john1128

Travel Time Inquiry

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

So my wife and kids are finally coming to live with me here in the US!

Its their first time and I almost forgot how it works during the travel itself.

My question is, I purchased their plane tickets from Manila to Chicago, then Chicago to Texas.

However their stopover in Chicago (port of entry) they only have 1 hour and 25 minutes before next flight.

Are they going to be able to make it on time coz dont they need to fall in line for Immigration and get their luggage back and then fall in line again to domestic flight to Texas and find their gate. Do you think 1 hour and 25 mins enough to cover all that?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My question is, I purchased their plane tickets from Manila to Chicago, then Chicago to Texas.

However their stopover in Chicago (port of entry) they only have 1 hour and 25 minutes before next flight.

Are they going to be able to make it on time coz dont they need to fall in line for Immigration and get their luggage back and then fall in line again to domestic flight to Texas and find their gate. Do you think 1 hour and 25 mins enough to cover all that?

That may be cutting it too close for a POE for your wife and children. It may work. But what is your alternative if they have some sort of delay? Here is a recent similar-themed POE thread that may give you some alternative ideas.

Good luck!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

My wifer came to visit me on two seperate occasion thru Chicago. Both had less than 2 hours and this was on a tourist visa. The first she missed the flight, but her luggagemade it. On the second, she made it and her luggage did not. After that we avoid Chicago--too busy. Fortunately we have a direct flight from Frankfurt to Denver and Denver being the final destination is great as the POE too.

I would see if you can get a much longer lay over as they not only have to process her, but the kids as well. Maybe you can find a different airport as the POE.

It always amazes me that the airlines recommend at least 2 hours before a domestic flight and now 3 hours before an international flight, yet they schedule connecting flights with less than this amount of time. Don't they read their own recommendations.:whistle: .

Dave

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know right! These airlines want you to be 2 hours before your flight yet they book you with 1h25mins. Ugggh

Now I have to start looking for a longer layover for POE I guess.

Not a good idea to consider a layover of only 1h 25m for your fiancee to clear immigration, proceed to the customs area and collect her luggage-then clear customs, then haul herself through a big & busy unfamiliar airport to check-in for the connecting flight, re-check her luggage, then deal with another TSA screening, then make her way to her gate.

Where is the time for your fiancee to get to the ladies room before or after dealing with immigration, customs, check-in, and TSA if she needs it?

She won't have time to even get confused in an unfamiliar airport then get back on track.

And with a child...and even worst consideration.

Give your family plenty of time so they won't have to stress any more than necessary. :)

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No matter how much time you have between flights, it's best to inquire from the first airline (from Manila) if their luggage will automatically be boarded in the connecting flight so that your wife doesn't have to pick up the luggage between flights. Your wife should ask the counter to indicate in her ticket that she has a connecting flight and the code for the connecting flight. This was my experience. I didn't have to worry about my luggage when I had connecting flights.

I would think it would be prudent to find another connecting flight which allows for a longer layover to give them enough time. The 1 hr and 25 minutes

is just not enough time. If you can afford it, It would be really special for them if you can meet them at the POE and you can all fly home to Texas together. Good luck!

Edited by dindo and patty

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.