alebella

Help with Income Tax!SINGLE OR MARRIED?PETITIONERS OVERSEAS

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi everyone. Last night my sister sent me copies of my 2 w2's so i could do my taxes. I also got a tuiton statement (form 1098-T) and Im doing my taxes online on H&R as always. I don't know if I should file as single or married because me and my husband got married in argentina but he never went to the U.S. Also my parents want to claim me on there tax return since Im living with them and for the credit they get since I was in school and received grants and scholarships. I'm overseas so I can't go find any information out in person so I emailed the U.S embassy here in Argentina.but they take forever to respond.I wanted to ask for those who are residing abroad to help me please.

129.gif

"I believe that were there is great love,there always miracles"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

not sure about the married or single option, but there is a section on your return where you can check a box indicating that somebody can claim you as a dependent.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

You should file MARRIED because you are MARRIED. You can file married filing separately.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks but my parents just told me that they did claim me on their taxes so I have to file single

But you're not single.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

Thanks but my parents just told me that they did claim me on their taxes so I have to file single

Sorry, but you are NOT single. That is why you say you have a wife and are married. Your choices are to file as married filing jointly or married filing seperately. Check out the IRS website for which is the best option and IF your parents can still claim a married child on their taxes. Do not bother asking the Embassy or USCIS as they deal with immigration and the IRS deals with taxes. Any information you receive from the USCIS about taxes should not be taken as accurate unless double checked with the IRS. It is the IRS that will come after you for incorrect tax information not the USCIS. You might want to start your search here and then goto the IRS website.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Timeline

Sorry, but you are NOT single. That is why you say you have a wife and are married. Your choices are to file as married filing jointly or married filing seperately. Check out the IRS website for which is the best option and IF your parents can still claim a married child on their taxes. Do not bother asking the Embassy or USCIS as they deal with immigration and the IRS deals with taxes. Any information you receive from the USCIS about taxes should not be taken as accurate unless double checked with the IRS. It is the IRS that will come after you for incorrect tax information not the USCIS. You might want to start your search here and then goto the IRS website.

Good luck,

Dave

Oh okay thank you then.

129.gif

Timeline

Good luck,

Dave

Joint Return – If the dependent is married, the dependent cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

With that said, it means I can still be claimed as a dependent on my parents tax return but I have to file separately correct?

129.gif

Joint Return – If the dependent is married, the dependent cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

With that said, it means I can still be claimed as a dependent on my parents tax return but I have to file separately correct?

That's the way I read it, but I am not a tax advisor and do not claim to know jack about the 14,000+ pages of the IRS tax code :whistle: . You might want to consult a good tax advisor as to what is the most advantagous way to file including having your parents claim you or not. The method that pays the least amount of tax is the way to go.

Dave

Timeline

That's the way I read it, but I am not a tax advisor and do not claim to know jack about the 14,000+ pages of the IRS tax code :whistle: . You might want to consult a good tax advisor as to what is the most advantagous way to file including having your parents claim you or not. The method that pays the least amount of tax is the way to go.

Dave

thanks the embassy replied today and I read over what they wrote and did extra research so I can file single since my husband wasn't living with me in the u.s when we got married and because we did not spend more than half a year living together in the u.s and some other things i found out. thanks for your help though I really appreciate it

129.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.