peejay

Senate backs fence along Mexico border

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
Senate backs fence along Mexico border

By Donna Smith and Richard Cowan

Fri Sep 29, 10:25 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Friday overwhelmingly agreed to authorize construction of a fence along the U.S. border with Mexico, sending to President George W. Bush before the November 7 elections a bill that Republicans hope will showcase their efforts to stop illegal immigration.

The Republican-written bill authorizing construction of about 700 miles of fence was one of the last bills to clear Congress as lawmakers prepared to leave Washington to campaign for the congressional elections. On a vote of 80-19 the Senate approved the bill already passed by the House of Representatives and it now goes to Bush for his signature.

Bush had sought broad immigration legislation that would create a guest-worker program to help provide a steady workforce for jobs Americans are either unable or unwilling to do. But he was unable to marshal support for it in the face of opposition from a solid group of House Republicans who pushed for tougher enforcement and border measures instead.

A separate bill approved by the House on Friday provided an initial $1.2 billion in funding for the fence and other border-security measures for the fiscal year that begins Oct 1. The money is part of a $34.8 billion bill for domestic security programs for the fiscal year that begins October 1.

The broad spending bill also criminalizes the construction of tunnels that could be secret passageways from Mexico or Canada for drug smugglers, illegal aliens or terrorists.

The Senate was expected to pass the funding bill quickly and send it on to Bush along with the fence authorization.

Opponents of the fence said it would be expensive and was not an effective deterrent to illegal immigration.

"This is a political gimmick," said Sen. Ken Salazar, a Democrat from Colorado. "It is not in the long-term interest of of the United States of America and the Western Hemisphere."

The government of Mexico on Thursday issued a statement expressing "its profound concern" with the fence. The statement, translated from Spanish, said such measures "are contrary to the spirit of cooperation that should prevail to guarantee security in the common border."

IMMIGRATION OVERHAUL

Backers of the fence said it was an important tool to clamp down against illegal immigration. An estimated 1.2 million illegal immigrants were arrested in the last fiscal year trying to cross into the United States along the border states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. Sections of the fence would be built in each state.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060930/pl_nm/...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

It's about 20 years too late, but better late than never. The next step is interior enforcement, employer sanctions, and real employment eligibility verification.

Considering that there is only 75 miles of fence presently...this will go a long way to deter illegal entry.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Timeline
It's about 20 years too late, but better late than never. The next step is interior enforcement, employer sanctions, and real employment eligibility verification.

Considering that there is only 75 miles of fence presently...this will go a long way to deter illegal entry.

I totally agree.

You'll hate this...I know a guy in Dallas who hires illegals for construction. He pays them $8 an hour; Americans get $20 for the same work. It's disgusting, isn't it? I asked him if he's afraid of getting caught and he claimed his aunt a.) works for the USCIS, b.) knows about his hiring practices and c.) doesn't care.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

The border is 2,000 miles long. The fence will be 700 miles.

Give me a break, this bill is nothing more than "sounds good on TV" soundbite-fodder.

Exactly. It leaves 2/3 of the border as it is. They probably put that 700 mile fence where nobody can pass anyways - with or without one. This is just another step in the process to get that amnesty through that farmers and other businesses want. Meaningless bullshite and a complete waste of yet another $1.2bn. Nothing more. :no:

Timeline

Give me a break, this bill is nothing more than "sounds good on TV" soundbite-fodder.

And they said the Wright brother's plane wouldn't get off the ground either.

The fact is that these fences have been very successful in strategic areas of the border. It is the enablers and obstructionists that sit in their armchairs nickle and diming any attempt to control illegal immigration for their own self serving agendas. Nobody is saying that this is the end all solution. There are a lot more things to be done.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

I agree, it is a start but unfortunately I would predict that they will still come through the un-fenced border areas and opponents will say "see we told you it wouldn't work".

Definately need to crack down on the employers who hire them. Take away their jobs, take away their MAIN reason for coming.

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

meaningless expense...they will simply walk around it. Build a 50 foot high fence and they will build a 51 foot ladder. Waste of money.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

I wouldn't know, old timer. Wasn't around back then.

The fact is that these fences have been very successful in strategic areas of the border. It is the enablers and obstructionists that sit in their armchairs nickle and diming any attempt to control illegal immigration for their own self serving agendas. Nobody is saying that this is the end all solution. There are a lot more things to be done.

Yes, there are. Let me ask you this: why didn't this bill do it?

Why do you think they picked 700 out of the 2,000 miles of border to fence?

Do you think they did it because that's all they have budgeting for? If so, then aren't they the ones doing the "nickle and diming"?

Or do you think they did it because they don't think Mexicans know about the other 1,300 miles?

Edited by Gupt

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Will it be a white picket fence built with illegal alien labor?

Date I-129F Sent : 03/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA1: 04/03/2006

I-129F RFE(s) : 08/10/2006

I-129F RFE Reply(s) : 08/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 08/18/2006

Date Package Received By NVC : 09/05/2006

Date Sent to Embassy: 09/18/2006 assigned number MNL2006743xxx

Date Embassy received 09/26/2006

letter-touched 10/17/2006

information on medical and interview 11/17/2006

Packet with Information 11/29/2006

Medical 1/12/2007

Interview 1/19/2007

Timeline

I wouldn't know, old timer. Wasn't around back then.

Yes, there are. Let me ask you this: why didn't this bill do it?

Why do you think they picked 700 out of the 2,000 miles of border to fence?

Do you think they did it because that's all they have budgeting for? If so, then aren't they the ones doing the "nickle and diming"?

Or do you think they did it because they don't think Mexicans know about the other 1,300 miles?

Why didn't this bill do it? You know why. I know why. There are heavy books that explain it in detail.

This certainly wouldn't be my first choice as a solution to illegal immigration. It is more symbolic than anything. A little baby step to get people to wake up. The nickle and diming has nothing to do with $$$. The $$$ are a piss in the ocean. I'm talking about the microscopic analysis that arm chair philosophers use to justify why we can't do anything about it at all...unless...

So what do you think? Trading an end to illegal immigration for unlocking the caps on H1B visas, unlimited caps (or close to it) on legal immigration, full amnesty for illegal immigrants with a path to citizenship, a guest worker program with all the checks and balances we currently enjoy through illegal immigration, etc., etc. What does that do for most Americans? I really want to know. It doesn't do squat for me or my family.

I would rather see the issue dealt with through a national referendum with the People deciding our direction and let the chips fall where they may. I could live with that. It won't happen, but at least that would be the most honest approach. It is our country, flawed as it may be. Unfortunately our country isn't run by referendum.

Unfortunately all we have now is entrenched institutional corruption. Laws on the books that various special interests actively circumvent for their own personal self serving interests. I can vote, but I cannot compete with the $$$. Neither can a majority of Americans. That is what it has come down to. Illegal immigration is just the sneeze in the overall illness.

i agree.. and for a fence of that size to work take tremendous manpower to monitor

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835