msd

Paperwork and Drivers License

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline

This might have already been discussed once but. I just realized how many times I already got a new drivers license and how many more times I will have to.

1. Got DL and it was valid for 3 months (because that's when the visa in my passport expired) - should have been valid for a year since the stamp on the visa makes it a temp. green card from the day of entry. I guess since it's Georgia and people in general are not smart, they overlooked this fine print in my passport.

Doesn't matter, because after the GC got here I had to:

2. get DL number 2, which was valid until the 2yr GC expires.

3. once I lift conditions, I need a new one that's valid for a year from when they send me the NOA which states that they recieved my paperwork and which I will have to carry around with my expired GC.

4. number 4 I have to get when I get the 10yr GC.

5. number 5 eventually when I naturalize.

Is there any way around having to apply for so many licenses?

I just posted this here because you all must have been through half of this as well and was wondering about your course of action.

Edited by msd

Alles wird gut und wenn es noch nicht gut ist, ist es noch nicht vorbei.

US Citizen as of Arpil 17 2014

This might have already been discussed once but. I just realized how many times I already got a new drivers license and how many more times I will have to.

1. Got DL and it was valid for 3 months (because that's when the visa in my passport expired) - should have been valid for a year since the stamp on the visa makes it a temp. green card from the day of entry. I guess since it's Georgia and people in general are not smart, they overlooked this fine print in my passport.

Doesn't matter, because after the GC got here I had to:

2. get DL number 2, which was valid until the 2yr GC expires.

3. once I lift conditions, I need a new one that's valid for a year from when they send me the NOA which states that they recieved my paperwork and which I will have to carry around with my expired GC.

4. number 4 I have to get when I get the 10yr GC.

5. number 5 eventually when I naturalize.

Is there any way around having to apply for so many licenses?

I just posted this here because you all must have been through half of this as well and was wondering about your course of action.

It must vary by state. I entered on a CR-1 visa. When I went to the DMV here in South Dakota with my 2 year green card, they either didn't notice it was only good for 2 years or they disregard it, because my first driver's license is good for 5 years, expiring in 2016.

Glad I'm not in your shoes as that is a lot of driver's licenses within a few short years.

Edited by Saylin

You mean you're not happy about having so many opportunities to visit the friendly, efficient folks at the DMV? rofl.gif

All kidding aside, it is a lot. Virginia's almost as bad. My wife will have to "renew" her DL once we get the ROC NOA1, and will then have to "renew" again after she gets the 10-year GC. Fortunately that one should be the last for a while. But "renew" is in quotations because Virginia doesn't actually allow limited-validity DLs to be renewed; they're processed as new original applications.

For now, I'm just hoping they'll accept her NOA1 and do the 1-year renewal so we don't have to make an InfoPass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in her passport. Based on VA DMV's track record so far, I'm worried it could go either way.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

It must vary by state. I entered on a CR-1 visa. When I went to the DMV here in South Dakota with my 2 year green card, they either didn't notice it was only good for 2 years or they disregard it, because my first driver's license is good for 5 years, expiring in 2016.

Glad I'm not in your shoes as that is a lot of driver's licenses within a few short years.

Similar down here in Colorado. Needed an EAD for the first license (so it was only valid for the duration of the EAD), but when that expired I was given a license for the full five years (despite only having a conditional GC).

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

You mean you're not happy about having so many opportunities to visit the friendly, efficient folks at the DMV? rofl.gif

All kidding aside, it is a lot. Virginia's almost as bad. My wife will have to "renew" her DL once we get the ROC NOA1, and will then have to "renew" again after she gets the 10-year GC. Fortunately that one should be the last for a while. But "renew" is in quotations because Virginia doesn't actually allow limited-validity DLs to be renewed; they're processed as new original applications.

For now, I'm just hoping they'll accept her NOA1 and do the 1-year renewal so we don't have to make an InfoPass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in her passport. Based on VA DMV's track record so far, I'm worried it could go either way.

I'm on VA license #3, and expecting to have to get 2 more in the future too! Stephen+Elisha, I got a VA DL last October with my ROC NOA1, no problem. I took the original NOA, you shouldn't need the stamp. If you get a issue make sure to escalate! I took along a copy of this memo - yes it's USCIS only and DMV don't HAVE to recognize it, but it might help if you get a problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Once you get your 10 year greencard, that should really be it. Most licences are then good for like 5-8 years depending on the state.

NY State gave me a licence good for 5 years with my 2 year greencard.

It was pretty ridiculous at first though, I had one that was good for 1 year based on my EAD. I didn't get one based on my I-94, since I knew that would've been a waste.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Be careful with that expiry date.

My husbands two year conditional GC ends in June and his original license in GA had an expiry date for 2015. However, the lady at the desk said that even though the expiry date was for 2015, in reality it expires in June 2012 because that's when his GC expires. She said it is illegal to have a drivers license without GC, and since as of yet, we have no extension on his GC, his license will expire in June.

I don't know if it's the same in SD, but once you hit the expired GC date, I'd be careful!!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

My husbands two year conditional GC ends in June and his original license in GA had an expiry date for 2015. However, the lady at the desk said that even though the expiry date was for 2015, in reality it expires in June 2012 because that's when his GC expires. She said it is illegal to have a drivers license without GC, and since as of yet, we have no extension on his GC, his license will expire in June.

I don't know if it's the same in SD, but once you hit the expired GC date, I'd be careful!!

Thanks for your story! I'll definitely call up the DMV and ask about this.

wow I am grateful that mine is good until 2015, providing I don't move states again!

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

Classic example of the lady at the DMV not understanding immigration procedures, and frankly.... talking out of her backside.

As long as an LPR applies for removal of conditions in the 3 month window, their conditional residence status does not expire. The NOA1 that they receive, affords a one year extension to their conditional resident status to allow USCIS to process the removal of conditions application.

In short - as long as you file before the "expiration" date on his GC, his license WILL NOT expire in June 2012.

Edited by N M

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.