charless

petition for sibling

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

hello vjers,

i am us citizen and want my sister to come over...i have started filling out i 130 forms ...do i need to attach her picture too?thank you

As far as I know, you can primarily petition your parents, but sadly not your siblings. Then, your parents would petition your sister, but it would count years.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

USCIS Information on Siblings

Bringing Siblings to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents

To petition to bring your sibling (brother or sister) to live in the United States as a green card holder, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age. Permanent residents may not petition to bring siblings to live permanently in the United States.

Definition of a Sibling

A sibling is a brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or adopted brother or sister. For the necessary sibling relationship to exist, each person must have been a child of at least one of the same parents. The siblings need not share the same biological parents as long as both became "children" at the appropriate time (before the age of 16 in cases of adoption, and before the age of 18 for stepchildren).

Overview of the Immigration Process

A legal immigrant (or "lawful permanent resident") is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. There is a three-step process for your brother or sister to become a legal immigrant:

The USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition that you file for your brother or sister.

The State Department visa bulletin must show that a sibling immigrant visa is available to your sibling, based on the date that you filed the immigrant visa application.

If your brother or sister is outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available, your brother or sister will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa. If your sibling is legally inside the U.S. when an immigrant visa number becomes available, he or she may apply to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident using the Form I-485.

Depending on the relationship and the country involved, the wait for an available sibling visa number may be several years. You may refer to the Department of State's Visa Bulletin for current priority dates.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

USCIS Information on Siblings

Bringing Siblings to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents

To petition to bring your sibling (brother or sister) to live in the United States as a green card holder, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age. Permanent residents may not petition to bring siblings to live permanently in the United States.

Definition of a Sibling

A sibling is a brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or adopted brother or sister. For the necessary sibling relationship to exist, each person must have been a child of at least one of the same parents. The siblings need not share the same biological parents as long as both became "children" at the appropriate time (before the age of 16 in cases of adoption, and before the age of 18 for stepchildren).

Overview of the Immigration Process

A legal immigrant (or "lawful permanent resident") is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. There is a three-step process for your brother or sister to become a legal immigrant:

The USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition that you file for your brother or sister.

The State Department visa bulletin must show that a sibling immigrant visa is available to your sibling, based on the date that you filed the immigrant visa application.

If your brother or sister is outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available, your brother or sister will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa. If your sibling is legally inside the U.S. when an immigrant visa number becomes available, he or she may apply to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident using the Form I-485.

Depending on the relationship and the country involved, the wait for an available sibling visa number may be several years. You may refer to the Department of State's Visa Bulletin for current priority dates.

thx for your reply...but you havnt answered my question...do I need to attach passport size photo with i 130?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

thx for your reply...but you havnt answered my question...do I need to attach passport size photo with i 130?

:yes: Yes you will need to include " One passport-type photo (see specification) of the petitioner. Write the full name on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a."

Please see " Step-by-Step Guide on How to File an I-130 for Relative (spouse) Outside the US "

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Edited by Wally Greene

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hello vjers,

i am us citizen and want my sister to come over...i have started filling out i 130 forms ...do i need to attach her picture too?thank you

hi,

no, no pictures, no passport photo. only the i130 form, payment, proof of citizenship and copies of each birth certificate. If the birth certificates aren't in English, you must attach a translation in English for each one of them.

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

hi,

no, no pictures, no passport photo. only the i130 form, payment, proof of citizenship and copies of each birth certificate. If the birth certificates aren't in English, you must attach a translation in English for each one of them.

Thank you so much aleful for your reply!you rock!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As far as I know, you can primarily petition your parents, but sadly not your siblings. Then, your parents would petition your sister, but it would count years.

A U.S citizen can petition for siblings, parents and spouse. You do not need to include passport photo or most of the things needed for fiance/marriage petitions. Just form I-130, copies of birth certificate of petitioner and beneficiary, copies of proof of citizenship of petitoner( eg, Birth certificate, naturalization cert, U.S passport) and payment for the petition.

It does take several years as opposed to if parents petitoned( though this depends on if the children are above abd beloew 21years and married or unmarried). Then again their names are in the system. I plan to start for my sbilings once my mom comes in.

Edited by ndu26

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.