bowhunter

Should I go with fiance' to interview?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, so sorry if I'm duplicating efforts. I think our interview in Manila will be somewhere in the December to February timeframe. I just returned from Phils, and so am naturally already planning my next trip! I have a couple questions for those of you who have already been down the interview path . . .

First, should I, or do I, go with Evelyn to Manila when she has her interview, or does she go alone?

Second, is the medical in Manila, and can it be scheduled at approximately the same time as the interview so that we could make a single trip?

Finally, how soon after the interview completes can we expect the visa in hand? When she is ready to leave Phils, I would go there to bring her back to the states, and I imagine this would have to be a separate, later trip from the interview, right?

Thanks!!

October 1, 2005 . . . . Evelyn and I met online

March 8, 2006 . . . . Traveled to Phils for first face-2-face . . . Oh, my god! . . . Wow!!!

March 21, 2006 . . . . I-129F Packet Sent

March 30, 2006 . . . . NOA1 Received

May 25, 2006 . . . . Traveled to Phils for Evelyn's June 1st Bday

June 1, 2006 . . . . Application transferred from Lincoln, NE to California

July 5, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Request Received

July 6, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Information Sent

July 13, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Information Received Ack from USCIS

September 11, 2006 . . . . Email from USCIS - CASE APPROVED !!!!!!

September 15, 2006 . . . . Third trip to Phils . . . dragged kicking and screaming to my flight home

September 16, 2006 . . . . NOA2 Received !!!

October 16 . . . . NVC received packet

October 17 . . . NVC forwards packet to Manila

October 23 . . . Manila receives Visa packet

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi all. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, so sorry if I'm duplicating efforts. I think our interview in Manila will be somewhere in the December to February timeframe. I just returned from Phils, and so am naturally already planning my next trip! I have a couple questions for those of you who have already been down the interview path . . .

First, should I, or do I, go with Evelyn to Manila when she has her interview, or does she go alone?

Second, is the medical in Manila, and can it be scheduled at approximately the same time as the interview so that we could make a single trip?

Finally, how soon after the interview completes can we expect the visa in hand? When she is ready to leave Phils, I would go there to bring her back to the states, and I imagine this would have to be a separate, later trip from the interview, right?

Thanks!!

You dont need to go with her to the interview. They even say at the Embassy that the fiance or family members are not allowed in the embassy during the interview. If you want to go just for support before and after thats cool. But dont go because you think you have to. Save the vacation time for when she gets here. Unless you have 51 weeks of vacation a year :-)

I dont know about Manilla but I'm sure it's no different than Russia. The embassy gives approved medical centers to get the medical done. Just make sure she makes the appointment a few days before her interview to get her medical done. It can take a day or two to get the paperwork from the medical center.

If she has her visa sent to her expect a 3 or 4 of days by DHL or other service. If she stays in Manilla (I dont know how far she is from Manilla) and waits for it maybe the next day or two. You dont have to fly back with her. If she speaks enough english she'll do fine flying by herself. good luck on your journey

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

You dont need to go with her to the interview. They even say at the Embassy that the fiance or family members are not allowed in the embassy during the interview. If you want to go just for support before and after thats cool. But dont go because you think you have to. Save the vacation time for when she gets here. Unless you have 51 weeks of vacation a year :-)

I dont know about Manilla but I'm sure it's no different than Russia.

I don't know if this response was based on a knowledge of the Manila Consulate, or knowledge of the Russian Consulate .... applied to the Manila Consulate, ...... but not all consulates are equal.

At the consulate in the Dominican Republic, for example, both parties do need to be at the interview. The consular officials separate the couple into different rooms, ask questions about each other and the relationship, and then compare responses for consistency.

So, I would definitely check the website for the Manilla consulate, and/or consult with someone who has first-hand knowledge of that consulate.

6/29 - NEW I-129 mailed to CSC

7/21 - NOA1 issued

9/21 - finally ... my first touch!!

9/21 - NOA2 issued

Thanks!!

I dont know about Manilla but I'm sure it's no different than Russia. The embassy gives approved medical centers to get the medical done. Just make sure she makes the appointment a few days before her interview to get her medical done. It can take a day or two to get the paperwork from the medical center.

If she has her visa sent to her expect a 3 or 4 of days by DHL or other service. If she stays in Manilla (I dont know how far she is from Manilla) and waits for it maybe the next day or two. You dont have to fly back with her. If she speaks enough english she'll do fine flying by herself. good luck on your journey

You should be careful about giving information about the consulate interview for consulates which you are not familiar with. What applied to you certainly does not apply in Manila.

Not only can you attend the interview with your fiancee in Manila, but I would recommend it.

If you want to bring her home during the same trip, I would suggest leaving plenty of time following the interview. If there aren't any complications, most visas are delivered within about 2 weeks ... some much quicker ... some a little longer.

The medical is usually scheduled 1 week before the interview. I wouldn't try to reschedule it much past that. The medical will usually take 2 days -- exam on the first day and vaccinations on the second day. They will need time after the medical to send the results and her passport to the consulate.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Like it was said above - you have to find out the guidelines for your embassy.

The embassy in Brasil allows the USC to attend, but it is not mandatory. I plan to go to support my fiance and because he does not speak English and I don't want him to fly alone and arrive here by himself.

Plus, it's another excuse for us to have a 'honeymoon' in Rio de Janeiro!!

Good luck.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline

Sorry John and Marlene. I'll remember not to give out anymore advice. Your so much smarter than I am. Good luck to you in Oklahoma

BTW John I have some friends that can recommend a place for some hair plugs.

Edited by travlnmannn

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks!!

just wanna give my comment: My fiancee before is not with me when i was interviewed in the philippines, as my packet came in the philippine embassy, its my turn to process the papers,all you have to do is wait for the schedules and instructions, so what happened is i am alone when i go to my medical and interview, oh my mother is with me but they are not allowed inside the St. Luke Medical hospital and even in the embassy they have to wait for me to be done outside. In my situation as i am done with my medical after 2 weeks is my interview and then after my interview i got my visa 2 days. You can get the visa early if you are within manila.And as i get my fiancee visa there is the instruction inside be sure to read first before you open ok because i made a mistake before, i opened my sealed yellow enveloped, as one of the instruction if you didnt attend the seminar yet you have to, and it is just for the whole day. Goodluck

pm me to get in touch with you both. ok

Sorry John and Marlene. I'll remember not to give out anymore advice. Your so much smarter than I am. Good luck to you in Oklahoma

I'm sure there are aspects of the consulate in Russia that you are much more equipped to comment on than me and I would never give advice regarding that location as I totally lack that experience. Consulates vary greatly and it's best to only consider information regarding a consulate that comes from that particular consulate or direct experience.

Such comments usually originate with insecurity.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

:yes: I've been looking for a good place to go for hair plugs

Removal of conditions

09-29-09 : Mailed I-751 ( The game is now started)

10-02-09 : Delivered, 3:20 pm, SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479

10-05-09 : NOA

11-10-09 : Bio

Timeline

I'm sure there are aspects of the consulate in Russia that you are much more equipped to comment on than me and I would never give advice regarding that location as I totally lack that experience. Consulates vary greatly and it's best to only consider information regarding a consulate that comes from that particular consulate or direct experience.

I agree, but welcome all opinions. My situation is specific to Philippines, and understand that advice given for other consulates may not apply. However, I'm not the only one reading this thread, so information about other consulates is also valuable, right? So, my thanks to everyone for their information. Just, please . . . no personal attacks. It isn't necessary. So . . . back to the topic . . . it sounds like I should go for the interview. My concern was that my attendance at the interview would be needed to demonstrate we were serious and legit. I'll probably plan on attending, then return later to bring her home.

October 1, 2005 . . . . Evelyn and I met online

March 8, 2006 . . . . Traveled to Phils for first face-2-face . . . Oh, my god! . . . Wow!!!

March 21, 2006 . . . . I-129F Packet Sent

March 30, 2006 . . . . NOA1 Received

May 25, 2006 . . . . Traveled to Phils for Evelyn's June 1st Bday

June 1, 2006 . . . . Application transferred from Lincoln, NE to California

July 5, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Request Received

July 6, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Information Sent

July 13, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Information Received Ack from USCIS

September 11, 2006 . . . . Email from USCIS - CASE APPROVED !!!!!!

September 15, 2006 . . . . Third trip to Phils . . . dragged kicking and screaming to my flight home

September 16, 2006 . . . . NOA2 Received !!!

October 16 . . . . NVC received packet

October 17 . . . NVC forwards packet to Manila

October 23 . . . Manila receives Visa packet

She can go alone, and from what I understand, you could go with her the morning of the interview, but won't be in the room while it takes place. I would think though, if you can do it, that would be a great source of support for her on the day, and I know I would go if I could.

Best of luck to you two! :thumbs:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

She can go alone, and from what I understand, you could go with her the morning of the interview, but won't be in the room while it takes place. I would think though, if you can do it, that would be a great source of support for her on the day, and I know I would go if I could.

Best of luck to you two! :thumbs:

You are able to be in the room. I sat right next to Marlene while she was interviewed.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

11/09/2005 Medical

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/17/2005 Wedding

02/09/2006 NOA

07/24/2006 GC arrived

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

Timeline

Your very well informed John and Marlene. Obviously you've been through the interview process in Manila. But please dont be so ignorant and downplay other people that try to give advice. Anyone that receives information from VJ should also do other research. Dont believe all things that you read on the internet. I just did some research on the website for the Manila Embassy. It doesn't say anything "THAT I COULD FIND" about wether or not the fiance can join in the interview. A simple phone call I'm sure would give the right answer. Be a little bit more open minded that some people are just trying to help. I've recieved quite a bit of information from VJ but I've always gone beyond this website to get more information. Good luck to you and your wife.

Insecurity huh. I guess thats why I've gone outside of my country for a spouse as well. Oh I"m sorry you've done that as well. But I'm sure your not insecure in anyway :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You don't have to go with your fiance(e) for the interview and in some country, they won't let you in the building anyway. But you can comany with your fiance(e) sure for the event so she feels more conferdent about it. If the emassary won't let you in, she can always show your passport to the VO to let them your support.

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Timeline

Quite surprised by the hostility here. Everyone has some experience that they can provide. Degrading someone for their appearance is childish and serves no purpose. There is no stupid question asked but the one that 'is not asked'! God speed you all and can't wait to be with my sweetie once again!

Remember: "No matter how bad things SEEM to be, it could ALWAYS BE WORSE!"

K1 JOURNEY:

01/02/2006 - Met online.

05/15/2003 - Met first time in Manila.

06/10/2006 - Engagement.

09/09/2006 - I-129F Sent to VSC.

09/11/2006 - I-129F Signed for at VSC

09/26/2006 - I-129F Approved (through Email)

09/27/2006 - Touched

10/04/2006 - Received Approval from NVC!!!! (Hardcopy)

10/09/2006 - Fiancee recieves Notice of Reciept from US Embassey, Manila!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.