Adnan&Liane

Need advice on writing congress-person to inquire about AP status...

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

I am looking into writing my congress-person to check into the status of our AP and would like some advice. I have a few questions and I was hoping that those of you who wrote your congress-person could please share your experiences. How far into AP were you when you decided to write them? How did you structure your letter? What kind of information did you include? Did you have a lawyer advise you or write the letter for you? Please share as much about your experience as possible. Thank you!

God delays but doesn't forget.

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

We were right at 5 months and read the bio of our congressman carefully to see if he/she would be helpful or not with the immigration issues. Luckily for us, he is up for re election as well as big into immigration the right way. He has already made two inquiries and will make another one in another couple of weeks. He feels strongly that he wants to show his office is interested without creating issues for the case by stopping it constantly to check the status. We lucked up and got a normal processing response but as you may be well aware, normal for pakistan is prob anything over 5 months to a year. :(

All we had to do was make a phone call give my email and print and fill out and sign the agreement that they could check on our case and scan it back to them.

When we talked on the phone we discussed our case at length so he has a good idea of who we are and our case.

Good luck..

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

On my congressman's website is a form you print and sign giving him permission to look into your case. I just mailed his office the form. There was no need to write a letter. A few days after I mailed the form I followed up with a phone call. His office had tried to call me but they put the wrong number into their computer.

You will be given a staffer who will work on your case. My staffer is named Richard and he has sent 3 emails so far to the embassy. The first 2 responses were that our case was still in AP. The third response was that the assistant consular at the embassy would look into our case to see what was taking so long. We have been in AP for over 14 months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Congress Men/Women do not do anything, they have staffers.

Whilst they can be useful if you get lost in the process in getting things going again, there is nothing they can do to speed up AP.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Congress Men/Women do not do anything, they have staffers.

Whilst they can be useful if you get lost in the process in getting things going again, there is nothing they can do to speed up AP.

Si, man. Furthermore, Congressmen can't intercede directly with consulates or embassies because it's a violation of the Congressional Code of Ethics. That's why staff members do this work.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.