Daniel_B

Affidavit of Support - submitting tax returns, lived abroad

10 posts in this topic

Hi Visajourney-ers,

So I'm at the stage when I need to submit my AOS documents. Basically, I'm a US citizen but have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (I recently moved back this last August). Last summer, I filed my US tax returns at the London Consulate. This was 5 years worth of Form 1040 and 5 years worth of Form 2555-EZ (this is the form for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion). I asked the consulate to return these forms to me with a stamp saying 'received'.

I'm confused as to what IRS documents I need to submit with my AOS (if this is helpful, I have a cosponsor who is providing most of the income requirements). The info on the visa journey guides say I need to have "Federal Tax Return, W2 and 1099INT" but I have no ideas what these are. The first tax documents I have ever submitted were the ones I just listed so I am unfamliar with what is required. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks so much

Daniel

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline

Sorry can't help with that mate we are going through the same process. My wife live in England for 12 years and never filed a tax return. I'm hoping there isn't some massive fine to pay. Did you have any trouble over not filing for so long?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I can't offer any help with this either as I am also in the same position. My dad has been filing my taxes for me from home while I've been living and working in the UK over the past 5 years, but we never included my foreign income as we never thought it would be an issue. I have my dad on the case trying to see what he can dig up (he's retired and loves spending his time reading info on the IRS website :)...) and I'll let you know if he/we find out anything! Keep in touch if you guys come across anything as well.

Cheers, Hilary

09/17/11: Wedding in Vermont

03/14/12: Sent I-130 application from Scotland

USCIS:

03/23/12: Recieved NOA1 email

04/02/12: Received NOA2!! (USC living abroad)

NVC:

04/20/12: NVC received case

05/03/12: Received case number

05/08/12: Emailed DS-3032

05/09/12: AOS invoice paid

05/15/12: IV invoice paid

06/07/12: AOS & IV packages sent to NVC

06/18/12: Received checklist! Boo...

06/20/12: Sent checklist response to NVC (they received it on 06/22)

07/02/12: CASE COMPLETE! Yee haw!

07/12/12: Received interview date

09/24/12: Interview (We changed the orginal date due to scheduling conflict)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi Visajourney-ers,

So I'm at the stage when I need to submit my AOS documents. Basically, I'm a US citizen but have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (I recently moved back this last August). Last summer, I filed my US tax returns at the London Consulate. This was 5 years worth of Form 1040 and 5 years worth of Form 2555-EZ (this is the form for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion). I asked the consulate to return these forms to me with a stamp saying 'received'.

I'm confused as to what IRS documents I need to submit with my AOS (if this is helpful, I have a cosponsor who is providing most of the income requirements). The info on the visa journey guides say I need to have "Federal Tax Return, W2 and 1099INT" but I have no ideas what these are. The first tax documents I have ever submitted were the ones I just listed so I am unfamliar with what is required. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks so much

Daniel

No one here knows your financial situation, so no one can tell you what documents will make up your complete tax returns.

You can submit tax transcripts in lieu of all the forms that make up your complete tax returns. The tax transcripts are free, and you should receive them within 2 weeks after submitting your request. Contact the IRS for tax transcripts - Google "IRS free tax transcripts."

Hi Visajourney-ers,

Thanks so much

Daniel

Best thing to do is become of British Citizenship,you have to file with IRS soon as or they will hit you heavy,because if you end up working in UK,you have to pay taxes in UK AND USA. When you are of UK citizen,you then file to the IRS proof you won't pay taxes in a country you reside in.They are just being greedy.

Currently somewhere in USA now.

Timeline

Sorry can't help with that mate we are going through the same process. My wife live in England for 12 years and never filed a tax return. I'm hoping there isn't some massive fine to pay. Did you have any trouble over not filing for so long?

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I can't offer any help with this either as I am also in the same position. My dad has been filing my taxes for me from home while I've been living and working in the UK over the past 5 years, but we never included my foreign income as we never thought it would be an issue. I have my dad on the case trying to see what he can dig up (he's retired and loves spending his time reading info on the IRS website :)...) and I'll let you know if he/we find out anything! Keep in touch if you guys come across anything as well.

Cheers, Hilary

US citizens and legal permanent residents are taxed on their worldwide income. Even if they don't have any US income, they are required to report and pay taxes on their earnings outside the US. As Hillary has noted, they can also take advantage of the Foreign Income Tax Credit (FITC). The FITC usually eliminates any US tax liability if the tax payer has income less than $90,000.

Rose will need to file her missing US tax returns. If her income was less than $90,000 for those years, she probably does not owe any US taxes. There will not be any IRS penalties if she did not owe any US taxes. If she does owe US taxes, she will have to pay penalties and interests for the failure to timely report and pay her taxes. On the immigration side, USCIS is only looking to see that the US citizen meets the I-864 requirements to file taxes or have a legal excuse to why the US citizen was not required to file. USCIS does not care about late filings or owed taxes.

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. I did file backdated tax returns last year, and I can concur that there is an approx. $90,000 amount of foreign earned income before you need to start giving money to the IRS. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on which way you look at it), I earn under that amount and it was fine. I'm just hoping that they accept this for the AOS.

Timeline

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. I did file backdated tax returns last year, and I can concur that there is an approx. $90,000 amount of foreign earned income before you need to start giving money to the IRS. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on which way you look at it), I earn under that amount and it was fine. I'm just hoping that they accept this for the AOS.

You'll be fine. USCIS only cares that you comply with US laws on filing tax returns - it's one of the I-864 requirements if you are required to file tax returns. USCIS does not care if the returns are late. You have complied with the reporting laws so you have nothing to worry about there.

Since you are using a Joint Sponsor or Household Member to fulfill the 125% poverty line requirement, your income is irrelevant. USCIS will probably look just to see that you have file and nothing more.

US citizens and legal permanent residents are taxed on their worldwide income. Even if they don't have any US income, they are required to report and pay taxes on their earnings outside the US. As Hillary has noted, they can also take advantage of the Foreign Income Tax Credit (FITC). The FITC usually eliminates any US tax liability if the tax payer has income less than $90,000.

It is the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion which (for 2011) allows a US citizen or resident alien to exclude up to $92,900 of earned (employment) income from US taxes. If the taxpayer has foreign income beyond that amount, it may be possible to use the Foreign Tax Credit to offset further tax liability. So even if someone had income of, say, $200,000, it is still quite possible (and very likely in a place like the UK) that someone would still not have to pay any additional US income taxes on that income.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

No one here knows your financial situation, so no one can tell you what documents will make up your complete tax returns.

You can submit tax transcripts in lieu of all the forms that make up your complete tax returns. The tax transcripts are free, and you should receive them within 2 weeks after submitting your request. Contact the IRS for tax transcripts - Google "IRS free tax transcripts."

I have the tax transcripts from IRS. My question is, can I send a photocopy of those transcripts? Or do I need to send out the originals?

Thanks!

07/18/2011 - mailed out I-130

07/20/2011 - I-30 NOA1

02/08/2012 - I-30 NOA2

02/16/2012 - Received case number, IIN from operator.

02/21/2012 - AOS bill invoiced and paid. Emailed DS-3032.

02/23/2012 - NVC accepted DS-3032 email.

02/24/2012 - IV bill invoiced and paid.

02/27/2012 - AOS Package FedEx-ed to NVC.

02/28/2012 - AOS package received by NVC.

03/21/2012 - DS-230 Package FedEx-ed to NVC.

03/22/2012 - DS-230 Package received by NVC.

03/27/2012 - Checklist (Birth Certificate)

04/10/2012 - Documents requested in Checklist FedEx-ed to NVC.

04/11/2012 - Documents requested in Checklist received by NVC

04/13/2012 - CASE COMPLETED. Waiting for interview to be scheduled.

05/01/2012 - Interview date assigned. Packet IV received

06/25/2012 - Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.