Sockmonkey

OMG! Nearly turned away on visit to UK!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Why is it ok to expect to get a tough time at POE into the US but people are angry and upset when the same thing happens to an american trying to get into the UK....

Check out the UK website that tells you about visiting the UK.... it does say you need proof that you will leave the country at the end of your visit....

We took evidence of our intent to return to the US when we visited the UK just last week... and Yes we were asked to show evidence of our intent to leave.. or should I say my husbands intent to leave as I am a UK citizen....

Sorry you feel you were treated unjustly.... but people entering the US are treated like that and worse every single day....

Kezzie

This was my response as well. Whenever I travelled to the US - from Canada - I made sure I had substantial proof of my ties to Canada. I crossed at the land borders but still got grilled twice and was able to reassure them that I did indeed intend to leave after my visit. Every country is concerned about protecting their own immigration regulations - Americans are not excempt just because they are Americans.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sounds like she needs to get drunk and maybe even get laid a little.

sure does..the tight azz bitach

How come we never say that about chopfukc dudes? It's always the wimmin. Dudes are more likely to act out their lack-of-s e x frustration, aren't they?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Sounds like she needs to get drunk and maybe even get laid a little.

sure does..the tight azz bitach

And getting tighter, mind. ("Things are tightening up" :P )

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
Never had a problem. Flash the red passport... get waved through. :D

I know it doesn't justify rude actions but the brits are having just as much if not more illegal alien problems as the USA. Also, don't forget the the whole terrorist thing that just happened there....

On my way back from Ukraine, last month.. I was asked about 20 questions in Munich airport before I could check in to my flight to D.C. Crazy ### questions... never experienced that before.

When I arrived in Kiev, I saw many Ukrainians getting 5 minue of grilling at passport control, i walked up, he said thank you, stamp and I was on my way.

The world has become a crazier place lately and its affecting us all.

Timeline
Why is it ok to expect to get a tough time at POE into the US but people are angry and upset when the same thing happens to an american trying to get into the UK....

This reminds me:

U.S. Customs official: "Anything to declare?"

Avi (Dennis Farina): "Yeah. Don't go to England."

:lol:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
Heh, hearing stories like this gives me flashbacks. I was detained for 9 hours on my first visit :cry:

That's the price you pay for being gorgeous -- they didn't want to let you go :P

Timeline

This reminds me:

lol, oh man, I've had so many good .sigs from there..... hehe. One of the few movies I'll re-watch.

Gemologist: London?

Avi: Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary ###### Poppins... LONDON.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0208092/quotes

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline

Check out the UK website that tells you about visiting the UK.... it does say you need proof that you will leave the country at the end of your visit....

We took evidence of our intent to return to the US when we visited the UK just last week... and Yes we were asked to show evidence of our intent to leave.. or should I say my husbands intent to leave as I am a UK citizen....

Sorry you feel you were treated unjustly.... but people entering the US are treated like that and worse every single day....

Kezzie

:yes::thumbs:

I lived in the UK for 2 years(student visa) & travelled in & out frequently, never got a hard time...

Heh, hearing stories like this gives me flashbacks. I was detained for 9 hours on my first visit :cry:

That's the price you pay for being gorgeous -- they didn't want to let you go :P

I think this is the second time in as many days I've noticed mawilson flirting with the ladies

90day.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Kezzie

I'm not angry or upset, simply stating what I've experienced.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

This reminds me:

:lol: My husbands favourite quote when he goes through immigration.....usually cos it always results in me using some expletive at him :P .....it did take him 1.5hrs to clear immigration when we came back off holiday in July, they certainly are 'tightening up'.....

I don't think any UKC travelling to the US to visit their SO would even not consider bringing every little proof of their ties to the UK for the fear off being turned away.