take your shoes off!

Any special places in Montreal that make good bagels? I'll be going back for the IR1 interview sometime soon. Did find a place last time... but when I came back home, found out half the bag of sesame bagels were burnt! :crying:

The smoked meat and pizza and roast chicken recommendations would also be appreciated. :D Have a husband crazy over pizza.. and a mother crazy over roast chicken. Would make a nice present from returning from Montreal. :yes:

Filed: Other Timeline

except you can't take meat or cheese across the border. If they find it, they'll confiscate it.

They might allow the bagels tho.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

They will also take fruit from you if they find it.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

except you can't take meat or cheese across the border. If they find it, they'll confiscate it.

Um, last I checked it was OK to take i-w slices or wrapped blocks across the border.

Would they also stop you from taking a thermocol-and-shrink-wrap package of meat across too?

They might allow the bagels tho.
They will also take fruit from you if they find it.

Which the officers at PFI's rarely do, even if they're carried brazenly in shopping bags.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

this is making me hungry lol, no decent soy sauce i can't live without my china lily

wedding 2006-06-03

i130

2006-06-24.......mailed

06-07-18.......noa1

09-19.......touched[li

09-20.......rfe sent

09-25.......rfe mailed back

10-02.......rfe email received uscis

10-03.......touched

12-12.......APPROVED

i129f

06-08-21......mailed

06-08-29.....noa1

06-09-02....touched

06-09-09....touched

06-10-20...touched ...sent to csc

06-10-27...touched

06-11-15...APPROVED 07-03-08 interview and visa approved

1. EAD.... sent may 13
  2. biometrics.....june 13
  3. ead transfer to csc.....july 13

4. EAD card in production

Timeline
this is making me hungry lol, no decent soy sauce i can't live without my china lily

I agree. My cousin in Montreal has it sent to him from Sask.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Timeline
Any special places in Montreal that make good bagels? I'll be going back for the IR1 interview sometime soon. Did find a place last time... but when I came back home, found out half the bag of sesame bagels were burnt! :crying:

The smoked meat and pizza and roast chicken recommendations would also be appreciated. :D Have a husband crazy over pizza.. and a mother crazy over roast chicken. Would make a nice present from returning from Montreal. :yes:

The bagel places in Outremont off Park Ave are the well known bagel places, and they have opened up chains in diiferen tareas of the city. Real bagel makes good ones too. Last time I was in Montreal, you could buy hot bagels at the airport!

I liked Chalet BBQ for chicken and fries and gravy, I think it is on Cote St Luc Rod? I can't remember! I always went the home delivery route... For smoked meat, the place people line up at is on St. Laurent Ave., and it is called Schwartz's. It is tiny and you have to share tables. But The Main serves up just as great a smoked meat sandwich (same street) and no line. You can also get it downtown at places like Ben's and ... I forget. Maybe a current Montreal should step in with recommendations since my brain clearly can't retain the right info!

This has made me very hungry.

Edited by hockeygal

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.