StephanieM

taxes - filing single vs filing married

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You are married and therefore have to file as married. To file as single is wrong. You have to file as either married filing jointly and will need a SSN or ITIN for your husband. The other option is married filing separately and for this one you do not need any info from your husband. If he is not even in the US yet I would say you pretty much have to file married filing separately.

If you do not believe anyone here and need proof go to the irs.gov website and search this phrase 'What is My Filing Status?', chose the first result it gives. This is a tool by the IRS for you to determine your filing status. It will ask you some questions and at the end tell you what status you should use to file.

Edited by SunnySanDiego

You are married and therefore have to file as married. To file as single is wrong. You have to file as either married filing jointly and will need a SSN or ITIN for your husband. The other option is married filing separately and for this one you do not need any info from your husband. If he is not even in the US yet I would say you pretty much have to file married filing separately.

If you do not believe anyone here and need proof go to the irs.gov website and search this phrase 'What is My Filing Status?', chose the first result it gives. This is a tool by the IRS for you to determine your filing status. It will ask you some questions and at the end tell you what status you should use to file.

Thanks, I did the tool and it says I should file married/separate. I guess the next step is to find out how this will affect certain things like my scholarship etc. :angry:

Ahh but something else I just thought about, is it true I would have to have been married for 6 months of the year to file married. I was married in 08/11 which is only 4 months of 2011. :devil:

Edited by francis y steph

01/01/2008 - Met
04/27/2010 - Engaged
08/23/2011 - Married
USCIS
10/03/2011 - I-130 Sent (USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/05/2011 - Package arrived at chicago lockbox
10/06/2011 - NOA1
11/09/2011 - NOA2 (no RFE's)
NVC
11/14/2011 - Petition received by NVC/ Received NOA2 by mail
11/21/2011 - NVC case # received by email/ Got AOS fee by email/ Called NVC to provide beneficiary email
11/27/2011 - Choice of agent (DS-3023) sent to NVC by email
.....took a break from process to delay interview....
01/26/2012 - Payed IV fee
01/27/2012 - IV fee status shown as PAID
02/07/2012 - Payed AOS fee
02/08/2012 - AOS fee status shown as PAID
02/09/ 2012 - DS-230 package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/06/2012 - AOS package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/12/2012 - Called NVC and found out about checklist. Sent revision to NVC that same day.
03/16/2012 - CASE COMPLETE!
04/11/2012 - Informed of interview via phone by DOS/ Got P4 email from NVC a few hours later that same day (May 4th)
SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE
04/19/2012 - Medical
05/04/2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
05/10/2012 - Visa ready and picked up at domex
05/15/2012 - POE in Boston (together)
U. S. A
05/29/2012 - Went to SS office to apply for SS card
06/01/2012 - Welcome letter arrived (Received about 3 of these)
06/05/2012 - Green card arrived
06/15/2012- Back to SS office with green card to reapply and inquire about delay
06/18/2012 - Picked up SSN at SSA office
06/22/2012 - SS card arrived by mail

04/24/14 - Sent I-751 to remove conditions

06/09/14 - Biometrics

11/2014 - RFE from USCIS requesting more evidence before approval

Late Jan - Sent further evidence of marriage

03/05/2015 - Got letter of approval for removal of conditions

03/15/2015 - Permanent 10 yr green card received via mail

Timeline

You are welcome. Honestly I don't think it would affect them because even though you are filing married you are not claiming your spouse as a dependent nor is he claiming you on his taxes in the US as he is not even filing right?. You are merely telling them that you are married. I would call the IRS if you are unsure.

Telephone Assistance for Individuals:

Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040

Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

I hope this helps.

Ahh but something else I just thought about, is it true I would have to have been married for 6 months of the year to file married. I was married in 08/11 which is only 4 months of 2011. :devil:

Nope, not sure where you read that. The issue is whether you were married on Dec. 31, 2011. If so, then you're married for the whole year.

Timeline

Thanks, I did the tool and it says I should file married/separate. I guess the next step is to find out how this will affect certain things like my scholarship etc. :angry:

No the six month rule only really comes into play when you are claiming your spouse as a dependent or they are claiming you as dependent, which ever way that would apply. The married status itself applies if you are married by Dec 31 of the tax year no matter how long. Even if it was only one day it is still considered married. Sorry :( . Like I said thought since he is not even in the US and is not claiming you as a dependent I don't think it would affect your eligibility for your scholarship because you are not being supported by him financially.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Have you already said what kind of scholarship you have? Without that information, it's hard to tell how your tax filing would or wouldn't affect a scholarship.

Have you already said what kind of scholarship you have? Without that information, it's hard to tell how your tax filing would or wouldn't affect a scholarship.

I don't recall it being need-based but I am going to email my advisor to make sure.

Thanks everyone!

01/01/2008 - Met
04/27/2010 - Engaged
08/23/2011 - Married
USCIS
10/03/2011 - I-130 Sent (USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/05/2011 - Package arrived at chicago lockbox
10/06/2011 - NOA1
11/09/2011 - NOA2 (no RFE's)
NVC
11/14/2011 - Petition received by NVC/ Received NOA2 by mail
11/21/2011 - NVC case # received by email/ Got AOS fee by email/ Called NVC to provide beneficiary email
11/27/2011 - Choice of agent (DS-3023) sent to NVC by email
.....took a break from process to delay interview....
01/26/2012 - Payed IV fee
01/27/2012 - IV fee status shown as PAID
02/07/2012 - Payed AOS fee
02/08/2012 - AOS fee status shown as PAID
02/09/ 2012 - DS-230 package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/06/2012 - AOS package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/12/2012 - Called NVC and found out about checklist. Sent revision to NVC that same day.
03/16/2012 - CASE COMPLETE!
04/11/2012 - Informed of interview via phone by DOS/ Got P4 email from NVC a few hours later that same day (May 4th)
SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE
04/19/2012 - Medical
05/04/2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
05/10/2012 - Visa ready and picked up at domex
05/15/2012 - POE in Boston (together)
U. S. A
05/29/2012 - Went to SS office to apply for SS card
06/01/2012 - Welcome letter arrived (Received about 3 of these)
06/05/2012 - Green card arrived
06/15/2012- Back to SS office with green card to reapply and inquire about delay
06/18/2012 - Picked up SSN at SSA office
06/22/2012 - SS card arrived by mail

04/24/14 - Sent I-751 to remove conditions

06/09/14 - Biometrics

11/2014 - RFE from USCIS requesting more evidence before approval

Late Jan - Sent further evidence of marriage

03/05/2015 - Got letter of approval for removal of conditions

03/15/2015 - Permanent 10 yr green card received via mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are married you cannot file single.

This is not true. I've posted about this many times. Read IRS Pub 519, page 9 "Choosing Resident Alien Status".

I filed head of household last year because my wife still did not have her green card. This choice was also given to me by my CPA.

You do have a choice though. You should calculate both ways and file whatever is advantageous for you.

I was a little concerned that filing head of household would not show my relationship with my wife but it didn't even come up at interview so I guess the consulate knows that tax filing status has no bearing on the actual marriage.

Timeline

Nope. Your filing status has nothing to do with your actual status. As read IRS Pub 519, page 9.

This keeps coming up for the couple of years that I've been on this board and still people are getting it wrong.

You may well pay less tax though by making the married election.

NOTE: What is wrong is to file as married WITHOUT making the required declaration signed by both spouses.

Timeline

Nope. Your filing status has nothing to do with your actual status. As read IRS Pub 519, page 9.

This keeps coming up for the couple of years that I've been on this board and still people are getting it wrong.

You may well pay less tax though by making the married election.

NOTE: What is wrong is to file as married WITHOUT making the required declaration signed by both spouses.

I actually called the IRS and was told if you are married you have to file as married, filing as single can be considered tax fraud. I also used the IRS's own tool on their website. I am sorry but I believe the people with whom I spoke with at the IRS and the IRS's own website.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

What do you mean by credits? I have a scholarship, and I do not want it to affect my scholarship.

If you file your taxes there are some things you can get tax credits for (this makes you pay less tax). The education credit should not affect your scholarship - it is just a tax break that you could get for any out of pocket education expense.

To anyone filing "Married Filing Joint" - be very aware that you need to report you total INTERNATIONAL income. If your spouse is making any money this need to be reflected on your tax return. You can re-claim any international taxes paid. "Married Filing Joint" almost always results in less taxes paid. So if possible - do the extra work and file this way.

2008-09-22: Mailed I-129f package.

2008-09-25: NOA1

2009-01-13: RFE

2009-02-17: NOA2

2009-02-25: NVC

2009-03-03: Package 3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I actually called the IRS and was told if you are married you have to file as married, filing as single can be considered tax fraud. I also used the IRS's own tool on their website. I am sorry but I believe the people with whom I spoke with at the IRS and the IRS's own website.

It appears the poster you responded to is confusing "Married filing separately" and "Married filing jointly". The poster is also confusing residency status and marital status.

Hope it does not end up being a problem for the poster filing single when they indeed were married on 12/31 of that 1st tax year being married. That is a clear misrepresentation of the person's marital status, not sure how big of a deal it is for the IRS, but that is one organization I do not mess around with. They have the power to put people in prison, garnish money from people's pay checks and bank accounts.

What is wrong is filing single when a person is not single, I think he means to say a person can choose between "Married filing separately" and "Married filing jointly". The spouses can also choose to treat the non-resident alien as a resident alien. Following the poster's reasoning it would make sense what he says if that were the case, he also should note that the declaration of status by both spouses is only applicable with "married filing jointly", no declaration of anything is required for "married filing separately" from what I read.

Edited by Orando

Our Visa Journey

12-10-2011: Married

01-03-2012: I-130 Mailed

01-09-2012: NOA1

05-16-2012: NOA2

06-04-2012: NVC Received

11-27-2012: NVC Case Complete

01-23-2013: Interview in Bogota (pending medical results)

02-13-2013: Visa Approved

03-20-2013: POE - Miami

Timeline

It appears the poster you responded to is confusing "Married filing separately" and "Married filing jointly". The poster is also confusing residency status and marital status.

Hope it does not end up being a problem for the poster filing single when they indeed were married on 12/31 of that 1st tax year being married. That is a clear misrepresentation of the person's marital status, not sure how big of a deal it is for the IRS, but that is one organization I do not mess around with. They have the power to put people in prison, garnish money from people's pay checks and bank accounts.

What is wrong is filing single when a person is not single, I think he means to say a person can choose between "Married filing separately" and "Married filing jointly". The spouses can also choose to treat the non-resident alien as a resident alien. Following the poster's reasoning it would make sense what he says if that were the case, he also should note that the declaration of status by both spouses is only applicable with "married filing jointly", no declaration of anything is required for "married filing separately" from what I read.

I think you may be right and they are confused. Why do people not read the original post before putting in their two cents...

Timeline

I think you may be right and they are confused. Why do people not read the original post before putting in their two cents...

You still haven't read Pub 519 have you?

Please read page 9 and then reply, not before.

If your spouse is not a resident then you only have a choice of filing single/head of household (based on your circumstance) or make the declaration and file married filing jointly. You may not under any circumstance file married filing separately unless your spouse is actually a resident (substantial presence or green card will meet this requirement)

You also have to consider the effect of a tax treaty which in general will say that you owe tax to the country with which you have the closer ties.

Please please go read the publication it's quite short.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.