w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Outcry as clergy say calling God 'He' or 'Lord' encourages wife-beating

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Church of England leaders warned yesterday that calling God 'He' encourages men to beat their wives.

[...]

In new guidelines for bishops and priests on such abuse, they blamed "uncritical use of masculine imagery" for encouraging men to behave violently towards women.

They also warned that clergy must reconsider the language they use in sermons and check the hymns they sing to remove signs of male oppression.

The recommendation ... throws doubt on whether the principal Christian prayer should continue to be known as the Lord's Prayer and begin 'Our Father'.

[...]

The document prompted an outcry from conservative clergy.

[...]

"The Bible says God has both female and male characteristics but it does not feel inhibited about referring to God as male." Simon Calvert of the evangelical Christian Institute think tank, said: "They appear to suggest seriously that we should ditch many centuries of Judaeo-Christian teaching because of some half-baked feminist theory."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Riiiiight. Men beat their wives because God is a man. :wacko:

I know... kinda stretching it there I think. Personaly I think the "Rule of Thumb" actually encourages men to beat their wives... have they taken that off the books yet..?

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

That is one of the strangest things I've heard... :blink:

And the entire Church of England removing all reference to God as He, Father, Lord in their songs/sermons? Why don't they just make up their own new religion that fits into everything they think is ideal. Oh wait, I guess they are already doing that. :P

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

And the entire Church of England removing all reference to God as He, Father, Lord in their songs/sermons? Why don't they just make up their own new religion that fits into everything they think is ideal. Oh wait, I guess they are already doing that. :P

Church of England has been doing that right since the time of Crazy Henry--it was formed by him because the then Pope wouldn't allow him to divorce (then they have a regulation that the right to be sovereign is forfeited by marrying a divorced person?). :P :P

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Church of England has been doing that right since the time of Crazy Henry--it was formed by him because the then Pope wouldn't allow him to divorce (then they have a regulation that the right to be sovereign is forfeited by marrying a divorced person?). :P :P

true! :yes:

Men only beat their wives because they are Bastards.... not because god is refered to as male...

What a load of crapp...

Kezzie

To reiterate: Church of England has been full of that since Crazy Henry's time.

This is why many leave its equivalent CSI (Church of South India) for LEF and Bakht Singh group.

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

Men only beat their wives because they are Bastards.... not because god is refered to as male...

What a load of crapp...

Kezzie

i agree..left out small ####### chopf##ks too

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Timeline

I know... kinda stretching it there I think. Personaly I think the "Rule of Thumb" actually encourages men to beat their wives... have they taken that off the books yet..?

Yes. It lives on in internet lore, though. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Yes. It lives on in internet lore, though. :lol:

rhetoric.

but yes, many things live on in internet lore... that is why snopes is so much fun :yes:

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

I don't know, since the Lords prayer starts out "Our Father" that kind of gives me the idea that God is masculine. To deny that would be calling Jesus wrong.

Timeline
I don't know, since the Lords prayer starts out "Our Father" that kind of gives me the idea that God is masculine. To deny that would be calling Jesus wrong.

They will probably change it to "Our parental unit, who art in Heaven..."

They will probably change it to "Our parental unit, who art in Heaven..."

One PERversion of scripture which will never be on OUR shelves (I personally prefer KJV or NKJV, though we do have one NIV at home as well).

Edited by CherryXS