Samantha78

How much proof when removing conditions?

28 posts in this topic

This questions is premature but I need to know from now what direction I'll be going in. My husband will be arriving in the US in a few weeks. I've already completed the forms to add him to my health insurance plan at work, just waiting for his arrival.

My issue is: Yes he is my husband BUT at this time I am hesitant about adding him to my life insurance plans through my employer (as many of you know, I will have the option to change all of my benefits and beneficiaries once I add him to my ins plan - otherwise I will have to wait until open season Next January). I own a home but I plan to sell within the next 2 years so that also is something I feel useless to add his name to. We will do the joint bank account and of course file taxes together. Also, I will add him to my car insurance.

When removing conditions, in your opinion, will it pose a problem or look non bona fide if I have not added him to the life insurance policies or home mortgage?

Married: 6/17/11

I-130 Sent: 7/9/11

NOA1 : 7/14/11

I-129F Sent: 7/21/11

NOA1: 7/21/11

NOA2: 8/22/11

NVC Received: 8/24/11

NVC Left: 8/26/11

Consulate Received: 9/5/11

Packet 4 Received: 10/4/11

Medical Done: 11/7/11

Interview: 11/23/11

Approved: 11/23/11

Changed to CR1: 12/16/11

Medical Re-Done: 1/5/12

Waiting for Issuance of Visa.........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

This questions is premature but I need to know from now what direction I'll be going in. My husband will be arriving in the US in a few weeks. I've already completed the forms to add him to my health insurance plan at work, just waiting for his arrival.

My issue is: Yes he is my husband BUT at this time I am hesitant about adding him to my life insurance plans through my employer (as many of you know, I will have the option to change all of my benefits and beneficiaries once I add him to my ins plan - otherwise I will have to wait until open season Next January). I own a home but I plan to sell within the next 2 years so that also is something I feel useless to add his name to. We will do the joint bank account and of course file taxes together. Also, I will add him to my car insurance.

When removing conditions, in your opinion, will it pose a problem or look non bona fide if I have not added him to the life insurance policies or home mortgage?

Hello, this is my own personal opinion...maybe someone else can chime in, but I would definitely add him to your Life Insurance and mortgage if you can. Actually, you can't add him to your mortgage unless you refinance (I believe), but you can add him as a "representative" meaning he has the right to receive information and ask information regarding such. That's what I did and I asked for a copy of it for confirmation so I could send it in with ROC. Just my two cents. Good luck with everything and be blessed.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Hello, this is my own personal opinion...maybe someone else can chime in, but I would definitely add him to your Life Insurance and mortgage if you can. Actually, you can't add him to your mortgage unless you refinance (I believe), but you can add him as a "representative" meaning he has the right to receive information and ask information regarding such. That's what I did and I asked for a copy of it for confirmation so I could send it in with ROC. Just my two cents. Good luck with everything and be blessed.

Thanks for the input...I will check on that with the mortgage. I'm hesitant about the life insurance thing. I guess I want to see how everythingplays out while he's here. Maybe, after a year of him living here, when open season comes again in January, I will have a clearer mind and not feel so hesitant.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks for the input...I will check on that with the mortgage. I'm hesitant about the life insurance thing. I guess I want to see how everythingplays out while he's here. Maybe, after a year of him living here, when open season comes again in January, I will have a clearer mind and not feel so hesitant.

You're most welcome :) ROC isn't for a couple years so I would imagine if you added him next January that would be fine.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

you have to add your husband to your life insurance. also, uscis would want to see all bills in both of your names. you should find some way to put him on morgage. if not, write down a statement and tell why you can't add him on. then, git the statement noterized.

you have to add your husband to your life insurance. also, uscis would want to see all bills in both of your names. you should find some way to put him on morgage. if not, write down a statement and tell why you can't add him on. then, git the statement noterized.

Oh man...I have to add him?? ugggg.... :( ok then.....

Thanks

I personally don't think its a big deal. A lot of people send vacations taken together, bills with the same address etc. Do more research on this, I really don't think you should add him if your not ready yet. :thumbs:

01/01/2008 - Met
04/27/2010 - Engaged
08/23/2011 - Married
USCIS
10/03/2011 - I-130 Sent (USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/05/2011 - Package arrived at chicago lockbox
10/06/2011 - NOA1
11/09/2011 - NOA2 (no RFE's)
NVC
11/14/2011 - Petition received by NVC/ Received NOA2 by mail
11/21/2011 - NVC case # received by email/ Got AOS fee by email/ Called NVC to provide beneficiary email
11/27/2011 - Choice of agent (DS-3023) sent to NVC by email
.....took a break from process to delay interview....
01/26/2012 - Payed IV fee
01/27/2012 - IV fee status shown as PAID
02/07/2012 - Payed AOS fee
02/08/2012 - AOS fee status shown as PAID
02/09/ 2012 - DS-230 package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/06/2012 - AOS package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/12/2012 - Called NVC and found out about checklist. Sent revision to NVC that same day.
03/16/2012 - CASE COMPLETE!
04/11/2012 - Informed of interview via phone by DOS/ Got P4 email from NVC a few hours later that same day (May 4th)
SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE
04/19/2012 - Medical
05/04/2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
05/10/2012 - Visa ready and picked up at domex
05/15/2012 - POE in Boston (together)
U. S. A
05/29/2012 - Went to SS office to apply for SS card
06/01/2012 - Welcome letter arrived (Received about 3 of these)
06/05/2012 - Green card arrived
06/15/2012- Back to SS office with green card to reapply and inquire about delay
06/18/2012 - Picked up SSN at SSA office
06/22/2012 - SS card arrived by mail

04/24/14 - Sent I-751 to remove conditions

06/09/14 - Biometrics

11/2014 - RFE from USCIS requesting more evidence before approval

Late Jan - Sent further evidence of marriage

03/05/2015 - Got letter of approval for removal of conditions

03/15/2015 - Permanent 10 yr green card received via mail

Filed: Timeline

Oh man...I have to add him?? ugggg.... :( ok then.....

Thanks

No, you don't. We didn't. Doing so would have caused major problems with the mortgage company.

We put the utility bills in both names, and sent photocopies of our most recent bills. We also put our vehicles in both names, and included copies of the registrations, even though she didn't have a license to drive. She had medical insurance through work, so we added me to her insurance. Good deal for me, since I am self-employed, and saved about $500 a month on premiums. We opened a joint bank account, and I added her name to my existing accounts, including my business checking. Finally, we got statements from two of her friends. That, along with joint tax transcripts seemed to satisfy the USCIS, no interview.

You don't have to add him to any one particular thing, be it the life insurance, mortgage, etc. What USCIS will be looking for is evidence of your common life together, which includes intermingling of finances. Obviously the more you have, the better. But you may well have legitimate reasons for not adding him to some particular thing. If the totality of your evidence is good, he won't be denied because you don't have this or that particular thing together.

Having him on the health insurance is a good start. Joint bank account and car insurance will be helpful too. If you have a 401(k) or other retirement plan, you can add him as your beneficiary.

As for the house, you don't necessarily need to add him to the mortgage. You may be able to add him to the title without affecting the mortgage by filing a warranty or quitclaim deed transferring title from yourself to yourself and him as joint tenants. Even if you sell the house later, a copy of that deed from the local land records would be another piece of evidence you can use.

Finally, check the VJ guide to removing conditions. It has a pretty comprehensive list of evidence you can use.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

co-mingling of finances is a big thing for any ROC case.

not do the house deed? that's ok if you have stuff in other categories - like bank accounts, joint tax stuff, utility bills, POD instructions .

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

No, you don't. We didn't. Doing so would have caused major problems with the mortgage company.

We put the utility bills in both names, and sent photocopies of our most recent bills. We also put our vehicles in both names, and included copies of the registrations, even though she didn't have a license to drive. She had medical insurance through work, so we added me to her insurance. Good deal for me, since I am self-employed, and saved about $500 a month on premiums. We opened a joint bank account, and I added her name to my existing accounts, including my business checking. Finally, we got statements from two of her friends. That, along with joint tax transcripts seemed to satisfy the USCIS, no interview.

OK good to know. Like I said, I didn't want to add to the LI when I add him to the HI because I think its a little too early to make such a huge commitment, even if he is my husband, the reality is, we never know what can happen. The rest of the things you mentioned I have no problem with though. Seems pretty normal.

Thanks for all the tips ;)

You don't have to add him to any one particular thing, be it the life insurance, mortgage, etc. What USCIS will be looking for is evidence of your common life together, which includes intermingling of finances. Obviously the more you have, the better. But you may well have legitimate reasons for not adding him to some particular thing. If the totality of your evidence is good, he won't be denied because you don't have this or that particular thing together.

Having him on the health insurance is a good start. Joint bank account and car insurance will be helpful too. If you have a 401(k) or other retirement plan, you can add him as your beneficiary.

As for the house, you don't necessarily need to add him to the mortgage. You may be able to add him to the title without affecting the mortgage by filing a warranty or quitclaim deed transferring title from yourself to yourself and him as joint tenants. Even if you sell the house later, a copy of that deed from the local land records would be another piece of evidence you can use.

Finally, check the VJ guide to removing conditions. It has a pretty comprehensive list of evidence you can use.

Nice! I will start to look into all of this. I'd like to get it out of the way now, adding him or not, so that in a year I'm not cramming to make sure I have enough evidence for ROC

You do not have to add him to your life insurance. My husband isn't on mine (my daughter is the beneficiary) and that didn't pose any problems at our AOS interview. You also don't have to add him to the mortgage as that can be a huge hassle but adding him as a representative isn't a bad idea if you are comfortable with that.

They aren't looking for any one thing. They're looking for the broader picture. If you guys have nothing together that's a problem. One thing is not.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

You don't need to add to mortgage loan (it is costly, about a couple of thousand), but you can add to the deed (depends on the state how exactly that is done, most take a simple Quit Claim to do, in some others -like Texas-, it is a more elaborate form, but still doable by yourself at very low cost, less than 20 dollars). Not sure that is really necesary though, one option could be to setup a trust (if married, makes much sense specially in states where probate is mandatory) and in this trust (you want to make a revocable living trust, but my advice would be to check with an attorney -I am not one-) you set up spouse as beneficiary of house. I would think more important is to show joint bank accounts (which need to have transactions over time), joint taxes, etc. I'm in the same boat as you exactly, I had a trust before and just need to make changes to reflect my new status. I already have joint bank accounts, CCs and will file jointly of course. She is also in my health care plan and as beneficiary in my insurance and 401k.

You do not have to add him to your life insurance. My husband isn't on mine (my daughter is the beneficiary) and that didn't pose any problems at our AOS interview. You also don't have to add him to the mortgage as that can be a huge hassle but adding him as a representative isn't a bad idea if you are comfortable with that.

They aren't looking for any one thing. They're looking for the broader picture. If you guys have nothing together that's a problem. One thing is not.

Great - good to know. My kids are also my beneficiaries and I'd prefer it stay that way.

But we will have tons of other evidence/proof at that point which should suffice.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.