14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello,

Me and my fiance been planning to move to the states for the last 6 months now. (he is an US citizen)

We been living together in the UK for over 2 years and he just moved back to the states to get a job before we apply for a K1 visa.

We try to do this as cheap as we can without any agency's or lawyers.

I found this site today and I got surprised when I was reading about the DCF. So what I understand it's faster and cheaper then a fiance visa.

Is it too late now? When he been moving back from the UK even if he has a permanent residents visa there? He been back in the states for just over 1 month.

Does anyone have any idea how we can do this as quick and cheap as possible when we don't want to be separated for too long.

Thank You!!

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello,

Me and my fiance been planning to move to the states for the last 6 months now. (he is an US citizen)

We been living together in the UK for over 2 years and he just moved back to the states to get a job before we apply for a K1 visa.

We try to do this as cheap as we can without any agency's or lawyers.

I found this site today and I got surprised when I was reading about the DCF. So what I understand it's faster and cheaper then a fiance visa.

Is it too late now? When he been moving back from the UK even if he has a permanent residents visa there? He been back in the states for just over 1 month.

Does anyone have any idea how we can do this as quick and cheap as possible when we don't want to be separated for too long.

Thank You!!

hello. DCF is faster and cheaperit took me 73 days from application to interview date. as long as he is a rsident you dont have to wait 6 months in somee cases to become a resident in the country you are doing DCF. make sure the UK has a uscis office and does DCF. AND YOU SHOULD GET MARRIED ASAP !its a smooth and easy process and you guys can stay together in the UK the whole time. i had no clue about immgtation proceddings and now i feel like an expert ( although i am not and have alot to learn). so as long as he is a resident and you have uscis office tell him to get over there and you guys can send the I-130 and 2 ( one for each of you) G325A forms. there is a good DCF guide on this site. the type of visa you will get is CR-1 ( conditional rsdent)

p.s. i see you are from sweden, the only thing later on down the road you will need 2 police certificates from your country provinfg you have no criminal record so start reasearching on the names of thoes documents by callin the town hall or police station or court house in your home town

Edited by blackflash

Timeline

Thank you,

I checked and London does the DCF.

Do you know how long it takes from the day you have an interview until you can enter the states?

So it doesn't matter how long we been married before we file?

And how much does it cost in total?

It's so many questions and so hard to find any simple answers.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can do dcf for k-1 unless you're planning to get married and then do DCF

Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can do dcf for k-1 unless you're planning to get married and then do DCF

yeah I understood that, we haven't filed for any visa yet because we don't know witch one is the best for us yet. If it's faster to do a DCF after we get married or if we should go for K1?! and get married in the states.

Timeline

yeah I understood that, we haven't filed for any visa yet because we don't know witch one is the best for us yet. If it's faster to do a DCF after we get married or if we should go for K1?! and get married in the states.

getting married will be easier but make sure you have evidecnce of your past togeht er pictures and tickets and what not. yuo can actullay leave the same deay you finish your interview. they stamp your passport that very day!! its as good as your green card wich you will get in about 4 weeks at your u.s. adress. they give you a envelope that they tell you not to open that has all you visa info and you give it to the security checkin guy at the airport when you land in the u.s but its a good idea to get married im not sure its agood idea to get married in the u.s. if you are on a temporary visa but better if you do it where you are a resident. so what ever applies to. but on the other hand i think as long as you go back to start the process after the marraige it shouldnt matter

Timeline

getting married will be easier but make sure you have evidecnce of your past togeht er pictures and tickets and what not. yuo can actullay leave the same deay you finish your interview. they stamp your passport that very day!! its as good as your green card wich you will get in about 4 weeks at your u.s. adress. they give you a envelope that they tell you not to open that has all you visa info and you give it to the security checkin guy at the airport when you land in the u.s but its a good idea to get married im not sure its agood idea to get married in the u.s. if you are on a temporary visa but better if you do it where you are a resident. so what ever applies to. but on the other hand i think as long as you go back to start the process after the marraige it shouldnt matter

Thanks again!

Do you know if you have to prove that you been working in the country of residence the last 6 months? Or is it enough that you are permanent resident?

Read somewhere that you need a sponsor? what does that mean' do you know?

Timeline

Thanks again!

Do you know if you have to prove that you been working in the country of residence the last 6 months? Or is it enough that you are permanent resident?

Read somewhere that you need a sponsor? what does that mean' do you know?

You dont need to be working you only need to be a resident and the only thing is it has to be for 6 months. Idk if there is a way to get it done sooner since he is a permanent resident but if he was there for 6 onths before he left for a month you could get lucky and it can be viewed as just a month visit. but you can call the uscsis or email them and ask if he qualfies or if he has to wait 6 months. they normally will answer an email or call then have them confirm by email.

about the sponsor if you look at form I864-P it will show you how much your spouse must make so that he can be apporved to sponosor you. a sponsor is someone who will take finacial responsibility for you so you dont become a " caharge to the state" if niether of you have no kids then he his annual income has to be $18,387 a year. if he does not make this much you can get a co-sponsor, someone in the u.s who is a u.s citizen who can make this much to sponsor you. but if they have kids or dependants then there income must be higher. the number of persons in their household including them and you. not your husband. for instance if the cosponsor has one kid and is a single mom she will have the kid herself and you as to be "finacially responsible" for and her income will haveto be 23,162 to qualify. If you have assest like a house or cash in the bank that can be used to. let me know if you understand the I-864 can be confusing but once you know what u need its a peice of cake. and you wont have to fill this out till the last step so you have time to find a co-sponsor which sometimes its hard casue its contract saying you will take care of the immagrant until the immagrant becomes a citizen

Timeline

and it DOES matter to be married before and so far we spent 420 us dollrs to send i-130 and will spend another 400 us dollars on the visa. 10 on the passport photos and i think thats it! once you are married you might have to wait to get an officail marriage certifacate i got mine in 2 weeks and sent out my i-130 the same day beacuse i was ready. you might need stamp from the court house on the marriage certifacte to make it valid in the u.s. but i think for the uk you dont need it. its more for smaller european countries that have weird marraigae rules

the stamp is called an apostille stamp but i dont think you will need it but it will tell you on the us counlate site if you do or not. if not send an email to the uscis and see if they need it for your country now to understand properly you are a uk resident but born in sweden and filing in the uk?

Edited by blackflash

Timeline

one thing before you get started is make sure you dont need to do the DCF in Sweden or its ok to do it from the UK. thats an important question but DCF is easier and you ownt need lawyers or anyting like that this website has alot of help and alot of people that cna help you out that no more than me i just know alot about DCF becasue i jsut am at the end of the process and have my interview on the 13th of march!

Edited by blackflash

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

One thing to keep in mind: If he started work in the USA, they will be unlikely to allow DCF, because he clearly isn't resident in the UK anymore, even if his permit is still valid.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

One more thing you have to keep in mind, while cr-1 will be easier and cheaper in the long run, you have to prove a marriage, while in k-1 you have to prove a relationship. So while k-1 is more expensive, it's easier

Timeline

one thing before you get started is make sure you dont need to do the DCF in Sweden or its ok to do it from the UK. thats an important question but DCF is easier and you ownt need lawyers or anyting like that this website has alot of help and alot of people that cna help you out that no more than me i just know alot about DCF becasue i jsut am at the end of the process and have my interview on the 13th of march!

I really appreciate everything you write because it helps a lot. Even though I am a bit unsure with our case because he already started to work. But I will follow your advice we will send an email to the consulate in London.

Timeline

One thing to keep in mind: If he started work in the USA, they will be unlikely to allow DCF, because he clearly isn't resident in the UK anymore, even if his permit is still valid.

I guess you are right. But I will email them and see what we can do. He been a resident in the UK for 18 years and both of us has jobs that we travel so he been working in the states a bit this summer as well so maybe we can sort something out though all he's closest family also lives in the UK. BUt maybe that doesn't matter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.