Karly-n-Bruce

Age Difference Relationships

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the replies so far.

I haven't been that active yet so I figured I would add a little more info about us. ;) I am 20 and Bruce is 46 (47 in a couple weeks). Our K1 process has been a little bumpy but nothing extreme. I think the hardest thing to deal with is the time between hearing something as well as the time spent apart. I'm simply hoping our interview isn't a total disaster because of our age difference. I don't see why it would be, but you never know. I hope my nerves don't get the best of me during my interview (which is in 23 days :unsure::clock: ) because I have issues when dealing with anxiety. I don't want to seem unsure or scared. I want them to see that we are genuinely in love and want to spend the rest of our lives together. Anyway, enough rambling. Perhaps relationships like ours will be a little more socially accepted in the future instead of questioned. :)

There's a lot of topics on this one, but here's my quick & dirty take on it.

An age difference alone is not a reason for a denial, i.e., there's no check box that says 'couples must be within ten years.' That said, everything in this whole process is geared around one question:

Is this couple for real? Do they intend to marry?

So while there isn't an age check box, it could be a factor arousing suspicion in the mind of the consulate official. Things to consider:

Do older women normally marry much younger men in that culture?

Is there a stigma attached to (laundry list) men who marry divorcées, men who marry older women, relationships that are unlikely to yield children that make it seem unlikely that the young man is in love with the older woman?

Is the country one where there is a high rate of visa fraud?

Canada isn't a high-risk country, but the important thing is just to make a case to the official that you are a real couple. (And check out the Montréal consulate reviews, too.)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

IT WOULD BE VERY UNFAIR TO BE DENIED BECAUSE OF AGE. IF THATS THE CASE THEN ONE SHOULDNT BE ABLE TO BE MARRIED BECAUSE OF THE SAME AGE.

I was wondering if there were other members here who have gone through the K-1 process and have a significant age gap between one another. There are 27 years between my fiance and I and I'm afraid we may be treated differently/unfairly because of it (already experienced discrimination of sorts at the border with US Customs because of our age difference). :unsure:

JULY 2005 - WE MET

APRIL 25, 2006- I29F SENT

MAY 5, 2006 - RFE RECEIVED

AUG 3, 2006 - RFE2 RECEIVED

AUG 8, 2006 - SENT RFE BACK TO NVC

SEPT 29, 2006 - NOA 2 RECEIVED (APPROVED)

SEPT 2006 - WAITING FOR NEXT STEP

OCT 24, 2006- STILL WAITING.............

C'MON YOU GUYS, A CHRISTMAS INTERVIEW WOULD BE NICE.....

NOV 1, 2006 - SEAN RECEIVED PACKET #3 (THANK GOD FOR MAIL...EVEN SNAIL MAIL)

NOV 15 2006- PREPARING TO TURN IN DS230 IN KINGSTON

JAN 18, 2007 TURNED IN DS230

TOLD TO EXPECT MAIL IN MARCH.

FEB 20, 2007 RECEIVED MAIL OF

MARCH 27,2007 INTERVIEW DATE

APR 27, 2007 BRING IN AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT

(PRAY THAT HE IS APPROVED)

HE WAS GIVEN INCORRECT DATE!!!!!

MAY 15, 2007 HOPEFULLY THIS IS FINAL APPROVAL

WE HAVE BEEN APPROVED

JUNE 17 2007 FINALLY RECEIVED VISA

AUGUST 3, 2007 FLEW INTO JFK NY

AINT LONG AS IT HAS BEEN.....

STILL SAVING MONEY UP TO FILE AOS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I haven't been that active yet so I figured I would add a little more info about us. ;) I am 20 and Bruce is 46 (47 in a couple weeks). Our K1 process has been a little bumpy but nothing extreme. I think the hardest thing to deal with is the time between hearing something as well as the time spent apart. I'm simply hoping our interview isn't a total disaster because of our age difference. I don't see why it would be, but you never know. I hope my nerves don't get the best of me during my interview (which is in 23 days :unsure::clock: ) because I have issues when dealing with anxiety. I don't want to seem unsure or scared. I want them to see that we are genuinely in love and want to spend the rest of our lives together. Anyway, enough rambling. Perhaps relationships like ours will be a little more socially accepted in the future instead of questioned. :)

If you get nervous and likely to have an anxiety attack, could your fiance be at the interview with you? I know my embassy encourages fiances to attend if at all possible. Taking the time to make the trip and sitting together, completely comfortable together, will speak volumes when being interviewed.

The age gap will appear smaller as you get older. There is 15 years between my fiance and I. When I was 23 and he was 38 it seems more significant. But at 30 and 45 it doesn't seem scandalous anymore!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Our age difference is almost 23 years and we were approved.

However, if your fiance is under 21 y.o. Then you may have to overcome this.

Feb. 2005 - Met in Brazil the first time

May. 2005 - Visited Brazil

Aug. 2005 - Visited Brazil

10/30/05 - Mailed I129F

11/09/05 - NOA1

Nov. 2005 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/02/06 - NOA2

Feb. 2006 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/24/06 - Packet received at NVC

03/20/06 - Fiance received packet 3 from consulate

04/26/06 - Fiance received appointment letter

05/09/06 - I flew to Rio

5/10/06 - Met fiance at airport

5/11/06 - Medical exam in Rio

05/12/06 - Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!!

05/17/06 - Received visa in Rio

07/20/06 - POE Miami

10/16/06 - Married!!!!

01/10/07 - Sent AOS and EAD application

01/17/07 - NOA - Receipt

02/02/07 - Biometric appointment

02/09/07 - NOA - Transfer of case to California center

03/22/07 - EAD approved

05/10/07 - AOS approved!!!!

Eulalia and Bill

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
IT WOULD BE VERY UNFAIR TO BE DENIED BECAUSE OF AGE. IF THATS THE CASE THEN ONE SHOULDNT BE ABLE TO BE MARRIED BECAUSE OF THE SAME AGE.

I was wondering if there were other members here who have gone through the K-1 process and have a significant age gap between one another. There are 27 years between my fiance and I and I'm afraid we may be treated differently/unfairly because of it (already experienced discrimination of sorts at the border with US Customs because of our age difference). :unsure:

OKAY!!! :lol:

Edited by Ana and Dan

April 1, 2006 - Filed I-129F

April 7, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 – Touched due to transfer to from NSC to CSC.

July 3, 2006 - IMBRA RFE Recieved in mail

July 6, 2006 - IMBRA RFE sent back to CSC

July 14, 2006 - CSC received RFE

July 15, 2006 - Touched

August 10, 2006 - Touched

August 11, 2006 - Touched

August 12, 2006 - Touched - Second RFE notice

August 14, 2006 - Touched

August 15, 2006 - Touched

August 19, 2006 - Second RFE arrives

August 20, 2006 - RFE reply

August 25, 2006 - Touched - RFE reply received

August 26, 2006 - Touched

August 28, 2006 - NOA2 approved in 144 days

August 29, 2006 - Touched

September 2, 2006 - Physical NOA2 arrives in mail

September 8, 2006 - NVC receives case

September 13, 2006 - NVC sends case to Rio

September 18, 2006 - Physical notice from NVC arrives in mail

September 18, 2006 - Case arrives in Rio

September 26, 2006 - Packet 3 replied to (before receiving it)

September 27, 2006 - Packet 3 response arrives in Rio

September 27, 2006 - Packet 3 arrives at Ana's

October 6, 2006 - Packet 4 arrives at Ana's

October 9, 2006 - Medical

December 5, 2006 - Interview!!

January 13, 2007 - Getting married in Hawaii!!

Praia_do_Forte_Apr_24_2006054resize.jpg

115511272516511.gif

Filed: Timeline

Karly-n-Bruce,

CONTEXT - you should have provided more complete information in you origianl post.

What makes you think that relationships like yours are not socially accepted? That aside, what makes you think that they are not immigration accepted?

Yodrak

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Karly-n-Bruce,

CONTEXT - you should have provided more complete information in you origianl post.

What makes you think that relationships like yours are not socially accepted? That aside, what makes you think that they are not immigration accepted?

Yodrak

Sorry. I didn't mean to be so vague in my initial post.

Relationships like mine and Bruce's may be socially acceptable in other parts of the world, but it doesn't seem to be too fitting here. Maybe it's because I live in a small town but it seems as though there are many people who are not as open minded as others. It's not as bad now but when we first announced our relationship status, we got many nasty remarks and stares. I suppose we've had an all-around bad experience with people telling us what we share is wrong because of our age difference.

The fact that we were treated like sh*t by Customs officers because of our age difference leads me to believe that any other authority figure could possibly react the same way. Which is why I'm afraid the officials at the Consulate may react in some harsh way. I really don't know what to expect and no one really does. I was simply looking for other members who have successfully attained their K1 visas and are in an ADR. I thought it would help ease my uncertainties as well as give us both reassurance that we are not alone because it sure does feel that way sometimes.

Filed: Timeline

Karly-n-Bruce,

Sorry to learn that you've had some bad experiences. Nevertheless age difference is not, in and of itself, a factor in immigration. It is but one piece of a jigsaw puzzle, and how the finished picture looks depends on all of the pieces and how they fit together.

Yodrak

Karly-n-Bruce,

Yodrak

Sorry. I didn't mean to be so vague in my initial post.

Relationships like mine and Bruce's may be socially acceptable in other parts of the world, but it doesn't seem to be too fitting here. Maybe it's because I live in a small town but it seems as though there are many people who are not as open minded as others. It's not as bad now but when we first announced our relationship status, we got many nasty remarks and stares. I suppose we've had an all-around bad experience with people telling us what we share is wrong because of our age difference.

The fact that we were treated like sh*t by Customs officers because of our age difference leads me to believe that any other authority figure could possibly react the same way. Which is why I'm afraid the officials at the Consulate may react in some harsh way. I really don't know what to expect and no one really does. I was simply looking for other members who have successfully attained their K1 visas and are in an ADR. I thought it would help ease my uncertainties as well as give us both reassurance that we are not alone because it sure does feel that way sometimes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

26 years and 9 months age difference between me and my fiancee. We were approved no problem. :D

July 7, 2004 - Met Aimee in a chatroom

Dec. 25, 2005 - Went to Phils to meet her the first time

January 7, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to Nebraska Service Center.

January 27, 2006 - Received NOA1.

April 18, 2006 @1859 cst - NOA2 - APPROVED!

July 15, 2006 - Packet 4 received

September1, 2006 - Medical

September 8, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!

October 15, 2006 - Arrived in USA

November 4, 2006 --- WEDDING!!!

April 20, 2007 - Mailed AOS

May 18, 2007 - Biometrics

July 26, 2007---GREEN CARD!(no interview)

April 13, 2009 - Mailed I-751 for Removal of Conditions

May 5, 2009 - NOA (extension approved)

May 18, 2009 - Biometrics appointment arrived today-scheduled for May 29, 2009

August 13, 2009 - Approval for removal of conditions (originally delayed due to RFE)

August 20, 2009 - 10 year green card arrived in mail

June 9, 2010</ - Treygan Isaiah is born

June, 21, 2010 - My adoption of Nathan is finalized

No lawyers and no problems

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.