acuratlsd

Manipulate Layover Time for K-1 Entry

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have to have my fiancee fly from the Philippines to North Carolina.

Going into Raleigh isn't the easy place to fly into directly so of course she will need a layover in New York which I think will be the POE.

To give her enough time for the waiting time, finger prints, and camera shot at immigration.

Is there a way to manipulate the layover time for your POE while ordering your tickets online?

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have to have my fiancee fly from the Philippines to North Carolina.

Going into Raleigh isn't the easy place to fly into directly so of course she will need a layover in New York which I think will be the POE.

To give her enough time for the waiting time, finger prints, and camera shot at immigration.

Is there a way to manipulate the layover time for your POE while ordering your tickets online?

Uh.... can you find later connecting flights??? just a thought.....???

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Uh.... can you find later connecting flights??? just a thought.....???

The ones that I pulled up from Expedia and/or Orbitz are running about 2.0 hours for the layover. Would that be sufficient time?

Coming into JFK 2.55entry entry and leave at 4.55pm

I probably could find one for a little more time but I think that is the grace time of between flights.

The thing that I told her to do is don't bring everything. You know what Filipinos do. They bring everything plus the kitchen sink.

So that if she has to move the bag herself to another airline, she won't have to struggle. She is a small girl.

USCIS

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

MANILA EMBASSY

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

That 2 hours seems kind of tight for JFK.

Factor in possible long lines at immigration, flight delays due to weather approaching New York-then trying to clear customs-then she needs to haul her bag to the new gate to check-in for the connecting flight-then stand in line to get re-screened by the wonderful folks of TSA.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

The ones that I pulled up from Expedia and/or Orbitz are running about 2.0 hours for the layover. Would that be sufficient time?

Coming into JFK 2.55entry entry and leave at 4.55pm

I probably could find one for a little more time but I think that is the grace time of between flights.

The thing that I told her to do is don't bring everything. You know what Filipinos do. They bring everything plus the kitchen sink.

So that if she has to move the bag herself to another airline, she won't have to struggle. She is a small girl.

You may be trying to cut it too close... that would be close in normal circumstances, but with the immigration issues, luggage, next flight gate, etc....

And Hey!!! Why aren't you there with her at JFK?

Timeline

Because I am 10 hours away from JFK LOL

I have flown from Philippines to North Carolina and back many of times and the last thing I want to do is sit in a car for another 10 hours.

USCIS

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

MANILA EMBASSY

Timeline

In addition to that, has your fiancee every traveled internationally before? Airports for a first time traveler can be very intimidating and confusing, which can add to a delay.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

Timeline

I was thinking about it and I think that you are implying me flying to JFK to meet her there.

I think that is the best thing to do. Especially, POE and first time in United States.

I think i will meet her there and then fly back to North Carolina with her so that there are no issues. You have to take at least two stops to where I live and it will be hard for her.

So, yeah.. your right.. Didn't really think about flying up there.

USCIS

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

MANILA EMBASSY

Timeline

Because I am 10 hours away from JFK LOL

I have flown from Philippines to North Carolina and back many of times and the last thing I want to do is sit in a car for another 10 hours.

Uh... quick question.... Are you waiting for a package, or for your fiancee? :blink:

Timeline

Don't book her ticket until after she has her visa in hand.

Also, as a beneficiary, I find telling her not to bring her "everything" is a bit insensitive. I know you mean it in a joking way but still, she's traveling half way around the world to be with you. She should bring her kitchen sink if she darn well chooses. :P

Tell you what... I'll send you the baggage bill for the weight of the kitchen sink.

No no I mean like she brings all her personal stuff but not everything becuase I told her that once she gets here. I will buy her all new clothing.

They don't know what it means when the weather gets below 75 degrees. She might get cold.

It is still in the 50-60s when she gets here in March sometime so she may need new clothes.

I remember coming from Kuwait and Iraq back to Germany and I froze my butt off. Even inside the building I was cold.

Uh... quick question.... Are you waiting for a package, or for your fiancee? :blink:

Do you need the answer tonight?

USCIS

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

MANILA EMBASSY

Timeline

Tell you what... I'll send you the baggage bill for the weight of the kitchen sink.

No no I mean like she brings all her personal stuff but not everything becuase I told her that once she gets here. I will buy her all new clothing.

They don't know what it means when the weather gets below 75 degrees. She might get cold.

It is still in the 50-60s when she gets here in March sometime so she may need new clothes.

I remember coming from Kuwait and Iraq back to Germany and I froze my butt off. Even inside the building I was cold.

Do you need the answer tonight?

NO, I don't require any more from you.

Good luck.

Timeline

OP, here is a link that might be of use to you. You can get a look at the CBP flight processing times/wait times

to get a ball park idea as to the efficiency of getting inbound passengers cleared through customs.

Timeline

I was thinking about it and I think that you are implying me flying to JFK to meet her there.

I think that is the best thing to do. Especially, POE and first time in United States.

I think i will meet her there and then fly back to North Carolina with her so that there are no issues. You have to take at least two stops to where I live and it will be hard for her.

So, yeah.. your right.. Didn't really think about flying up there.

That would be a very good idea OP, you know what a challenge it is to reach your destination. Now throw in the fact that you're totally new to hauling yourself several thousand nautical miles to an unfamiliar place...that can be quite intimidating.

Besides, I think your fiancee would be thrilled to share the last leg of her trip with you.

You might even earn a few extra points in the 'he's so thoughtful and caring category.'

Take a jacket with you when you meet her at JFK, March is still cool for us but cold for a Pinay.

Edited by Leatherneck

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

That 2 hours seems kind of tight for JFK.

Factor in possible long lines at immigration, flight delays due to weather approaching New York-then trying to clear customs-then she needs to haul her bag to the new gate to check-in for the connecting flight-then stand in line to get re-screened by the wonderful folks of TSA.

Factor in late departure from Manila or connecting city. Are you sure she won't land first in Honolulu or Guam?

My personal recommendation is that if her POE is JFK and her destination is RDU, that you meet her at JFK and drive or take the connecting flight together. If that's not practical, have her arrive as early in the day as practical, with at least a 4 hour layover to something other than the last flight to RDU that night.

No buying a round trip from RDU to Manila and back with the idea she'll just take the return leg. Do your research well and unless she's an experienced traveler with excellent English skills, don't leave her to make that connection on her own.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.