russ

Helping my ex-wife

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Very good for her and now you can get all your stuff finish with this part of your life and move on. Good luck with everything. :thumbs::yes:

Peter Miami

You have no idea how happy I am to be moving on at this point.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have been watching this post. I had no real advice to offer beyond what was given.

I do want to say that I think it was quite honorable of you to try to help her. It shows a real commitment to integrity on your part. It is a same that your marriage didn't work out. You seem like a good person.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Timeline
I have been watching this post. I had no real advice to offer beyond what was given.

I do want to say that I think it was quite honorable of you to try to help her. It shows a real commitment to integrity on your part. It is a same that your marriage didn't work out. You seem like a good person.

Thanks. I try to be, though no one is perfect - certainly not me.

It is hard sometimes to know what the right thing to do is. She is planning to marry the same day as our divorce at the courthouse. I find this a bit distasteful. The best thing for me now is to avoid her as much as I can.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

These are not the type of people that we want to become residents of the US. Unfortunately there are millions of them here already. Many of them were born here.

At least you can sleep well tonight knowing that you are not one.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Timeline
These are not the type of people that we want to become residents of the US. Unfortunately there are millions of them here already. Many of them were born here.

Honestly, I do not believe she is doing this for a green card, it is more complicated than that. I do not believe that she has behaved this way because she wanted to hurt me.

There are positive things as well. I love her very much, and our marriage was very good, for the short time it lasted.

Oddly, I found that I am actually not that bad at learning Russian. I have just started a fairly advanced university course, and I think I will continue with it. I actually do enjoy studying it, and I am suprised how quickly I am learning now. (I've learned other languages before -- makes it a little easier). I never thought of myself as having an ear for language -- but after spending a long time overseas, I've found that I do enjoy this type of study (much different than my day job).

I've found this forum to be a helpful, positive environment. Getting married was difficult enough -- everyone here made it much easier. Even with unfortunate things that have happened to me, I'm glad that everyone here tends to offer thoughtful advice.

I've been trying to help out my ex-wife (within reason).

Her AOS will be denied based on an RFE for bona fide proof, medical information and divorce.

She has been engaged to someone else since about the time of her AOS interview. I found out recently, hence the divorce.

I've paid for lawyers to talk to her and answer her questions, but she seems to be in a unique case. (They think that marrying someone else can work, but might not be easy. She may also need to leave the country to do it).

As I understand it, she can re-marry and file and I130 and I485 from inside the US. Assuming she stays married and the I130/I485 are approved before she is deported, she would get to stay. How long does this take generally?

Does anyone here know about filing the I130 in the US? Will the previous denied AOS be a problem? If it takes her longer than a year to get married again, will she need waivers for the overstay?

just a thought but you should have filled for an annulment, that way she wouldnt have to wait for the extra months for the divorce to take full effect.

if the interview has not taken place yet., both of you should request to withdraw the petition, and she should leave., get married and come back again., it will be a lot easier.,

the other route, which is not recomended.. is stay in the us and wait to be able to reapply with her hubby.,

Honestly, I do not believe she is doing this for a green card, it is more complicated than that. I do not believe that she has behaved this way because she wanted to hurt me.

There are positive things as well. I love her very much, and our marriage was very good, for the short time it lasted.

Oddly, I found that I am actually not that bad at learning Russian. I have just started a fairly advanced university course, and I think I will continue with it. I actually do enjoy studying it, and I am suprised how quickly I am learning now. (I've learned other languages before -- makes it a little easier). I never thought of myself as having an ear for language -- but after spending a long time overseas, I've found that I do enjoy this type of study (much different than my day job).

I've found this forum to be a helpful, positive environment. Getting married was difficult enough -- everyone here made it much easier. Even with unfortunate things that have happened to me, I'm glad that everyone here tends to offer thoughtful advice.

what status did she come into the us?

6/21/2006 - sent i130.i485,i131,i765,biometrics, sponsor

6/23/2006 - recieved by MSC

6/27/2006 - notice date on NOA

7/26/2006 - fingerprinting

recieived notice for interview... duno when

9/2/2006 - all apps touched

9/13/2006 - interview. waiting for bkground, no approve.deny case will be reviewed as my case in more complicated., i1131, i485 sepereated from file, claimed that they will be sent for processing

9/22/2006 - called national customer support., been 90 days, no interim ead (i knew i wldnt have it yet) was told to go to santa ana

9/26/2006 - office claims file is floating around somewhere in the mail room, they will find my work permit app and travel doc app and send it for processing

9/26/2006 - drive to LA to double check what they said, office at LA claims that santa ana sent work p, travel to NBC

9/27/2006 - EAD, Travel docs touched

9/28/2006 - EAD, Travel docs tocuhed

9/29/2006 - :( nothing touched, no letters no emails :(:( ---- waiting., will send letter to congressman monday

10/2/2006 - Travel Docs Touched, nothing new on EAD....Wife sent letter to congressman

10/2/2006 - Got Travel Doc in the mail

10/2/2006 9:30 PM PST, 5 email ead approved, will mail me new card

10/6/2006 10:30 AM PST, got 3 emails saying that they have mailed out an approval letter for my EAD... hmmm wheres the damn EAD,

10/7/2006 - Got EAD with a TYPO in a#!!!! in the mail

Timeline

K-1. AOS Interview was not successful. She didn't follow up on anything that they asked for (kind of wrapped up in her affair at this point).

K-1. AOS Interview was not successful. She didn't follow up on anything that they asked for (kind of wrapped up in her affair at this point).

well, the best bet is to withdraw before she gets a "denied" on her record, a withdrawn is far better than a "Denied".... once she withdraws, they will proceede to put her up for removal proceedings, a clean way to get out of the mess for her would be to send a letter stating that she wants to withdraw, and that she will be leaving the us, give a ticket #, and date of departure, if she is going to go that route...

the other option is far more illegal, and if she gets caught she will end up in removal proceedings., im not sure which state she is in, but each state has its "divorce" requirements., i think NV has the shortest ones, however you need to be living in NV for at least a month to file for a divorce in NV., a divoce in NV is finalized in 6 weeks., but you said you already started the divorce....

the aim of the game is to now stay out of sight till she is eligible to remarry and refile...

6/21/2006 - sent i130.i485,i131,i765,biometrics, sponsor

6/23/2006 - recieved by MSC

6/27/2006 - notice date on NOA

7/26/2006 - fingerprinting

recieived notice for interview... duno when

9/2/2006 - all apps touched

9/13/2006 - interview. waiting for bkground, no approve.deny case will be reviewed as my case in more complicated., i1131, i485 sepereated from file, claimed that they will be sent for processing

9/22/2006 - called national customer support., been 90 days, no interim ead (i knew i wldnt have it yet) was told to go to santa ana

9/26/2006 - office claims file is floating around somewhere in the mail room, they will find my work permit app and travel doc app and send it for processing

9/26/2006 - drive to LA to double check what they said, office at LA claims that santa ana sent work p, travel to NBC

9/27/2006 - EAD, Travel docs touched

9/28/2006 - EAD, Travel docs tocuhed

9/29/2006 - :( nothing touched, no letters no emails :(:( ---- waiting., will send letter to congressman monday

10/2/2006 - Travel Docs Touched, nothing new on EAD....Wife sent letter to congressman

10/2/2006 - Got Travel Doc in the mail

10/2/2006 9:30 PM PST, 5 email ead approved, will mail me new card

10/6/2006 10:30 AM PST, got 3 emails saying that they have mailed out an approval letter for my EAD... hmmm wheres the damn EAD,

10/7/2006 - Got EAD with a TYPO in a#!!!! in the mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

SHE MADE HER BED NOW SHE CAN LAY IN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your opinion, but I was looking for information that pertains to helping her situation.

As you can imagine, not many people think very highly of her right now. Pointing out her mistakes isn't going to do much to help her.

russ, you're a bigger person than most and i respect that. not too many people would step up and do what you're doing. i wish you all the best of luck with your situation.

I-485 AOS Filing (shortened timeline):

08/25/06 - WEDDING DAY <3

09/14/06 - Medical

09/18/06 - Mailed AOS

10/04/06 - RFE request I-485

10/11/06 - RFE response rec'd by USCIS

10/12/06 - BIOMETRICS done!

11/18/06 - Interview Notice in mail (Day 60)

12/26/06 - *TOUCH* I-765, EAD approval notice sent (Day 98)

12/29/06 - Received EAD, applied for SSN (Day 101)

01/03/07 - *TOUCH* I-130, I-485, I-765 received EAD (Day 106)

01/10/07 - INTERVIEW 9:45am Baltimore! Recommended for approval (Day 113)

05/08/07 - APPROVAL NOTICE & WELCOME TO USA LETTER SENT! (Day 231)

05/14/07 - Received I-130 approval & welcome letter (Day 237)

05/15/07 - Green card ordered (Day 238)

I-751 Filing:

02/06/09 - Mailed I-751! (Day 1)

02/09/09 - I-751 Delivered to Vermont (Day 4)

02/13/09 - NOA 1 (Day 8)

03/06/09 - BIOMETRICS (Day 29)

03/09/09 - *TOUCH* (Day 32)

06/26/09 - 10 year green card APPROVED! (Day 141)

Timeline
well, the best bet is to withdraw before she gets a "denied" on her record, a withdrawn is far better than a "Denied".... once she withdraws, they will proceede to put her up for removal proceedings, a clean way to get out of the mess for her would be to send a letter stating that she wants to withdraw, and that she will be leaving the us, give a ticket #, and date of departure, if she is going to go that route...

the other option is far more illegal, and if she gets caught she will end up in removal proceedings., im not sure which state she is in, but each state has its "divorce" requirements., i think NV has the shortest ones, however you need to be living in NV for at least a month to file for a divorce in NV., a divoce in NV is finalized in 6 weeks., but you said you already started the divorce....

the aim of the game is to now stay out of sight till she is eligible to remarry and refile...

I'll pass that advice along through my lawyer, should she choose to do that. I've already had several lawyers look at her case, K-3 visa will be the most likely thing to work.

Florida has a 20 day waiting period for divorce, which isn't bad. She has already sworn an affidavit admitting to the facts of the divorce suit with the clerks office here, so I can't forsee any way of it not going through on the 19th next week.

She did let me know she is planning to get married the same day of the divorce at the same courthouse. I did find this a bit distasteful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'll pass that advice along through my lawyer, should she choose to do that. I've already had several lawyers look at her case, K-3 visa will be the most likely thing to work.

Florida has a 20 day waiting period for divorce, which isn't bad. She has already sworn an affidavit admitting to the facts of the divorce suit with the clerks office here, so I can't forsee any way of it not going through on the 19th next week.

She did let me know she is planning to get married the same day of the divorce at the same courthouse. I did find this a bit distasteful.

Now might be a good time to remove the photo....

K1 Timeline:

12-22-05 I-129F mailed to CSC

12-27-05 USCIS receives I-129f

01-03-06 NOA1 by mail

03-14-06 NOA2 Case Approved

03-21-06 NVC sent case to BKK

03-27-06 BKK Embassy email "no record of my case"

03-27-06 NVC approval letter rcvd

03-30-06 BKK Embassy confirms case by email

03-31-06 Fiancee Medical passed

04-07-06 Packet 3 rcvd

04-20-06 Packet 4 rcvd

05-26-06 Interview 730am VISA APPROVED!!!

05-30-06 Pick up Visa 3pm

06-16-06 Arrived in USA POE LAX

07-05-06 Applied for SS Card

08-18-06 Married

AOS Timeline:

10-13-06 Mailed AOS packet

10-16-06 AOS rcvd CHI lockbox

10-25-06 AOS Touched

11-04-06 Biometrics Appt

01-09-07 AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

01-10-07 email Welcome letter sent

01-09-07 email AP approved

01-12-07 email EAD approved

01-16-07 Welcome letter rcvd in the mail

01-18-07 EAD card rcvd in the mail

01-23-07 AP approval rcvd in mail

02-05-07 GreenCard in mail

03-07-07 Vacation in Thailand

03-15-07 Traditional Thai wedding

Timeline
Now might be a good time to remove the photo....

Picture is gone - thanks.

Filed: Timeline
I'm trying to help my ex-wife out.

...engaged to someone else, hence the divorce.

She has been engaged to someone else since about the time of her AOS interview.

She did let me know she is planning to get married the same day of the divorce at the same courthouse.

She doesn't really know him.

Honestly, I do not believe she is doing this for a green card.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

let the new boy friend worry about her immigration status.

a K1 cannot adjust status based upon marriage to anyone except the original petitioner. I know of no exceptions,and is part of the law to prevent marriage fraud.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.